share rss forum feed

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

1 edit

Recently quit smoking marjiuana

I recently just quit it not only for the obvious reasons but also because quite frankly, it was time to give it up. I do understand that now my body must start producing it's own melatonin again when it comes to being able to sleep normal again and that will take some time.

The real problem I am having is on and off anxiety/panic attacks which I realize can be normal but how long will that take to wear off? I had one of these attacks while driving down the freeway. I managed to make it home however this does scare me quite a bit. Any insight into how to lessen up these attacks as well?
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
I don't really know how to help but there is a subreddit for this, seems pretty active. You could post there or just read.

»www.reddit.com/r/leaves

Cthen

Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
Thank you! The info there seems to be very helpful with others who have had this same thing happen.

According to the consensus there, the attacks should wear off more and more over 2 weeks (it's been a week for me). One suggestion there I am going to try is drinking green tea twice a day to help relieve things.

Thank you again for that link!
--

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Cthen
I had this problem when I gave up smoking tobacco. The best advice I can give is just keep remembering that these attacks is just your body protesting. It will probably last a few weeks and the more you remind your self it's just a protest the sooner the attacks will lower their intensity.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to Cthen
You're welcome and best of luck.

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

1 recommendation

reply to Cthen
Rehab!

screavan

join:2012-11-27
Pearcy, AR
reply to Cthen
I have the same problem but I quit smoking cigarettes I considered going back or doing something less damaging like cigars. I find that my deal with anxiety is when I smoked I would frequently leave stressful situations and clear my mind with a cig to think about the situation. Now i just try to tackle it through and through without these "breaks" that's my problem. Now I take the break again when I come to a challenging situation I will stop and do something else and come back at it.

I guess that's why I always said that cigs were my crutch because it forced me to take a breather despite it being bad air (literally).

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
said by screavan:

I find that my deal with anxiety is when I smoked I would frequently leave stressful situations and clear my mind with a cig to think about the situation.

Interesting you mentioned that. My late father was a life long pipe smoker and quit. What he found was much like you, there is a big social component to smoking. Years after he quit he would find himself going through the motions of loading his pipe to as a way to gain time to respond to a situation.

/tom

Cthen

Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to battleop
said by battleop:

I had this problem when I gave up smoking tobacco.

That is next for me after getting past this one. I turned 39 back in November and started to realize that these habits just aren't doing me any favors. I did good for about 3 weeks when my ex-wife and I were together but relapsed. Currently I am doing ok keeping to a pack a day instead of 2 packs a day.
--

battleop

join:2005-09-28
Quitting weed is easy, cigarettes is hell. Everyone wants to tell you how wonderful quitting cigarettes. Just realize that they are full of shit on the front end. You will fell like crap and you will think you are dying. Stick to it and after about 6 weeks the hell will start to go away and after 2-3 months you will hit a point where your cravings are one. After about 6 months you will be at a point to where you were before you started.

When I quit I did it without drugs or a patch. Most importantly you have to want to quit. If you do not have the desire or motivation to quit you won't. In my case I quit because my son was born and I decided to be a better role model.

Find your motivation and know on the front end it's no an easy task. I really wish my doctor an others had been honest up front about how tough it would be. If they had I would have probably had an easier time.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

unavailable

@tds.net
reply to Cthen
Been there, done that. I still smoke bud, but it's very, very, rarely. Once or twice a year.

I was a full-on stoner for over a decade too. It was difficult, although not like trying to quit cigarettes. Something I still haven't done.

It's been about 15 yrs since I quit pot too, so my memory of the withdrawals is pretty foggy. I do remember anxiety and anger, though. Marijuana was my coping mechanism and I did feel kind of naked without it. But, I'd say it was a rough couple of weeks and a non-issue by the one month mark. Again, it's not like kicking anything serious, IMO. More of a slight aggravation.

I'd say, you should feel better after a week and certainly after two.

raz58
NSFW
Premium
join:1999-08-15
Arizona
reply to Cthen
Chamomile Tea will work better than Green tea.

kiamsiamdala

join:2001-11-05
Utica, MI
reply to Cthen
The treadmill helped me a lot with quitting smoking, weed and vicodins. I also lift weights and gave up coffee for green tea. For sleep I took melatonin and tryptophan. I quit all three at the same time about 6 weeks ago and can say that it does get a lot better. I'd also advise cleaning up your diet, if needed, and always remind yourself why you quit in the first place. Also, try your best to avoid situations that might trigger a relapse. Good luck.
--
'void planets roll regardless of desolation'

Tratataira

join:2013-01-21
reply to Cthen
You do know Codeine is sold over the counter in Ontario and it cures anxiety really well?

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to Cthen
said by Cthen:

The real problem I am having is on and off anxiety/panic attacks which I realize can be normal but how long will that take to wear off? I had one of these attacks while driving down the freeway. I managed to make it home however this does scare me quite a bit. Any insight into how to lessen up these attacks as well?

