uniqs
share rss forum feed

CajunWon

join:2005-12-30
Cary, NC

1 edit

Transfer case full of pink milkshake!

Jeep Grandcherokee 94 w/NP231 CommandTrac
Checking fluid level today, really only because I had an appropriate wrench in-hand.
Looks like a MCD Strawberry milkshake,not that I recall ever having one.

Had been sitting for 2 day, even the bottom drain plug had the same pink milkshake. Immediately drained and refilled, this time with 5/30 motor oil.

Transmission fluid was normal color.

Puzzled how,what I believe to be, water got in there. ?

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

Re: Transaxle full of pink milkshake!

Well that would depend on when the last time you checked it was. If its been in there since Shep was a little puppy, then chances are the moisture is accumulated condensation which occurs in colder weather. If you keep up with checking fluids fairly often, then it is likely a larger issue, like a shaft seal that is allowing water inside. With the exception of a cracked case, that's about the most likely place for it to enter.

CajunWon

Cary, NC

Check at least annually & 4-5 months ago when I did add 1/2qt which was likely only the second time having to add that much. Have not driven through deep water. Shaft seals, transaxle, have never been replaced 185k miles -good point will check after next rain drive.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
reply to CajunWon

There is a vent off the top of the transfer case that runs up to the top of the firewall. It may run to the top of the bell housing.

It may have gotten water splashed on it.

CajunWon

Cary, NC

Thought there was no vent, but there it is. Will inspect next weekend. Has not previously been an issue.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·Atlantic Nexus

Thanks for the pic. Now I see the hose and filter is missing.

I always thought that open pipe on the bell housing was odd

Could have been when I had the transmission rebuilt (I found out about the "4-5th gear hub metal fatigue" problem when I was on a trip.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

Wow, the whole vent idea is so far off the mark that I don't even....

Check the radiator this time.
There is this little thing called a trans cooler at the bottom and if the radiator takes a dump antifreeze goes directly into the trans cooler.
The antifreeze probably looks like the drippings from a sick cats arse since it is trans fluid mixed with antifreeze also.

BTW, the ONLY time to bother about the vent is when you are sitting with the engine off in 4 foot deep water.....for hours.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Wow, the whole trans cooler idea is so far off the mark that I don't even....

Perhaps you should re-read the post.

He's speaking about his transfer case.

"Transmission fluid was normal color."

shdesigns