uniqs
share rss forum feed

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

problems with TM722G after power failure

When I was using my SB6120 with a router and a seperate eMTA I never had this issue, now I am using a the HSI and Telephony capabilities of my Arris TM722G as a single device and this happens...

When the power goes out, of course the TM722G stays in battery backup mode with telephone only. but my router goes out not being on battery backup.

When the power comes back on, the modem starts up and I have no internet... I can ping the router at 192.168.1.1, I can go to the router setup page, I get DHCP addresses from the router, but the router says the internet is out.

If I reboot the router again, same thing, no internet...

now if I press the reset button on the eMTA, everything comes back on and the internet works now..

The MAC address doesn't change on the router, so why is this happening? it's almost like the eMTA doesn't realize the power is back on and has the internet disabled. However the Online and US/DS LED's are on along with the Link LED on the eMTA.

I get this with two different routers, so it's not the router itself, I think its the eMTA...

anyone know why this is happening? or is this a common issue with the TM722G device?

I could put everything back on a UPS, but would like to know why this happens... it shouldn't need to be rebooted to get the internet back at the eMTA level.

and before someone says maybe your node is out, that's not it either... we can call out when this happens, we just can't get online until I manually reset the eMTA... it will just sit like this for hours even until I reset it

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Click for full size
I also have a TM722G, and I don't think I've seen the problem you describe.

My power did go out for like 3 seconds the other day, causing my router (P3 Dell running PFSense) to reboot. During those 3 seconds, the Arris was on battery, and then switched right back to AC power without issue.

Once my router was back up, I could surf without any problems.

I don't think there are different firmwares out there for this modem, but just to compare, I've attached a picture of mine.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Hardware Information
System:

ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 1.5 Touchstone Telephony Modem
HW_REV: 3
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 1.2.1.25
SW_REV: 7.4.63A
MODEL: TM722G

Battery Charger FW Rev:02.30
Options:

Firmware Build and Revisions
Firmware Name:TS070463A_011312_MODEL_7_8
Firmware Build Time: Fri Jan 13 19:51:50 EST 2012

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

The only difference I see between mine and yours is below

Yours:
SW_REV: 7.4.63A
Mine:
SW_REV: 7.4.63A.SIP.PC20

Yours:
Firmware Name: TS070463A_011312_MODEL_7_8
Mine:
Firmware Name: TS070463A_011312_MODEL_7_8_SIP_PC20

No idea what the "SIP PC20" does, but that is the only difference I can see between the two sets of information.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to neufuse

I know this doesn't make sense, but you must power up the modem and your router in the correct order. I don't remember which must go first, so just try it each way. You MUST power down both for 30 at least seconds between tries. This happens to me whenever someone sneezes, er I mean the power goes out. IIRC, which I may not, I think your router must be powered up first. Don't complain if I got it backwards.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

Modem (has to be reset with the recessed reset button on the rear, not powered down)>router>client/s

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to neufuse

having to reset a modem when the power goes out is ridicilous... The MAC address doesn't change, that was one of the big issues with cable modems is when the MAC of the CPE changes the modem would have to be reset, but this is just a power outage, the modem turns off the internet part then reenables it at power gain... it shouldn't have to be "reset" to reenable the internet...

I never had to do this with my Moto SB6120 when it was on a UPS, when the power came back on and the router started up, the internet was right back where it was....

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

its a different type of device. if power outages are that frequent, but your emta on the same ups that your moto was on
--
I'm better than you!