join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to bwash

Premium Member

to bwash

Re: How to lease SB6141?

Sure. You'll be going without service until you upgrade to a wideband package, or TWC stops deploying DOCSIS 2 hardware entirely.

If you call them for a new modem, they'll say no because the modem you have is working perfectly and you do not require a DOCSIS 3 modem.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

said by cramer:

Sure. You'll be going without service until you upgrade to a wideband package, or TWC stops deploying DOCSIS 2 hardware entirely.

Not really true. TWC requires Turbo and above to use Docsis 3 modem. If you were to rent the modem, you can request a Docsis 3 modem, however, the SB6141 might not be available in your Division but there's nothing wrong if you ask for it.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

When did they change their mindpolicy on that?

The bottom line still stands... you get whatever they've got on the truck; you can ask for a 6141 but that doesn't mean you'll end up with one. (and they aren't going to send someone out to swap out a working, supported modem.)

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

said by cramer:

The bottom line still stands... you get whatever they've got on the truck; you can ask for a 6141 but that doesn't mean you'll end up with one. (and they aren't going to send someone out to swap out a working, supported modem.)

Since they start charging for rentals, they required turbo to use D3 modems. It makes sense to ask for a D3 modem if you are paying for rental. The OP can go to a TWC office and swap for a D3 modem.
»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· dem.html

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
said by cramer:

I think they changed their policy when they bumped the download speed for Turbo up to 20 Mbps.
bwash
Premium Member
join:2005-02-24
Diamond Bar, CA

bwash to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint
Blueprint, thanks for suggesting that I go to the local office, I will check with to see if they even have any SB6141s availabe, if not I will stick with my old SB5120.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
He IS on Wideband. 20/2 (Turbo) is wideband and requires a DOCSIS 3 modem. It sounds like you think he has Standard at either 10/1 ( in Hawaii that is all islands except Oahu) or 15/1 (standard for Oahu.

anon_5224
join:2001-10-23
united state
Asus RT-AC66

anon_5224

that may be true in your market but in the Midwest Region Turbo is allowed on D2+ modems, I see it all the time. there's plenty of bandwidth for 2Mb/s up on a D2 channel, but of course multiple channels being bonded ensures a more consistent connection, and since there's no powerboost on Turbo (just standard now) there's little reason not to get a D3 modem anyway.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Around here, unless they've changed their song, "Lite", "Standard", and "Turbo" are D2 plans, "Extreme" (30/5), and "Ultimate" (50/5) are wideband/D3 plans. Will they let you use a D3 modem with a D2 plan? Sure, esp. if you own the modem, but they aren't likely to give you a new D3 modem. (they have a small warehouse of old D2's while the D3's are in "limited supply" -- which is why our recent BC line was originally setup with a "residential" modem -- it was a rush job (the whole office move was) and that's what he had.)