spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

earthquake

join:2010-02-17

[speed/latency] Terrible speeds this past week. What gives?

I live in Orange Virginia and this past week my speeds have been the worst I've seen so far. We have the 3mb/768k package and now youtube and hulu videos will barely load for five seconds before freezing to load again. The last time I had a tech out was over a year ago and he told me that we were actually too far out to get that speed package and he didn't know why Verizon offered it to us in the first place.

Anyway, he did a few things to "clean" up our line and my connection has been great since and always at the full advertised 3mb/768k speeds. I should also point out that my sister who lives about 10 minutes away has the same deal through Verizon and her speeds have also been terrible this past week. Any idea what could be going on?

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_ANSI_T1.413
Data Path FAST

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 864
Margin (dB) 9.6 6.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 52.0 25.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 19.4 9.6

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
if your sync isn't dropping out, then it's probably a congestion issue somewhere (verizon trying to shove too many people on one switch/router).

as for your line, you might want to try to get the upstream noise margin up a bit, as it's rather low.

earthquake

Is there anything I can do about being on such a congested switch/router? Also, how do I raise the upstream noise margin?

Demonfang

Spring Mills, PA
as far as congestion, tim_k should be able to fix it.

raising noise margin is just a matter of checking all the phone wiring in your house, and making sure all of the wiring connections are secure, filters properly installed, etc...

earthquake

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I get in contact with tim_k?

Demonfang

Spring Mills, PA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
whoops, forgot to make that a user link. here you go: tim_k See Profile (click on the little ?). just pm him your dsl number, and tell him it's a congestion issue

Cabarett

join:2007-01-14
Branchdale, PA

1 edit
I think I'm having the same problem with my new DSL, my small town got DSL 2 months ago and it was fine now 2 months later with them adding all the neighbors on,YouTube videos and Hulu are Terrible!!!

Can I contact this person Tim about my congestion issue? I live in PA.

I just sent Tim a message, maybe he can help

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:40
said by Cabarett:

I think I'm having the same problem with my new DSL, my small town got DSL 2 months ago and it was fine now 2 months later with them adding all the neighbors on,YouTube videos and Hulu are Terrible!!!

Can I contact this person Tim about my congestion issue? I live in PA.

I just sent Tim a message, maybe he can help

Unfortunately, 46 people on an RT with eight T1 lines doesn't do well when a couple people start streaming or downloading.
--
RIP my babies Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07, Beamer 7/24/08, & Bows 12/17/94-10/11/09

Cabarett

join:2007-01-14
Branchdale, PA

1 recommendation

Tim tried to help me but unfortunately DSL stinks in my small town.

Thanks Tim you did your best

Thorney

join:2005-05-21
Colonial Beach, VA
reply to earthquake
said by earthquake:

I live in Orange Virginia and this past week my speeds have been the worst I've seen so far...

I live 70 miles from you (and why I'm prompted to reply). Woke up this morning to see the down rate lowered from 3360 to 2944. I guess this is the latest tactic attempting to restore the quality of our service.

Up time and throughput have been steadily worsening since October when we experienced our first 48 hour service outage ever. About a week or so ago a change was implemented on the other side for the very first time. When the connection drops now the router soft reboots itself. So now we watch the router reboot constantly every evening. It's nice I no longer have to touch anything. The non-technically inclined in the house can just sit there and wait for Netflix to resume without calling me. But it does not change the fact you can't stream or download anything error free without a persistent connection.

I went around the block with my tablet to watch it sniff for Wifi. Unless everyone has recently replaced their Westell modems, we are one of the last three remaining Verizon customers on the street.

I feel a lot of empathy and solidarity with Verizon customer service, their supervisors and the technical people in the data center, one gave me his personal phone number. He called me on Christmas Eve to make sure we would have internet for Christmas morning presents that needed a connection. Give that guy a raise. I've been on the phone with them, mostly support centers in India, a total of eight hours since October.

Prior to October, Verizon gave us rock solid service for eight years, since 2005, since the join date you see by my post.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to earthquake
Sounds suspiciously like VZ's infamous "Roving Slowdowns" that seem to cycle through the country on a recurring basis. Folks in an area see their speeds drop to dialup during the same hours for several days (some all day), lots of calls to VZ, some fall prey to the scriptmonkeys making them stand on their heads and rub their tummies, and then speeds are back to normal after a few more days just as if nothing ever happened. We've never received any official acknowledgement of the problem, and no one seems to even know what actually is happening. That it is cyclical (though not predictable) strongly suggests some internal work is taking place that farkles people but either VZ is somehow completely ignorant of what's happening, or are just being boneheads and refusing to be honest about what's going on.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

rwstout

join:2011-12-31

1 recommendation

reply to earthquake
I live in southwest PA and have been having major issues with speeds and pings for a few weeks. So bad I can't watch movies or play Xbox. Usually doesn't start working well until I have restarted my modem about 100 times and until around 1am.... The techs you call and talk to are idiots, they try and tell you everything is fine and that you are receiving good speeds. That's great but speed isn't everything. When I got from 40ms ping to a server that's 50 miles from me to 450ms to the same server there is an issue... I have tried Tim_K and making a thread in direct supper but have yet to hear anything... 2 weeks or so ago everything was fine then bam I get back after being gone for a weekend and everything is all messed up.

Thanks for any help.

Capnblinski

join:2006-06-30
Johnstown, PA
Ditto that from this part of southwest PA. I live in an area that has fairly new copper and everything was great until about a year ago when the slowdowns started in the evenings. Not so bad as some other areas perhaps but still, QOS rates as only passable 3mb quality.