RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House

power steering fluid leaked out

so over the course of maybe a month or more, I would hear a quick whinny noise for like half a second when cranking the car up for the first time of the day. I never thought this was a problem coming up as I mentioned it before.

Sunday when I cranked up, the whinny noise didnt go away, was way worse when i turn the wheel. as i backed out of the garage it was pretty obvious. at that time the resevoir had fluid in it, it was bubbling. I went to autozone and bought fluid and stop leak. the sound went away. i put a cardboard box piece on the floor to "catch" it so to speak to see if it leaked again without staining my floor again. I just checked and it leaked again, and this time the resevoir looks empty. the floor is stained because its leaking out almost on the driver side.

I've checked oil, tranny, brake fluids and all of those are full. What exactly has failed? Or at least what do you suspect has failed?

02 pt cruiser
--
| map your city |

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Deb, sounds like the PS hose is leaking, or the rack and pinion has a leak. Does the PS reservoir have any drips or wetness near it? On the hose from it? It'll be wet, and fresh.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
uhhh it doesnt look like it. Nothing up top looks wet.

do you know where the pump is located? will it be near the reservoir? the leak is dripping out more on the drivers side of the car which is confusing me a little. i'm googling but not finding anything to tell me exactly where the pump is.

brb, camera time.
--
| map your city |

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to pcdebb
ok, nothing to really picture. this car sits pretty low so it definitely needs to be jacked to see the exact spot of the leak. it's still dripping, but where the drip is doesnt really seem like that's the origin. looks like it's running down from somewhere else. everyting up top is dry. I followed hoses as far down as I could and nothing is wet. whatever the issue is must be underneath.

it's gonna be a very long day so i better try to get a few hours of sleep.
--
| map your city |

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to pcdebb
The pump is driven by the belt.

Hate to say it Deb, but it may be a rack and pinion leak, but hopefully, just a hose.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by Juggernaut:

The pump is driven by the belt.

Hate to say it Deb, but it may be a rack and pinion leak, but hopefully, just a hose.

errr is rack and pinion leak bad and/or expensive?
--
| map your city |

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
It is. Both. Ugh.

Let's wait til others chime in though, before you hit the Ativan, ok?

bitemeboy

join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY
reply to pcdebb

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
reply to pcdebb
i can still get a repair done that's under recall from that long ago?
--
| map your city |

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

In the case of an actual recall, they never expire and are required to be performed by a dealer even if the car is not in for that specified reason.

You will need to have the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) checked by a dealer to see if your car was included in the recall, and if it has ever been performed.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
i entered my vin on the CDJ website and it says it's included, but it doesnt say if any related work was performed.
--
| map your city |

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
That's very good news! You may want to check on those other recalls at the same time.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Will I be okay if I put fluid in to make my destination? Will it flow out faster while driving?
--
| map your city |

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
Depends how bad it is of course, but I'd keep tabs on it along the way. One thing I would avoid is, turning the wheel to full lock. That creates a pressure spike and could drain the fluid faster, or burst the high pressure hose.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
ok. i just needed to know if i can get it somewhere to where we can get it jacked up to inspect. i was able to get it out of the garage, thankfully i didnt have to make any turns because that wheel is stiff as a board!! he turned the wheel to the right to look and there is wetness around the boot area. the dodge dealership was kinda busy so i'm waiting for someone to call me back about the recall issue
--
| map your city |

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
High pressure lines usually spray all over the place, and make a helluva mess. Have that rotor checked to make sure it didn't get sprayed as well. It may well be safer for you to get the vehicle towed to the dealer.
--

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to pcdebb
Call the manufacturer's 800 number with the VIN handy. The only issue is the recall will not cover any damage caused by the stop leak product.
--
PRescott7-2097

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to pcdebb
on my way to pick up my car. it was some kind of pressure fitting and/or hose that worked it's way loose or something. i still took it up the a$$ tho, killed me in labor!!!
--
| map your city |

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL

1 edit
reply to pcdebb
Now my cigarette lighter sockets don't work wtf

N/m problem solved

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

You need to quit smoking

--
January is National Oatmeal Month

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by Coma:

You need to quit smoking

i quit 5 years ago. I have many devices that need juice
--
| map your city |

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
said by pcdebb:

said by Coma:

You need to quit smoking

i quit 5 years ago. I have many devices that need juice

That's why now they are referred to as power outlets.

OLDYELLR

join:2003-04-05
Woodstock, ON
reply to pcdebb
What car, what year. It could be a leaking hose or seal or pinhole rusted steel line on the steering rack. If you have to top up the fluid frequently, you can use Lucas power steering stop-leak, which might fix it, or just slow it down, and cost the same in the long run.

I've driven a car with no PS fluid for a couple of months, just adding a splash now and then to keep the pump lubricated with no ill effects. The steering will be harder, so it may not be fun. If the car is 10-20 years old, it will probably need a rebuilt steering rack if it's not just a hose.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to pcdebb
Check the fuse for the lighter. Maybe they plugged something in that overloaded it?

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
kudos:3
reply to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

i still took it up the a$$ tho, killed me in labor!!!

WOW, You Floridians sure have a funny way of paying bills.
--
mbsastronomy.com