Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to LastDon

Re: Rogers Buying WIND Mobile?

said by LastDon:

The canadian market is horrible.

no, the Canadian market is geographically huge, and population wise, tiny...two very bad things for a wireless company.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by dirtyjeffer:

no, the Canadian market is geographically huge, and population wise, tiny...two very bad things for a wireless company.

Oh please, it's not like they're providing cell phone service over the entire landmass of Canada. They just use it as an excuse to justify high rates.
--
Tom

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by LastDon:

The canadian market is horrible.

And of course this doesn't mean anything, as no Canadian provider covers the whole country.

»www.rogers.com/business/nb/en/sm···overage/

They cover probably 90% of the population with what they have... isn't 80% of the population that lives within 100 miles of the US border?
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
The only place Rogers doesn't have a realistic HSPA network is Sask.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

And of course this doesn't mean anything, as no Canadian provider covers the whole country.

They cover probably 90% of the population with what they have... isn't 80% of the population that lives within 100 miles of the US border?

i didn't mean every square mile of territory...but to cover 90% of the population is still a lot of land area, for a measly 25 million people...in the US, you can blanket California, New York (state) or Texas with very decent coverage, for a fraction of the price, and have roughly the same or more customers...38 million people in California, 26 million in Texas and 19.5 million in New York state.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

The only place Rogers doesn't have a realistic HSPA network is Sask.

that is because Saskatchewan uses a Crown Corp for their services, so they simply roam on SaskTel mobility's network.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
I'm pretty sure Sasktel is the same as Bell and Telus and runs an IS-96 network, not a GSM network. The GSM coverage in Sask is Rogers' alone. I suspect the lack of Rogers HSPA may be due to bandwidth availability and spectrum ownership within the province.

Whether or not Rogers roams on Sasktel's own HSPA network is something that I do not know. I suspect they don't considering the coverage in the province.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
Sasktel has UMTS/HSDPA+ with 4G being deployed as we speak (official launch is coming soon).

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Right. They don't run a GSM network, which is the only coverage that Rogers has in Sask outside of Saskatoon and Regina.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

Oh please, it's not like they're providing cell phone service over the entire landmass of Canada. They just use it as an excuse to justify high rates.

Problem is, consumers want their phone to work everywhere... A user may live in a glass tower in the 'T.dot' - but they're driving to visit their buddy in Winnipeg; and expect, even demand, that their cell coverage works the whole way around the north shore of Superior...

Population density and geography are two of the biggest issues for any carrier; incumbent or new entrant.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by LazMan:

Problem is, consumers want their phone to work everywhere... A user may live in a glass tower in the 'T.dot' - but they're driving to visit their buddy in Winnipeg; and expect, even demand, that their cell coverage works the whole way around the north shore of Superior...

Of course, not a single cell provider in Canada can actually give you that...

LazMan
Premium
canada
said by bt:

Of course, not a single cell provider in Canada can actually give you that...

Rogers covers most of the way, actually... They have the best coverage of any cell provider in Northern Ontario..

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by HiVolt:

i didn't mean every square mile of territory...but to cover 90% of the population is still a lot of land area, for a measly 25 million people...in the US, you can blanket California, New York (state) or Texas with very decent coverage, for a fraction of the price, and have roughly the same or more customers...38 million people in California, 26 million in Texas and 19.5 million in New York state.

Look at all the empty territory in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta that IS covered. There are very few people actually living outside of Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg. Yet the network coverage in those provinces alone is extremely extensive with a lot of build cost and a long term ROI. That coverage is there because big corporate energy customers demand it, but seriously, some of the towers in the boonies may go DAYS before they're actually connected to a device.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by shaner:

Look at all the empty territory in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta that IS covered. There are very few people actually living outside of Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg. Yet the network coverage in those provinces alone is extremely extensive with a lot of build cost and a long term ROI. That coverage is there because big corporate energy customers demand it, but seriously, some of the towers in the boonies may go DAYS before they're actually connected to a device.

exactly my point...i mean, look how long it took for a tower to get installed in Grand Bend?...the reason it took so long was due to the seasonal demand for service there, and why for the first few years it was a mobile tower (COW), not permanent.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Population density and geography are two of the biggest issues for any carrier; incumbent or new entrant.

That's one of the worst examples you can provide. Rogers doesn't work on the north shore of Superior. That in fact, is proof that they don't even cover areas where people are to the fullest extent.
--
Tom

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to shaner
said by shaner:

One of the advantages of the prairies is that they don't actually need a lot of towers to cover the whole map.

That said, I had major problems with reception on the Trans Canada through Manitoba and Saskatchewan with Rogers.
--
Tom

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

That's one of the worst examples you can provide. Rogers doesn't work on the north shore of Superior. That in fact, is proof that they don't even cover areas where people are to the fullest extent.

Rogers coverage is the best of the big 3 going over Superior; The new entrants didnt work in Barrie until late last year, let alone past Sudbury...