kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to jig

Re: My addition will take almost 2 miles of Cat 6

Only active Cat 6 cable will be energized and connected to a switch. The goal is to be able to relocate furniture within the room.

I anticipate 5-10 active wired connections per room, but wished to have the ability to move furniture around as desired.

The plan is to expand the LAN with 48 port PoE capable Cisco managed LAN switches as needed. Initially two 48 port switches will be installed with room for up to 6 in the main network rack.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

said by pandora:

The goal is to be able to relocate furniture within the room.

with 7 outlets of cat6 and rg6..how many furniture relocation are you expecting to do in say 5-10 years?

that's also a lot of outlets to cover up with furniture so it won't be unsightly...

planning is about putting in the right amount of cables and then some but not overkilling it to the max...

ImpetusEra
Premium
join:2004-05-19
reply to pandora

said by pandora:

Only active Cat 6 cable will be energized and connected to a switch. The goal is to be able to relocate furniture within the room.

I anticipate 5-10 active wired connections per room, but wished to have the ability to move furniture around as desired.

The plan is to expand the LAN with 48 port PoE capable Cisco managed LAN switches as needed. Initially two 48 port switches will be installed with room for up to 6 in the main network rack.

How big are these rooms that they need that many drops? I would think 6 RG6 and 12 CAT6 per room would be a more reasonable number. For switching maybe a modular chassis would be better suited. Cisco or HP Procurve, populate chassis as needed.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to medbuyer

said by medbuyer:

with 7 outlets of cat6 and rg6..how many furniture relocation are you expecting to do in say 5-10 years?

The question is more what will be the useful life of gigabit Ethernet cables in a home. If these cables become useless over time, it's easy to remove the outlet and patch the wall.

The intention is to not have Ethernet outlets define the furniture layout. I don't view Ethernet outlets are more or less unsightly than any other outlet or switch.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by pandora:

The question is more what will be the useful life of gigabit Ethernet cables in a home. If these cables become useless over time, it's easy to remove the outlet and patch the wall.

The intention is to not have Ethernet outlets define the furniture layout. I don't view Ethernet outlets are more or less unsightly than any other outlet or switch.

useful life? when my house was built back in 06 and we closed in early 07, my planned ethernet wiring worked so much in my favor such that i didnt need to add / remove or have unsightly outlets to cover with furniture or consider it in mind when moving furniture..and I expect to have the wiring good for another 5-10 years at least...

it's not about what the cable can handle bandwidth wise, it's the amount of cables that's having everybody scratching their heads for you...that's like 2 outlets on 3 walls and 1 on the 4th on a square or whatever shape room...really insane...

EDIT: the op did say there were only 4 outlets in a room with 7 runs of cat6 per outlet...my bad...

i spent money where I planned it to be and expect to spend a little bit if I needed more of what I expected or planned...

i understand your intention about the ethernet outlets not defining the furniture layout but what you did may have well contradicted your intention and you didn't know it...

but then again, you're the guy who does everything in overdrive mode...400amp on a residential setting...

»The renovation continues ... today new 400 amp service!