uniqs

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

1 edit

Raphion to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

Re: [FireFox] FF 18 sluggish,.........

18.0.1 required administrator rights to install, because it came with a "mozilla maintenance service" which appears to be like google's update service.

However, 18 has been, and still is, using 100% of one CPU core, and I cannot get it to stop. Closing all tabs, shutting down addons, and even letting it run in admin for a while hasn't helped. =/ I'm on the verge of reinstalling it from scratch.

[edit] False alarm I guess, restarting system fixed FF's CPU eating problem. I guess something went corrupt elsewhere in the system that threw FF off. This comp is getting too old.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

Firefox now installs an optional service called the Mozilla Maintenance Service. This service allows Firefox to install updates without requiring you to click yes in the Windows User Account Control (UAC) dialog.

No thanks!

I have UAC enabled for a reason.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion

said by Cartel:

Firefox now installs an optional service called the Mozilla Maintenance Service. This service allows Firefox to install updates without requiring you to click yes in the Windows User Account Control (UAC) dialog.

No thanks!

I have UAC enabled for a reason.

Oh so THAT'S why so much software wants to have it's own service installed nowdays. Just to bypass the UAC prompts. Unreal.

So now every software vendor makes their own service, so they don't have to count on the user authorizing whatever it is they feel like tampering with from then on.