share rss forum feed

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to C0deZer0

Re: Seriously? PS4 to use AMD cpu???

"Yes, because PC devs feel like it's a sin against everything if they have to spend more than 30 minutes optimizing anything to run well on a broad range of hardware. Tech Demo companies in particular are guilty of this - such as id and CryTek."

Tell me about it. One of the small contributing annoyances that built up for me with Diablo 3 and the latest expansion of WoW was how horribly they ran on my system. I noticed a huge difference between Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria when trying to multi-task (and by multi-task I mean browse the web). My system is 4.5 years old, yes, but still, WoW was one of those games that was never terribly graphically intensive. One huge change they made was that they removed the ability to turn off shadows. Even with every graphical setting on both Diablo 3 and WoW turned down to the lowest setting, it became an exercise in frustration. I like the fact that when I stick a game in my Xbox 360, it's going to play as intended without me tweaking a ton of settings and being frustrated.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 edit

said by danawhitaker:

Tell me about it. One of the small contributing annoyances that built up for me with Diablo 3 and the latest expansion of WoW was how horribly they ran on my system. I noticed a huge difference between Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria when trying to multi-task (and by multi-task I mean browse the web). My system is 4.5 years old, yes, but still, WoW was one of those games that was never terribly graphically intensive. One huge change they made was that they removed the ability to turn off shadows. Even with every graphical setting on both Diablo 3 and WoW turned down to the lowest setting, it became an exercise in frustration. I like the fact that when I stick a game in my Xbox 360, it's going to play as intended without me tweaking a ton of settings and being frustrated.

You're comparing an MMORPG poor performance to that of your Xbox 360? If there was an MMO available on Xbox to compare to performance wise, you might have an argument.

Also, I don't even want to know how crappy of a PC you have, if it can't even run WoW on the lowest of settings. LOL

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

Diablo 3 isn't an MMORPG, it's an ARPG with some multiplayer thrown in and is where I first started to have serious issues. It seemed like many of the graphical "advances" they made in that got thrown into the next WoW expansion. One example of an unnecessary change was removing the ability to turn off shadows completely. I suspect that alone is the sole reason I had to kick things down from solidly medium settings into low.

I have a kid. I'd love to build a top of the line machine, but the money isn't always there. And if you'd like to see how "crappy of a PC" I have, feel free to look at my profile, that should contain the system specs from my last build. The only difference would be the graphics card, which I replaced in August, and hard drive space.

It *can* run WoW, but not as well as it used to. That would be a more accurate statement. I could still run the LFR with 25 people okay, and dungeons. But there was a distinct shift between the two expansions.

My argument is still valid either way. If there were an MMO for 360, it would play equally on each 360, and not vary - because every 360 is fundamentally identical. The developers don't have to worry about tweaking it for lots of different hardware combinations. People who own a 360 (or substitute PS3 or Wii U here, it's not really relevant, I just used that one because that's the one I play the most right now) know that a game released on the 360 in 2005 will play, and a game released on the 360 in 2013 will play without issue. The same can't be said for someone who built a PC with that same time gap.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

said by danawhitaker:

Diablo 3 isn't an MMORPG.

I didn't say it was.

said by danawhitaker:

I have a kid. I'd love to build a top of the line machine, but the money isn't always there. And if you'd like to see how "crappy of a PC" I have, feel free to look at my profile, that should contain the system specs from my last build. The only difference would be the graphics card, which I replaced in August, and hard drive space.

It *can* run WoW, but not as well as it used to. That would be a more accurate statement. I could still run the LFR with 25 people okay, and dungeons. But there was a distinct shift between the two expansions.

I understand having kids, etc. blah blah blah. I have 2 myself. But complaining about how a brand new WoW expansion doesn't run well for you with 2 years between releases with only a minimum GPU upgrade, is non sense. You've already admitted to running an ancient PC even before MoP released. And then complain when it doesn't run well? Hmm.

said by danawhitaker:

My argument is still valid either way. If there were an MMO for 360

But there's not. And probably never will be an MMO on a console.

If you want to speculate on how well your Xbox would run an MMO, then have at it. I'm not getting into an argument based on speculation.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

1 edit

I'm not trying to compare an MMO. You're completely missing my point here. It could be any PC game. It doesn't have to be an MMO. Any PC game will play differently on each PC, whereas the 360 game will play exactly the same on each 360. No tweaking required. It could be The Sims. It could be Call of Duty. I picked WoW or Diablo 3 (which again, is not an MMO) because those are the only PC games I've played in recent history. I played Sims 3 in 2007-2008 after I had first built the PC.

Point being, Microsoft doesn't make me upgrade the hardware in my 360 every few years to keep playing new games. The 360 I bought in 2008 will play any 360 game released today without trying to catch on fire. PC game developers have no qualms about not caring about throwing PC gamers under the bus when it comes to hardware requirements.

Edit: And you're actually wrong. There is an MMORPG on a console. DC Universe Online is available for the PS3 in addition to the PC.

Edit 2: And I'll concede that on occasion consoles have released certain "upgrades" that are at the very least recommended if not required for certain games, like with Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64. But at least that is one consistent upgrade that everyone with a Nintendo 64 can buy and know will work the way it's supposed to, without trying to play a guessing game about which piece of hardware might end up providing the most benefit.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

I had DC universe installed on my PC, and dumped it shortly after. It ran like a huge crap fest.

I then installed DC universe on my PS3 and it ran fine.
Both devices are about the same age, but the PS3 is more powerful then my PC.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

If you want to speculate on how well your Xbox would run an MMO, then have at it. I'm not getting into an argument based on speculation.

Except there are MMO's on consoles. Final Fantasy XI on Xbox 360 for one; and DC UO for PS3. that's not even accounting for PSO 1 & 2 on Dreamcast and Gamecube.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Nintendo never gets online (Until now) or HD (Finally 1080p but the other consoles will have support for 4k), everyone copies Nintendo... Rinse and repeat

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to C0deZer0

said by C0deZer0:

said by Ghastlyone:

Except there are MMO's on consoles. Final Fantasy XI on Xbox 360 for one; and DC UO for PS3. that's not even accounting for PSO 1 & 2 on Dreamcast and Gamecube.

PSO is NOT a real MMO sorry to say. A multiplayer team of 4 is not in the same league as an MMO.

I played that game on the DC and GC. It was fun but not an MMO.