kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV

Auto Transmission fluid change

I have 80k+ miles on my 03 Ranger and its about time for a Auto transmission fluid change.

My question..

The shop that will be doing the work for me said I could either do a drain and fill ($49.99) or a Flush ($99.99)

What should I do?
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Drain and fill.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
Thats what I was thinking because, if i were to do a flush, that might mess up some of the seals, etc.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to PrntRhd
said by PrntRhd:

Drain and fill.

+1

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to Jackarino

Well it depends....

Are you having any operational issues, or is it just a maintenance service?

Keep in mind, the drain and fill only results in the fluid within the transmission pan being drained, and nothing else. Essentially, that's about 30-40% of the total amount of fluid within the transmission. With the flush, you remove better than 90% of the fluid in the transmission, which is obviously desirable. If the goal is to put in new fluid, then let's get as much of the old stuff out as possible.

Your concern about "messing up some of the seals, etc" is not valid. The flush operation does not somehow cause seal failures, or any other kind of failure for that matter. The machine simply captures the fluid as it exits the transmission through the cooler circuit, and supplies the other side of the cooler circuit with fresh new fluid. That's it. The fluid is pumped by the transmission pump as it does any other time it is operating. There is nothing wrong with this, and it cannot cause damage.

Now, in the case of having operational issues, I would actually perform *both* services, first removing the pan and replacing the filter, refilling to proper levels, and then performing the flush. It was a "best of both worlds" situation then. New fluid; all of it, plus a new filter.

Think about it--- Would you want to only replace 2-3 quarts of your engine's oil during an oil change?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Matt, yet again I think folks are getting solvent flushes, and ATF flushes confused.

No to solvents, yes to fresh ATF.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

said by Juggernaut:

Matt, yet again I think folks are getting solvent flushes, and ATF flushes confused.

It doesn't help that repair shops might call, or people ask for, a drain and fill, solvent flush, or fluid flush all a "transmission flush" without specifying what exactly they are doing. Or an unscrupulous shop up-selling on whatever flush is the most expensive regardless if it's needed or even appropriate to perform.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

So very true....

I also "just say no" to solvents or any other of the added chemicals, and just used fluid only.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to mattmag
I'm just doing this for maintenance purposes
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

1 edit
said by Jackarino:

I'm just doing this for maintenance purposes

With 80k on it, I would want to change all of the fluid. What kind of shop is doing the work? I would have the flush done where they will follow your instruction to only add fluid, and NOT perform a solvent flush or anything similar.

Old fluid out, new fluid in. End of job.

At 80k with no issues, the filter will be just fine.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Make sure they also drain the torgue converter and the oil cooler.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

That's the purpose of a flush, to replace all of the fluid in the system. Torque converters used to be equipped with drain plugs, but nearly all have been eliminated. The only way to do the job is with a fluid flush machine.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to mattmag
It's one of those oil change places. Not a chain place though.

They have done some work for me already and I can't complain.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016