DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

Rogers Buying WIND Mobile?

Could be.
quote:
Orascom is reportedly “anxious” to cut its losses in Canada (they said to have ‘regretted’ entering the Canadian wireless market) and looks to sell WIND Mobile to either Bell, TELUS or Rogers, with the latter cited as the most frequently mentioned buyer:
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon

And if this happens there goes the small price changes and some competition we have been having..

The canadian market is horrible.

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde to DKS

to DKS
So there was another thread in Canadian Broadband calling for Orascom getting majority in Wind. Is that to be able to get rid of it?

Damn, how do these companies get away with this?!

Who's fault is it that we have such sh*tty service/prices for all things tech in Canada? The government? The consumers?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

As I said in that other thread, Orascom may sell, but it won't be to any of the Big 3. The regulatory environment as it exists right now simply wouldn't allow for that to happen (e.g. Bell and Astral)

If they do sell, it most likely will not be to another Canadian company. The world's a big place, and there are plenty of companies that do wireless far better than any of the Big 3 in Canada could ever hope to do. One of those companies want to take a crack at the highly profitable Canadian market.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

1 edit

koira to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
There was a note in today's star which mentioned wind becoming fully foreign owned, vimpelcom is purchasing »www.thestar.com/business ··· gn-owned.

Edit, orascom is a division of vimpelcom currently holding 65 %, wind would become entirely owned by orascom/vimpelcom

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
The Rogers rumour may have come from the fact that it would fit so perfectly with the historical Rogers strategy, which for many decades now has been what I call the "Toronto Maple Leafs Strategy to Winning" -- instead of earning market share through growth and recognized service qualities, just buy it. Unlike the Leafs, Rogers doesn't have unlimited money, so they've historically gone deeply into debt to execute the strategy of "buy" rather than "build". The regulatory environment may indeed make this particular takeover difficult, though.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to LastDon

Premium Member

to LastDon
said by LastDon:

no, the Canadian market is geographically huge, and population wise, tiny...two very bad things for a wireless company.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

The regulatory environment may indeed make this particular takeover difficult, though.

If it is another Canadian company that buys them, the only one that could realistically get away with it is Videotron.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
if Wind is bleeding cash, who would buy it??...i could see an existing telco simply absorb the customer base and assets, but a new entrant??...i was always curious about the several new entrants and am surprised they have lasted as long as they have...i don't understand why anyone would line up to lose more money with Wind.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Funny I thought Public Mobile would have died first, anyways the end result will be the same old three headed, singular horse race of imaginary competition.

(Bell, Solo) + Virgin
(Telus+Clearnet), Kodo
(Rogers+Fido)+Shaw Wireless*

*Shaw never built a network

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

(Rogers+Fido)+Shaw Wireless*

*Shaw never built a network

... I'm not even sure if this will be approved, either.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

there is still mobilicity if wind goes.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

no, the Canadian market is geographically huge, and population wise, tiny...two very bad things for a wireless company.

Oh please, it's not like they're providing cell phone service over the entire landmass of Canada. They just use it as an excuse to justify high rates.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to DKS

to DKS
Well just as analysts predicted before the new entrants started, one of them was eventually going to be absorbed. I'm surprised it was Wind though, I always thought it would be Mobilicity. If Wind really is struggling, I can't see what kind of company would be willing to buy it. Although it isn't necessarily good for customers, Rogers would be a good fit as they have a long history of acquiring other telecommunication companies and integrating them into their own brand.

I'm also not surprised Public isn't the target for acquisition, their spectrum is not as useful, and they developed their own little niche market but taking the customers the big 3 DON'T WANT, and I suspect they're doing quite well with that strategy.
Seb8517 (banned)
join:2010-07-12

Seb8517 (banned) to DKS

to DKS
(Rogers+Fido+Chatr) Shaw Mobil

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
They can't go near the new entrants for 5yrs, that takes us to 2014.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

As I said in that other thread, Orascom may sell, but it won't be to any of the Big 3. The regulatory environment as it exists right now simply wouldn't allow for that to happen (e.g. Bell and Astral)

Since WIND makes up less than 5% of the market, I doubt the Government will reject the deal. They typically only scrutinize such transactions with a large market share or the size of the company.
GeoStar
join:2011-02-10
j2e6f5

GeoStar to DKS

to DKS
not to worry the big three 1% ers will find a back door way to crush the competition and justify rasing rates again,because of the added expense

after all the banks are now saying that because there are so many big banks in canada the costs to consumers is higher
(more lawyer fees I guess? )

its not the service, pricebreaks, features you offer the consumer , but how much your lawyers can ........ the competition,. right ?

canada , we like to pay more for less right ?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

Government will reject the deal. They typically only scrutinize such transactions with a large market share or the size of the company.

It would have more to do with the whole new entrant thing and competition failing rather than market consolidation. The government and CRTC won't want egg on their face after all the foreign ownership changes they got through.

The only Canadian company that could logically get away with it would be Videotron as they're a new entrant as well, but it would mean the exact same thing to consumers as if Rogers bought them. Then we'll have the Big 4 rather than the Big 3.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

So either way it doesn't matter. Globalive doesn't want them so it's not like they're going to try to compete further.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Globalive has been an irrelevant part of the equation for a while now.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by LastDon:

And of course this doesn't mean anything, as no Canadian provider covers the whole country.

»www.rogers.com/business/ ··· overage/

They cover probably 90% of the population with what they have... isn't 80% of the population that lives within 100 miles of the US border?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

The only place Rogers doesn't have a realistic HSPA network is Sask.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

And of course this doesn't mean anything, as no Canadian provider covers the whole country.

»www.rogers.com/business/ ··· overage/

They cover probably 90% of the population with what they have... isn't 80% of the population that lives within 100 miles of the US border?

i didn't mean every square mile of territory...but to cover 90% of the population is still a lot of land area, for a measly 25 million people...in the US, you can blanket California, New York (state) or Texas with very decent coverage, for a fraction of the price, and have roughly the same or more customers...38 million people in California, 26 million in Texas and 19.5 million in New York state.
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

The only place Rogers doesn't have a realistic HSPA network is Sask.

that is because Saskatchewan uses a Crown Corp for their services, so they simply roam on SaskTel mobility's network.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I'm pretty sure Sasktel is the same as Bell and Telus and runs an IS-96 network, not a GSM network. The GSM coverage in Sask is Rogers' alone. I suspect the lack of Rogers HSPA may be due to bandwidth availability and spectrum ownership within the province.

Whether or not Rogers roams on Sasktel's own HSPA network is something that I do not know. I suspect they don't considering the coverage in the province.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

Sasktel has UMTS/HSDPA+ with 4G being deployed as we speak (official launch is coming soon).

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Right. They don't run a GSM network, which is the only coverage that Rogers has in Sask outside of Saskatoon and Regina.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
If Wind is sold to an incumbent then it's a failure of government Telecom policy. The Not Ready For Prime Time Players (Harper, Clement, Moore, & Von Mumblehertz) should do "what's good for the country". Since von Mumblehertz has moved on, it falls on the shoulders of the other three to do the honourable thing......not that a Conservative politician knows what that is.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to DKS

to DKS
What a bummer.... I moved to WIND because I was tired of getting ripped off by Rogers and before them by Bell.

What happened to that egyptian billionaire's swearing that he would screw up Rogers and Bell and take their customers even if he "only made 25 cents per customer"?