Well Maybe you are one really psycho/psychically dependent not usually the case quiting pot is normally FAR easier to do than tobacco. One (tobacco) is physically addictive the other is only in your head, and just requires a modicum of will power.

THC is nowhere near as addictive as nicotine is or hard to lay off. Even going back occasionally now and then is not like nicotine.

BUT if you find Pot difficult never think pick up a tobacco cig.
--

Cthen

Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

1 edit
reply to Tratataira
said by Tratataira:

You do know Codeine is sold over the counter in Ontario and it cures anxiety really well?

I can get Codeine for free from my father as the government here mails it to him and he does not take it on a regular basis to avoid developing an addiction. Not only that, it's not worth going over to Canada for it.

As for me, no I don't need another addiction. Very bad advice on your part.
--

Cthen

Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Hayward
said by Hayward:

said by Cthen:

Well Maybe you are one really psycho/psychically dependent not usually the case quiting pot is normally FAR easier to do than tobacco. One (tobacco) is physically addictive the other is only in your head, and just requires a modicum of will power.

THC is nowhere near as addictive as nicotine is or hard to lay off. Even going back occasionally now and then is not like nicotine.

BUT if you find Pot difficult never think pick up a tobacco cig.

I don't find it difficult, just needed some advice on how deal with the anxiety/panic attacks from the withdraws as mentioned in my first post.

Heck what is surprising is that I am not even having any cravings which I do like.
--

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
said by Cthen:

. . . just needed some advice on how deal with the anxiety/panic attacks . . .

I've been having weekly shrink sessions for more then five years and it seems to be working because I can't remember the last panic attack

--
January is National Oatmeal Month

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to Cthen
Your story sounds strange to me(not to say it isn't true) because the "anxiety/panic attacks" were the main reasons I quit smoking Marijuana years ago.

When I was a regular user I thought food tasted better when high, sleep was more "restful", computer games were more entertaining when I could just zone out into the game.

Then the paranoia and depression started and getting high was no longer enjoyable.

Legality and cost were never factors for various reasons.

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to battleop
said by battleop:

Quitting weed is easy, cigarettes is hell. Everyone wants to tell you how wonderful quitting cigarettes. Just realize that they are full of shit on the front end. You will fell like crap and you will think you are dying. Stick to it and after about 6 weeks the hell will start to go away and after 2-3 months you will hit a point where your cravings are one. After about 6 months you will be at a point to where you were before you started.

Could be because I smoked cigarettes for only ten years and had started late in life, it wasn't super difficult for me to quit, for the first couple weeks or so when a craving hit I would get a snack, Pop-tarts seemed to be the best in killing the cravings.

I do have to be honest and say it did take me three tries before I finally quit and COST was the primary reason for quitting, I liked smoking.

It has been three and a half years and I still get cravings.

Cthen

Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to JustBurnt
said by JustBurnt :

Your story sounds strange to me(not to say it isn't true) because the "anxiety/panic attacks" were the main reasons I quit smoking Marijuana years ago.

When I was a regular user I thought food tasted better when high, sleep was more "restful", computer games were more entertaining when I could just zone out into the game.

Then the paranoia and depression started and getting high was no longer enjoyable.

Legality and cost were never factors for various reasons.

Yes on the flip side it can feed into those attacks for some people as every persons body is different. For me it was my body having withdraws from the THC and having to produce it's own natural things again rather than relying on the artificial intake. Another thing that was adding to it is that I didn't smoke the "street grade" stuff. I have a legal card that allowed me to purchase quality grade marijuana with a much higher potency, the kind of stuff where the odor of itself can stink up a whole house without even smoking it. Plus add on that I was an all day everyday marijuana smoker of this kind of high grade stuff wasn't doing me any favors either.

Contrary to what one post mentions, yes there are physical withdraws from quitting it (kinda ironic that the person who tried to give advice there is an alcoholic and can't make one coherent post). Not anything like nicotine but the human body will have it's protests from having to produce it's own melatonin again along with having to produce other natural things again without having this stuff in it's system anymore. My biggest concern was having these attacks when driving which can be pretty scary.

As of today, the attacks are almost gone but still having tiny attacks that may last up to 1 minute and are getting further apart from each other. I was able to go out and get some grocery shopping done without any issues.
--

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
There are, of course, some medications which help with panic attacks. I can though understand your reluctance to become addicted to another substance.

Just remember that a panic attack will pass and no matter where one happens, you will be ok. That will decrease your fear of them and cause less attacks. Also, CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) can be very useful. Just knowing that a panic attack will pass is a type of CBT. Look into it. It may help a lot.

blackrash

join:2013-01-09
reply to Cthen
I think it will some time, may be around 1 month or something.Things fades away slowly but effectively. so no worries buddy. Just keep on fighting