Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

How to block cloudfront.net with hosts file?

If I add 127.0.0.1 cloudfront.net it still gets though because they use D30opm7hsgivgh.cloudfront.net.

I could add 127.0.0.1 D30opm7hsgivgh.cloudfront.net but there are many prefix's being used and they are probably random names.

Is it not possible to block?

jay608
Going Nucking Futs

join:2007-01-22
Chicago, IL
what about 127.0.0.1 *.cloudfront.net? Not sure if that will work or not but worth a shot.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by jay608:

what about 127.0.0.1 *.cloudfront.net? Not sure if that will work or not but worth a shot.

The 'hosts' file requires discrete host names; one per host to be blocked. Wild cards don't work.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to Cartel
If you use want to try firefox you can block it with noscript. Perhaps there is a similar alternative for IE.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to jay608
said by jay608:

I wish that would work, but it wont

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
Yes, indeed. It would reduce the size of hosts file dramatically.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
reply to Cartel
Perhaps we don't need to block cloudfront.net?

»answers.yahoo.com/question/index···4AAfcUWa

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Cartel
Yeah, but the purpose of a hosts file is to provide name-to-address lookup, and saying "all hosts in a domain have the same address" is not useful for that purpose.

If you're using a hammer to install screws, there's no use wishing it would do a better job.

OZO
Premium
said by dave:

the purpose of a hosts file is to provide name-to-address lookup, and saying "all hosts in a domain have the same address" is not useful for that purpose.

Really? And why it's not?

Here is a common example. From your ISP you have 1 static IP and want to organize your environment by using different host names, like say, www.domain.tld, ftp.domain.tld, sip.domain.tld, etc. You go to your DNS configuration console and assign all of your hosts the same IP (or course). I think that's a good example, why you may start thinking of using records like *.domain.tld in your hosts file
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by OZO:

Here is a common example. From your ISP you have 1 static IP and want to organize your environment by using different host names, like say, www.domain.tld, ftp.domain.tld, sip.domain.tld, etc. You go to your DNS configuration console and assign all of your hosts the same IP (or course).

Assigning host names via DNS is not the same thing as aliasing host names to IP addresses.
--
Norman

OZO
Premium
You've missed the first part of my post.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by OZO:

You've missed the first part of my post.

I wonder. Using my DNS provider to assign multiple host names to a single IP address has nothing to do with the hosts file; and, in any case, they haven't given me wild card naming capability.
--
Norman

Premium
join:2003-09-29
New York, NY
reply to Cartel
I just use my customized version of JunkBuster. Using a hosts file isn't necessary, in fact it's daft. Put cloudfront.net in the blocker file, and it's done. I had to customize it to make it faster and to allow for longer URLs, you should see the things these weenies try to get away with.

Plus it's instant, once a chance is made to the blocker files it's done, no point and click, no restarting the program, it's just done.