uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[WIN8] Password protect zipped file?

Is it true that you cannot password protect a zipped file in Windows 7 or 8 (unless you use a third party program that supports this and the other party you send it to has to have the same program)?

I need to zip and password protect a Win 8 file and send it in email. I can compress it but can't see how to password protect it. So, I googled and found nothing specific to Win 8 but I found a thread in Microsoft Answers on this issue on Win 7 where Microsoft it is not possible to password protect a zipped file in Win 7 and I assume in Win 8 also. Microsoft said it is a silly thing so removed in Win 7. How then does one email a file that may contain a virus? Without password protection you can't get it past your ISP's virus checker.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
To whom would you want to email a file that contains a virus?

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to Mele20
Change the extension to .not_a_zip_at_all ?

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Gem
said by Gem:

To whom would you want to email a file that contains a virus?

When you suspect an infected file that your av software missed some vendors require that the file be password protected to upload.
McAfee does.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
reply to Mele20
Use WinRAR or WinZip. I've never even thought to try and create a password protected zip file using the built-in windows utilities.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
^^^ This.

Use a zip program. Done.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
Exactly. In regards to the built-in functionally of zip inside of Windows, I see it as a way to take files out of an archive, and not much else. If you want more functionally, either download the trial of Winzip or WinRAR, or purchase the software directly.

--Brian

CovMac
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA
reply to Mele20
Or you can get 7-Zip for free - Open source.
--
Mac

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Mele20
I have ALWAYS used builtin zip password protect function in XP. Why would Microsoft remove this function? They get a kickback from WinRAR and Winzip?

How in the world would you send a virus without password protection? Symantec would kill it on outgoing mail if I use my ISP's mail. I don't think dslr mail would kill it but the scanner for the antivirus company that I was going to send it to would kill it before they got it.

I have the free version of WinRAR that RARLabs gave away years ago on XP computer. I don't have the money right now to buy WinRAR for Windows 8 and I should not need to do so. Functionality that was in Windows up through XP should not have removed. It is just another example of how Microsoft Windows versions have deteriorated since XP. No wonder folks keep using XP!

As for 7zip, your recipient has to have 7zip also. Plus, 7zip never worked with Avira in the past when I was sending lots of viruses to them. I am not sending this to them (and 7zip finally works with Avira and many years of not). This is going to another AV vendor particular person and 7zip is not a very good answer since I read the other party has to have it also.

I don't know where any of you guys were a few years ago, but many of us in the security forum were sending viruses to each other and to vendors. I need to do that now. It is nothing unusual except that I was blessed with XP all these years and did not know until now that Microsoft, for no good reason I can see, killed essential functionality for builtin zip starting with Vista. Besides, who just password protects a virus? A lot of files you might send you may want to password protect. If Opera had not killed the best thing about Opera (Unite) I would just upload the file to there and point the person to that file. I did that a lot with Avira.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
said by Mele20:

As for 7zip, your recipient has to have 7zip also.

No they don't.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I have ALWAYS used builtin zip password protect function in XP. Why would Microsoft remove this function?

and now you better stop doing that. Because the old encryption, provided by earlier ZIP archives was very easy to crack. Just google for a tool (and there are many), that for a small price will open "encrypted" by ZIP archives. The latest versions of ZIP fixed that. Just make sure it has "256-Bit AES encryption".

Open WinZip, create a new zipped file (click on "New"). In opened dialog box, check "Encrypt added files". Highlight file you want to add to zip file and click on "Add". In new dialog box check "256-Bit AES encryption", enter password and click on OK. That's it. Watch for asterisk mark next to file name. It indicates that file is encrypted.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
Well, if her goal is simply to get it past email virus checkers, the weak encryption will suffice.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I have the free version of WinRAR that RARLabs gave away years ago on XP computer.

If your free version has password capability then all I can do is sympathize with your rant about Windows going down hill after XP.

If you need a good free zipper that can encrypt zip files then this one will do it ;
»www.izarc.org/

It is one of the most universal zippers I've ever seen. Been using it for years.
Expand your moderator at work

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to sivran

Re: [WIN8] Password protect zipped file?

said by sivran:

Well, if her goal is simply to get it past email virus checkers, the weak encryption will suffice.

Yes, I don't need strong encryption. I just need to get it past email virus checkers.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 edit
reply to SipSizzurp
said by SipSizzurp:

said by Mele20:

I have the free version of WinRAR that RARLabs gave away years ago on XP computer.

If your free version has password capability then all I can do is sympathize with your rant about Windows going down hill after XP.

If you need a good free zipper that can encrypt zip files then this one will do it ;
»www.izarc.org/

It is one of the most universal zippers I've ever seen. Been using it for years.

Yes, the WinRAR version I have on XP I think has password protection. It is a regular version of WinRAR. RAR labs gave it away in celebration of how many years they have been in existence...something like that. I read about it here. Everyone here was getting it bacl then but it won't work on Win 8. I didn't use it it for password protection though. I just used builtin XP capability that folks in the Security forum here had taught me to use way back in 2003. I think I recall 98SE having password protection on zipped files too but I am not sure. I don't recall for sure exactly when I started needing to get it past antivirus detection. I know my ISP was one of the very first to start scanning all outgoing and incoming mall for viruses and that was many years ago. So, password protecting has been routine for many years and I am stiil really surprised that Microsoft would remove that feature.

I'll look at your link. Thanks. But it just doesn't seem right to need a third party program to do what the OS (XP) is able to do. It is just another example of why users don't want an OS beyond XP. I don't see why Microsoft can't get that. Instead they give us Vista with all the UAC crap and they ruin one of their best programs Outlook Express, then Win 7 which I don't see how it was improvement on XP, and neither of these has password protection on encrypted files like XP has builtin, and then they give us the real humdinger Windows 8 that I keep finding more and more problems with. Microsoft has gone backwards since XP except in networking which has been improved in Windows past XP.
--

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Anything with mirrors for download doesn't work for me...never has all these years. Direct download from sourceforge doesn't work either ...EVER.
--

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
download7z920-x64.msi.zip 1,329,891 bytes