Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

3 edits

[Equipment] Gigaset C610A IP Compatibility Matrix

Click for full size
Compatability Matrix
When I look at the Compatibility Matrix for the C610A IP and the C610H I can easily see the host of features offered and supported.

So my question is in regards to the Gigaset C610H and the Select Services feature many here have opined about -- the question is:

From the list of features listed in the Compatibility Matrix linked above which supported features are related to the Select Services option?

[EDIT] Apparently the list displayed in the graphic above is minimalistic and not well maintained.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

The following has the answer to my question:
»Re: [Equipment] What's up with crippled Gigaset C610H (US/CAN)

borntochill

join:2003-02-09
united state
said by mozerd:

As the starter of that epic thread, I just wanted to make sure that you read through it enough to know that Gigaset listened to its customers and resolved the issue with the Select Services menu on the C610H handset.

DoctorStinky

join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by borntochill:

said by mozerd:

As the starter of that epic thread, I just wanted to make sure that you read through it enough to know that Gigaset listened to its customers and resolved the issue with the Select Services menu on the C610H handset.

And then unresolved it again, apparently. My just-purchased C610H will not accept the number string provided by gigaset_man and the Select Services menu remains unavailable.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to borntochill
said by borntochill:

I am not optimistic that Gigaset will resolve the current dilemma based on a email exchange I had with Gigaset. Perhaps that will change --- we will see.

And Yes, your thread was certainly epic.

This experience makes me wonder why I did not go with the snom m9r product ---- grrrrr --- oh yes, I now remember, it had something to do with a Value Proposition. IMO Gigaset VoIP phone systems are not a product offering I would recommend to my clients.

The expensive lessoned learned -- when buying VoIP phone systems make sure that all handsets are fully capable versus compatible and that each device features and capabilities are truly client/server --- where the server [base station] determines what the client [handset] provides in VoIP functionality. GRRRRRRRR
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by mozerd:

IMO Gigaset VoIP phone systems are not a product offering I would recommend to my clients.

The expensive lesson learned -- when buying VoIP phone systems make sure that all handsets are fully capable versus compatible....

Gigaset seems to take pleasure in making things TOO complicated and in always changing things, always mucking around.

There has to be some consistency and some stability in your product lines.

They seem to have literally dozens of different models, and new ones all the time. That's not necessarily a plus. Your experience is an example of that.

There is a point at which freedom crosses into anarchy.

said by mozerd:

The expensive lesson learned -- when buying VoIP phone systems make sure that all handsets are fully capable versus compatible and that each device features and capabilities are truly client/server --- where the server [base station] determines what the client [handset] provides in VoIP functionality. GRRRRRRRR

This issue is reminiscent of the [Tootsi Frootsi Ice Cream] scene from The Marx Brothers "A Day At The Races".

wcweaver
Premium
join:2002-02-22
Fort Myers, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mozerd
said by mozerd:

The expensive lesson learned -- when buying VoIP phone systems make sure that all handsets are fully capable versus compatible and that each device features and capabilities are truly client/server --- where the server [base station] determines what the client [handset] provides in VoIP functionality. GRRRRRRRR

I don't think the base unit controls all the capabilities or functions of the handsets. As I posted in the thread »[Equipment] Gigaset C610H Select Services . . . Again , there appears to be a firmware change in the current handsets being changed, for what reason I don't know. The extra handsets when Gigasetman posted the code string, including mine, had what appears to be firmware R301-3 and the handsets shipping now that will not accept the code are R301-7.

Perhaps if Gigasetman (who has been absent for a while) reappears he will have a new code for the R301-7 models.

I still think the C-610H is a great phone for the money (about half of the SNOM unit) and have ordered an additional handset.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
said by wcweaver:

I still think the C-610H is a great phone for the money (about half of the SNOM unit) and have ordered an additional handset.

I like the phone ... Works very nicely ... I do not like the loss of functionality that should be there. I was planning on adding 5 handsets but will not do that now unless gigaset by some gigaset magic restores the functionality. And yes the snom is truly outrageously expensive but the snom does upport IPv6
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

borntochill

united state
reply to mozerd
I have sent you a PM.

DoctorStinky

Brunswick, ME
I know you sent a PM to mozerd, but if you have any thoughts on adding the Select Services option to my C610H, I'm very interested.

borntochill

united state

2 edits
said by DoctorStinky:

I know you sent a PM to mozerd, but if you have any thoughts on adding the Select Services option to my C610H, I'm very interested.

Hi. No thoughts. However, I've given mozerd the contact information for gigaset_man, a conscientious and competent contact at the company (but one we should not pester). Mozerd said he would contact him. If and when there's a resolution, and I'd bet it will more likely be a matter of "when," I am sure the information will get posted to this thread. IIRC, first time around it took a few weeks.

DoctorStinky

Brunswick, ME
I wish mozerd luck. I attempted to contact gigaset_man through the email address he provided on this forum only to discover that it was no longer active.

borntochill

united state

1 recommendation

said by DoctorStinky:

I wish mozerd luck. I attempted to contact gigaset_man through the email address he provided on this forum only to discover that it was no longer active.

ruh roh!

I have another address I found. I'll PM you and mozerd. If that doesn't work, then all bets are off.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

My mail was read so i am hopefully that a positive outcome may be forthcoming .... As soon as I hear back I will post.

AC3

join:2012-03-22
Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

reply to DoctorStinky
said by DoctorStinky:

said by borntochill:

said by mozerd:

And then unresolved it again, apparently. My just-purchased C610H will not accept the number string provided by gigaset_man and the Select Services menu remains unavailable.

Ditto here, just purchased a C610A IP + C610H last week and the string didn't work.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to mozerd
Just a follow-up: No word yet after 7 days.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
said by mozerd:

Just a follow-up: No word yet after 7 days.

I've noticed the same fate with my emails. I would like to buy more of their products, but the only distributor I know of discontinued them
--
I represent AcroVoice, a full service Canadian VoIP Provider.
Buy your Obihai ATA shipped from within Canada.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
said by Trev:

I've noticed the same fate with my emails. I would like to buy more of their products, but the only distributor I know of discontinued them

Why not buy from .e4 or VoIPSupply? they are both very responsive although .e4 are far more flexible with shipping options.

Currently I'm of the opinion that people considering VoIP portable handsets should not look to Gigaset due to the way that Gigaset handles support issues -- which for a premium product leaves much to the imagination --- however on the other hand VoIP phones have not endeared themselves to John Q Public -- so sales probably cannot justify super support resources.

BTW, of interest to all --- before you actually buy additional handsets make sure to ask the supplier to confirm via email that "Select Services" will in fact appear as an option on the C610H handset purchased otherwise you'll end up in the same uncertain boat. This will force them to check and confirm as well as to accept liability [cost of shipping the product back + the cost of shipping the product to you -- which does add up to a nice sum].

Another interesting factoid -- the people at .e4 believe that the base station actually determines which options appear on the handsets in use --- and I "intellectually" agree but so far no Gigaset magic has been forthcoming.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call