share rss forum feed

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to DKS

Re: Rogers Buying WIND Mobile?

if Wind is bleeding cash, who would buy it??...i could see an existing telco simply absorb the customer base and assets, but a new entrant??...i was always curious about the several new entrants and am surprised they have lasted as long as they have...i don't understand why anyone would line up to lose more money with Wind.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
said by dirtyjeffer:

if Wind is bleeding cash, who would buy it??...i could see an existing telco simply absorb the customer base and assets, but a new entrant??...

I could see Videotron buying it. Instant national presence.

If Shaw was still interested in Wireless, they might make a play for Wind as well.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
said by shaner:

said by dirtyjeffer:

if Wind is bleeding cash, who would buy it??...i could see an existing telco simply absorb the customer base and assets, but a new entrant??...

If Shaw was still interested in Wireless, they might make a play for Wind as well.

I can't see Quebecor having an interest in the rest of Canada, and Shaw wouldn't be selling their spectrum in the west if they were still interested in wireless.

Frankly, it would have to be someone from outside the country, and i'm not sure any of the international majors want to learn the hard way that you can't play against the Big 3 who have been pampered by our regulatory environment for so long.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to shaner
Videotron wouldn't buy it. They are only interested in offering a premium price and bundles. They do not want to compete, they just want to tie up people in as many services as they can by offering $5 discounts for bundling, and they can't do that elsewhere in Canada with just cellphones.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to corster
said by corster:

Frankly, it would have to be someone from outside the country, and i'm not sure any of the international majors want to learn the hard way that you can't play against the Big 3 who have been pampered by our regulatory environment for so long.

I'd welcome SingTel or one of the big Hong Kong players in a minute, but they have more subscribers than any incumbent in Canada in an area not that much bigger than the GTA, so they aren't likely going to come to Canada's windswept barrens.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to shaner
said by shaner:

said by dirtyjeffer:

I don't, PKP has never shown any interest in expanding beyond Quebec. They had two opportunities to buy national broadcasters, but didn't. They could have bought spectrum across the country in the last auction, but concentrated on Quebec.

The only things outside of PQ is the Sun Newspaper chain, and the Osprey chain they recently bought.

They're stuck with faux news north, since nobody else (national chain) can buy it.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......