spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DrugTito
join:2013-01-17
canada

DrugTito to sbrook

to sbrook

Re: First 2 weeks with Start....so far not impressed.

This is not only him experiencing this problem, its me too, from time to time.

I will make some screenshots and post them here maybe tonight if i start having the same issue, maybe OP should do that too.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to DrugTito

to DrugTito
said by DrugTito:

Just did a speed test, to be honest with you, never seen this high download and this low ping on my connection.

usually its like 65mbps down and 25-35ms ping.

Maybe rocca opened another pipe for us :P

lots a linux isoz eh?

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

LoL, yea, for sure i got the biggest collection of Linux ISOs on the planet.

As soon as Start increases my upload to at least 500mbps, i am going to be a mirror

astyanax
@amanah.com

astyanax to Greenalderbe

Anon

to Greenalderbe
I have the same issue, with youtube.

rest of my internet is flawless, but youtube suffers horribly.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

Not sure if all those problems have to do anything with he.net routing?

I know that start did upgrade the link with them, but, it doesn't mean that connection to every provider out there is perfect?

Hopefully with new nlayer link things will improve.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

What is the MTU set to in the router?
Greenalderbe
join:2012-11-09

Greenalderbe

mtu is at 1500.

Last three days of testing;
With or without router..no change. (My modem is the DCM476)
Past 3 evenings (10:30 ish)Netflix and FTP (single thread) pulled between 2 - 5 mb/s.
Past 3 mornings (7:30ish) I can sustain 30mb/s+ with both.

Due to the consistency (nothing changing on my end), it must be a network issue. Does Rogers limit Start and the Indies somehow? Odd that this crippling congestion only appeared after I switched from Rogers

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

What is the MTU set to in the router?

1500 on my Tomato firmware.
DrugTito

DrugTito to Greenalderbe

to Greenalderbe
said by Greenalderbe:

mtu is at 1500.

Last three days of testing;
With or without router..no change. (My modem is the DCM476)
Past 3 evenings (10:30 ish)Netflix and FTP (single thread) pulled between 2 - 5 mb/s.
Past 3 mornings (7:30ish) I can sustain 30mb/s+ with both.

Due to the consistency (nothing changing on my end), it must be a network issue. Does Rogers limit Start and the Indies somehow? Odd that this crippling congestion only appeared after I switched from Rogers

I don't think that Rogers is doing any limitations for Start or any other ISP out there.

For some reason i still believe that this has to do something with he.net routing.

Some time ago, there was a problem with HE.net Chichago, and lots of sites out there was not reachable, or they were very slow.

How i see it (but, i might be wrong), correct me please if i am ..

Start can use 10gbps from HE.net for their needs, so, it goes like this?:

User -> Start -> HE.net -> He.net (Their other links) -> to other provides out there, depends on the route.

I wonder if "Their other links" are overloaded somewhere or there is congestion, or i don't know what else could be.

Thats why i am waiting to see how things will be (and if they are going to improve) once NLayer is online.

Since i have start and that is couple of months now, every traceroute i did, everything went through he.net.

My thinking could be wrong, but, as said, please correct me if i am.

Thanks!

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to Greenalderbe

Premium Member

to Greenalderbe
I agree with you about the diagnosis, but..

Make sure to try factory resetting as well (little button on the back, use a paperclip or something to get at it). You aren't supposed to run into congested channels with an 8 channel modem, but it is worth a try. Might improve some other settings as well.

Definitely do it in the evening when the problems are occurring so that you can have a clear idea if it helped or not. It can take half an hour to come back online, so be ready for a bit of interruption.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

I am having mentioned issues for last 2 days.

I am just downloading some drivers from logitech + i tested some .iso files from nexicom, softlayer, etc. mirrors and i am unable to get more then 200-400 kB\sec.

blah, sucks.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

said by DrugTito:

I am having mentioned issues for last 2 days.

I am just downloading some drivers from logitech + i tested some .iso files from nexicom, softlayer, etc. mirrors and i am unable to get more then 200-400 kB\sec.

blah, sucks.

rocca mentioned here that the interconnection will be upgraded tomorrow afternoon. Maybe that will help:
»Re: SOLVED >>>>>>>Speed Cut in Half ?

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

I missed that one.

Thank you silvercat!!!

Hopefully it will improve this !!

hagbard72
join:2000-10-02
Kingsville

hagbard72 to Greenalderbe

to Greenalderbe
I'm on the legacy Advanced package, the first issue I had was streaming videos buffering and coming in a lower resolution than it did when I was with Cogeco yet my speeds are better as is the latency to the ISP. Baffled as to why? You'd think congestion would show up as an issue when testing speed and latency.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Do you have the same problem direct to modem? Perhaps the router can't handle the higher speeds?