uniqs
share rss forum feed

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to Draiman

Re: Attic flooring

Looking good! Are you using screws to hold down the flooring?

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
Click for full size
I didn't get the first of three sections completely finished but it's coming along nicely. I put around 500 lbs of books onto a section and it didn't do anything. This section is around 7' x 12' the next is 7' x 22' and the last is 14' x 14'.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman
Click for full size
They delivered the flooring yesterday. Those are ~2'x4' pieces of 5/8" CDX plywood. That's most of it minus the 12 pieces I moved into the house to install this week-end.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to sempergoofy
said by sempergoofy:

A system to consider:
»www.infiniteattic.com/

while those seem real need at 1st glance, they could be a major source of problems. Most engineered trusses are not designed to support extra weight (except for sheet rock and insulation) on the bottom stringers. Using the system without having approval of the designers of the trusses could lead to failure of the trusses.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:6
reply to Draiman
wow, my brain hurts reading this thread..

sad to see the convo goto shit like this.. xcal, kudos on keepin it together.. and good luck with your project, 1/2" ply is the good choice.

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by robbin:

said by DKS:

You may also have moisture/condensation problems. You appear to have no soffit venting, with the insulation plugging that air space up. I would describe that attic as a mould farm just waiting to happen. Attics have air circulation for a reason. That seems to be a dead air space.

You should research conditioned or unventilated attics. It has become more popular in recent years.

In my environment, it's a non-starter. Attic air circulation and insulation are done for a reason. It actually cools the house.

I'm not going to Google it for you but you obviously have no insight into new thinking regarding conditioned, unventilated attics. It can be done in all climates although the climate will determine the proper design.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to Draiman
I just ordered the 5/8" CDX Fir/Spruce Plywood @$25.40/ea and they are ripping it into 2' x 4' pieces (quarters) and delivering it at no charge tomorrow. If anyone wants pictures when it's finished let me know via IM.

Thanks to everyone for the help. That concludes my involvement in this thread.

PS: Feel free to discuss this more as it might pertain to someone else searching Google about this same thing. I'm all set on tips, advice, etc. on my project though.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to Draiman
said by Draiman:

I just ordered the 5/8" CDX Fir/Spruce Plywood @$25.40/ea and they are ripping it into 2' x 4' pieces (quarters) and delivering it at no charge tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the help. That concludes this thread.

PS: Mods can lock it up!

Once again, this isn't the For Sale forum.
Expand your moderator at work

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC

3 edits
reply to Draiman

Re: Attic flooring

Please refrain from derailing the thread with off topic stuff. You should know better then this!

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to Draiman
This isn't the For Sale forum.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit
reply to Draiman
*removed*

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DKS
In case you didn't hear or understand the first time. Please refrain from derailing the thread with off topic stuff. You should know better then this!
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Draiman
said by Draiman:

If there haven't been any issues in over 40-50 years so far there's no reason to think they will start now. If that's not enough time to know nothing is!

If you only did the new insulation last year, the last 40 years are no measure at all.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit
reply to Draiman
Please refrain from derailing the thread with off topic stuff. You should know better then this!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Draiman
said by Draiman:

said by DKS:

What effect will the flooring have on heat transfer from below? All wood has an R value. You have water pipes up there. Right now you are heating the space from below. What impact will that new floor have on the ambient temp of the attic space if you create a dead air space (insulation with the flooring (more insulation)?

You may also have moisture/condensation problems. You appear to have no soffit venting, with the insulation plugging that air space up. I would describe that attic as a mould farm just waiting to happen. Attics have air circulation for a reason. That seems to be a dead air space.

It's dead air space with or without flooring. The other side has flooring that's been there since about 1960 with no issues. The water pipes have been there since around 1970 with no issues. I just had that rigid board installed in 2012 to do it right but over 40 years of it being wrong and it's still there working fine. That new work doubled the R value from about R15 to about R30. Not worried at all about pipes freezing, weight, dead air, or anything else crazy people can come up with only flooring and that it's already decided to be 5/8" plywood.

You miss my point entirely. The soffits are unvented. There is little air circulation. You will have issues, I believe. Mould can develop over time. Watch for black.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

reply to robbin
said by robbin:

said by DKS:

You should research conditioned or unventilated attics. It has become more popular in recent years.

In my environment, it's a non-starter. Attic air circulation and insulation are done for a reason. It actually cools the house. That being said, I have lived in old houses with rooms like that which are insulated and not vented properly, with wood floors. Hot as hell in summer and cold as a an ice cube in winter, even with air conditioning and heating.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit
reply to Draiman
*removed*

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

What effect will the flooring have on heat transfer from below? All wood has an R value. You have water pipes up there. Right now you are heating the space from below. What impact will that new floor have on the ambient temp of the attic space if you create a dead air space (insulation with the flooring (more insulation)?

It's dead air space with or without flooring. The other side has flooring that's been there since about 1960 with no issues. The water pipes have been there since around 1970 with no issues. I just had that rigid board installed in 2012 to do it right but over 40 years of it being wrong and it's still there working fine. That new work doubled the R value from about R15 to about R30. Not worried at all about pipes freezing, weight, dead air, or anything else crazy people can come up with only flooring and that it's already decided to be 5/8" plywood.

--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman

--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

For your own safety you should at least ask the architect who designed your garage about how much you can safely store there. He may already have those joists at near max. load with how he designed it.

min 2' prestressed lw. conc. panels with piers framing into heilical piles in the basement.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
reply to Draiman
An advantage of plywood is that the layers provide redundancy, defects are much less likely to go "all the way through" than with non-laminated products.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman
I just priced out 1x6, 1x8, and 1x12 lumber. It's out of the ballpark sitting around $850-900 for the project where plywood is around $425.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to Draiman
said by Draiman:

I was just talking with a co-worker who suggested just using standard 1" x 3" strapping since it's cheap. I don't mind the labor but would that work?

If this were my attic this is what I would do.

Since you have a small access portal and all you want is crude subfloor for storage I'd use dimensional lumber rather then plywood. IMHO 1x3 strapping is too narrow. I'd check with your lumber yard to see what they have that is cheap but wider, 1x6s are ideal. Since this is not tongue and groove lumber each piece needs to be able to fully support whatever load is placed on it. A crappy 1x3 with a big knot in the middle of a joist span means your foot might go right through the board.

Using dimensional lumber rather then plywood also makes it easier to add wiring or plumbing later since you only have to pull up a few boards in critical locations rather then large sheets of plywood.

/tom

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
reply to Draiman
Ah, I missed that, sorry. I was only concerned that you may cause an unsafe situation, I guess that was unwise.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

For your own safety you should at least ask the architect who designed your garage about how much you can safely store there. He may already have those joists at near max. load with how he designed it.

What does the garage have to do with the house? They have separate joists as they are completely different structures. I think your confused. The garage joists were oversized a LOT so there's no way in hell weight will ever be an issue in the new garage. The new garage attic space is already floored so it couldn't even be the subject of this thread.
--

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
reply to Draiman
Expand your moderator at work