how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TehZomB

join:2010-11-16
Berlin, MD

[DE] Mediacom and NBA, NHL, MLB TV/Networks

I recently cancelled my "Sports & Information" package because the only thing I really want on it is NFL Network (NBC sports is good too, but not worth $8/mo since its games aren't blacked out on NHL GC). It left me wondering - why doesn't Mediacom have the sports leagues' networks? I'd gladly pay a little extra on my sports package to watch more Hockey or Basketball. No NBA TV for mediacom customers either even though it's a premium thing.

Also, on a more local note, maybe Chad can answer, why isn't Comcast Sports in HD?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:117
We broadcast the channels as they are made available to us.

Bierboy

join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to TehZomB
said by TehZomB:

...why isn't Comcast Sports in HD?

It's been HD in our Mediacom market for several years now...

garn91

join:2005-01-15
Ankeny, IA
said by Bierboy:

said by TehZomB:

...why isn't Comcast Sports in HD?

It's been HD in our Mediacom market for several years now...

My guess is two different CSN's, two different carriage agreement's.

Here in Central Iowa, CSN Chicago is frequently. However, when FS Midwest replaced FS Chicago as the RSN in these parts, Mediacom cited FS Midwest's carriage of Big 12 sports as the deciding factor over CSN Chicago.

TehZomB

Berlin, MD
reply to TehZomB
Ah, see the only regional sports networks here are CSN Washington (DC) and MASN. MASN has the O's and Nats opposed to CSNW which gets the Wiz and Caps, I guess the management just likes Baseball more.

I just wish Mediacom was better for sports fans, is all.

wiperman

join:2000-08-18
Ocean View, DE
I really miss seeing my Caps in HD. However, considering the way they have been playing maybe it is a blessing in disguise.

dwiecking

join:2002-10-28
Bethany Beach, DE
reply to TehZomB
Keep in mind that CSN, and its predecessor HTS, have been on this cable system since LONG before HD or CSN+. All 4 flavors of MASN (2 analog, 2 HD) are much more recent additions to the local Mediacom franchise, and negotiated that all of them must be available. Unless there's a HUGE outcry (more than just wiperman, TehZonB and I), I wouldn't expect a renegotiation with CSN allowing us to actually be able to see a hockey puck on this cable system unless it's part of a national digital network (NBC or NBCsports), or Mediacom decides to convert this area to an all digital system.

wiperman

join:2000-08-18
Ocean View, DE
We are such small potatoes and the competition is so limited in our area I am sure Mediacom is in no particular hurry to convert us to all digital.

However, I really like Delaware not withstanding that the shore area seems techno-challenged - limited HDTV and terrible cell phone service (Verizon) from within my house.

TehZomB

Berlin, MD
reply to dwiecking
Good point. I remember when MASN first arrived, my friends and neighbors went crazy.

Hopefully something comes up soon.

dwiecking

join:2002-10-28
Bethany Beach, DE
reply to wiperman
I assume that when another Mediacom franchise gets converted to digital, they have lots of surplus analog equipment. I wonder if they send it all to Lower Slower DE so they can keep this system running as it is with minimal investment.

If you were in Fenwick, or some of the small developments just north, you would be on the OC Comcast system. Anything north of Indian River is on the Rehoboth Comcast system. Those of us in the middle are indeed small potatos.

(Re VZW-when I first used to bring my DC area cellphone here in the 90's, it was a 50/50 choice as to whether the call would connect via a cellsite in Berlin, MD or Wildwood, NJ.)