Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

[Mobile] cricket paygo vs virgin paylo

if you you had to choose between cricket paygo or virgin paylo the winner would be ? and why ?

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1

They are both horrible. Why not Verizon or AT&T?

DelmarPip
Premium
Brownsville, TX

there phones cost more and so do the minutes

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to DelmarPip

This is not a forum for phones but I'll humor you. Straight Talk from Walmart is the best prepaid bet. $45/month unlimited everything.

DelmarPip
Premium
Brownsville, TX

sorry about posting here then i just saw it said wireless and mobile and i thought phones

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to DelmarPip

Neither... locally Cricket* roams off of Sprint ... which happens be be the same coverage as Virgin paylo- locally.. their coverage locally is lacking.

* Cricket will roam on other carriers besides just Sprint..

I use Pageplus... [who resells Verizon.].. who happens to have very good coverage locally. The minutes / plans from Pageplus are reasonable.

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
reply to wirelessdog

@wirelessdog: the name of the forum is CELLPHONES, providers and plans. That pretty much makes it sound like a forum for phones, at least to the casual viewer...

@DelmarPip: the answer to your question in complicated; with many variables. You named two: available phones and pricing of minutes. But to others the valuable elements might be coverage, or free roaming, or cheap data, or unlimited, or GSM vs CDMA, etc. So, rather than ask a very broad question, make sure we know what you are interested in.

If you live in a major metro area, and rarely leave it, coverage provided by T-Mo and Sprint resellers/MVNOs may be just fine. Heck, even a Clear 4G reseller (ugh). Me, I travel to lots of places where it's pretty much just Verizon and maaaaaybe AT&T. So, like @AMDUSER, I use Page Plus (Verizon MVNO). I used to be on the Standard Plan (paygo) and would buy one $80 PIN that lasted me for a year with minutes at $0.04. If I used minutes only, I got 2000 of them for my $80. Or, I could spend some of that money on $0.05 texts. I eventually graduated to a $12/mo plan that gives me 250min/250txt/10mb data (plenty, as it turns out, to occasionally check email) and now overages are $.0.05/0.05/0.10. Way more than I usually need...

So, "it depends".

Edit to add: re available phones, the phones sold directly by Page Plus aren't too hot. I bought myself a brand-new-in-box Verizon-branded Palm/HP Pre 2 from Amazon. Fantastic smartphone for $65 new. Orphan? Sure. But can I still get any type of app that I would EVER need (weather; tweaks; angry birds, e-readers, fandango, opentable, etc.)? Yup.

elvis100

join:2013-02-12

I don't know properly about the both.