wideglide36

join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·voip.ms

Import GV contacts into a voip provider

Hey guys,

I would like to import my Google Voice contacts into my voip providers but neither provider apparently can do this unless I modify the csv file using Excel or Open Office.

Not really sure if I could even do that. Don't really use those types of programs.

Is there any easier way that might accomplish this task, or

am I destined to enter each contact one at a time?

Gosh I hope not.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

You should be able to import a phonebook in CSV format into providers such as CallCentric or Voip.MS or various others.

What specific issue have you run into?

How did the issue of doing modifications come up?

Just make backup copies of any CSV files that you want to work with, and plunge into it.

No harm will occur, because you will have your backup copy. So at worst you won't be any worse off.

This may help too.
»www.ehow.com/how_6901359_edit-cs···ats.html

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·voip.ms

Thanks PX,

I have created a csv file with all of my contacts from my GV account and have it stored on my PC.

Trying to import that file to either voip.ms or callcentric gives error messages and will not import any of my contacts.

Submitted support tickets to both providers and CC responded first and they were the ones who advised me to modify the csv file in order to try to import it into my CC phone book.

I would imagine that when I hear from voip.ms, the explanation will probably be something close to what support at CC told me.

I really don't know anything about excel or open office to try to modify the csv file and was simply hoping that someone on here may have had similar issues and figured out an easier way to import contacts from GV to either CC or voip.ms.

I thought that maybe you could go into your GV account and modify the way the contacts are listed or even the other info associated with each contact in order to be able to import to the two providers I mentioned.

I could probably just put them in one at a time. It would probably be quicker than me trying to figure out the excel and open office programs and trying to modify using those programs.

Thanks again.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

The link that I posted above has instructions on how to edit a CSV file using Notepad or Wordpad (see item # 5 on that page).

Your Windows computer almost certainly has one or both.

So you don't have to use Excel.

After making a backup copy of the file, just use Notepad or Wordpad to open it.

You'll see how the data is organized, it will be in plain text.

Hopefully then any modifications should be straightforward.

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
kudos:1
reply to wideglide36

If for some reason you cannot easily do what you need to do in a text editor, there is a great little freeware program called CSVEdit (Google it) that will let you do various manipulations of CSV files.

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·voip.ms
reply to wideglide36

Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to the support guys over at voip.ms.

They actually edited and imported my csv file from GV and all my contacts are now in my phone book at voip.ms.

Even though I should have been more knowledgeable on how to do this, they really went above and beyond the call in this instance.

Something tells me that I'm going to remember this.

Thanks again to all who helped.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

said by wideglide36:

Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to the support guys over at voip.ms.

They actually edited and imported my csv file from GV and all my contacts are now in my phone book at voip.ms.

Even though I should have been more knowledgeable on how to do this, they really went above and beyond the call in this instance.

Something tells me that I'm going to remember this.

Thanks again to all who helped.

That's really fantastic, above and beyond!