Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0

Re: Now THESE are brakes

I wonder happens at highway speed if a car pulls in and cuts in short, will the system activate? What if the driver notices and swerves sharply as the system engages but he doesn't apply the brake, will the system keep breaking?

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

said by Thane_Bitter:

I wonder happens at highway speed if a car pulls in and cuts in short, will the system activate? What if the driver notices and swerves sharply as the system engages but he doesn't apply the brake, will the system keep breaking?

I'd prob have it turned off in a city, maybe in adverse viability or long stretches of highway rolling.

I drive nothing near as big as that AZ rig and at least twice a week I have someone cut with a 1/4 car length, have to hard brake to reestablish a safe distance. That's the drivers job, having some system cut in to hard brake would be quite the change.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

i believe the system looks for deceleration of the object in front of it (to sense an impending impact)...so if someone cut in front, but continued at a decent rate of speed, it wouldn't intervene...i believe the system automatically applies the brakes...when you look at that video, its ability to stop the truck in that last 15-20 feet is incredible.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by Thane_Bitter:

i believe the system looks for deceleration of the object in front of it (to sense an impending impact)...so if someone cut in front, but continued at a decent rate of speed, it wouldn't intervene...i believe the system automatically applies the brakes...when you look at that video, its ability to stop the truck in that last 15-20 feet is incredible.

In that case it would be firing off a lot on the NYS I-90 as those idiots pass you at 1 mph speed differential and then pull in front of you 20' away and slow down.