Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Draiman

Re: Attic flooring

said by Draiman:

If there haven't been any issues in over 40-50 years so far there's no reason to think they will start now. If that's not enough time to know nothing is!

If you only did the new insulation last year, the last 40 years are no measure at all.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
In case you didn't hear or understand the first time. Please refrain from derailing the thread with off topic stuff. You should know better then this!
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit
reply to Draiman
*removed*

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
This isn't the For Sale forum.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC

3 edits
reply to Draiman
Please refrain from derailing the thread with off topic stuff. You should know better then this!
Expand your moderator at work

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

I just ordered the 5/8" CDX Fir/Spruce Plywood @$25.40/ea and they are ripping it into 2' x 4' pieces (quarters) and delivering it at no charge tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the help. That concludes this thread.

PS: Mods can lock it up!

Once again, this isn't the For Sale forum.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to Draiman
I just ordered the 5/8" CDX Fir/Spruce Plywood @$25.40/ea and they are ripping it into 2' x 4' pieces (quarters) and delivering it at no charge tomorrow. If anyone wants pictures when it's finished let me know via IM.

Thanks to everyone for the help. That concludes my involvement in this thread.

PS: Feel free to discuss this more as it might pertain to someone else searching Google about this same thing. I'm all set on tips, advice, etc. on my project though.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by robbin:

said by DKS:

You may also have moisture/condensation problems. You appear to have no soffit venting, with the insulation plugging that air space up. I would describe that attic as a mould farm just waiting to happen. Attics have air circulation for a reason. That seems to be a dead air space.

You should research conditioned or unventilated attics. It has become more popular in recent years.

In my environment, it's a non-starter. Attic air circulation and insulation are done for a reason. It actually cools the house.

I'm not going to Google it for you but you obviously have no insight into new thinking regarding conditioned, unventilated attics. It can be done in all climates although the climate will determine the proper design.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:6
reply to Draiman
wow, my brain hurts reading this thread..

sad to see the convo goto shit like this.. xcal, kudos on keepin it together.. and good luck with your project, 1/2" ply is the good choice.

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to sempergoofy
said by sempergoofy:

A system to consider:
»www.infiniteattic.com/

while those seem real need at 1st glance, they could be a major source of problems. Most engineered trusses are not designed to support extra weight (except for sheet rock and insulation) on the bottom stringers. Using the system without having approval of the designers of the trusses could lead to failure of the trusses.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman
Click for full size
They delivered the flooring yesterday. Those are ~2'x4' pieces of 5/8" CDX plywood. That's most of it minus the 12 pieces I moved into the house to install this week-end.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
Click for full size
I didn't get the first of three sections completely finished but it's coming along nicely. I put around 500 lbs of books onto a section and it didn't do anything. This section is around 7' x 12' the next is 7' x 22' and the last is 14' x 14'.
--

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Looking good! Are you using screws to hold down the flooring?

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by garys_2k:

Looking good! Are you using screws to hold down the flooring?

Yup! I used 4 screws on each joist and there is 4 joists per section so 16 screws per 2' x 4' section.
--

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to Draiman
Looks good and familiar. I did similar attic conversion over our garage in 2003 when my youngest was born. The only difference is I did place insulation over my unheated garage and made the attic space heated/cooled (and 2 x electrical outlets, overhead light and networked ... fun, fun).
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

lazidazi

@frontiernet.net
reply to Draiman

Re: Insulating Attic

Okay, now - please don't anyone get fussy with me for asking an ignorant question.

RE Xcal's pictures, insulating attic with rigid foam board on the bottom edge of roof rafters: When one does this, is insulation at/between the ceiling joists then not needed? Is the rigid insulation at the rafters all that's needed for the attic? [including, of course, what he's done on the gable ends, et al]

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by lazidazi :

Okay, now - please don't anyone get fussy with me for asking an ignorant question.

RE Xcal's pictures, insulating attic with rigid foam board on the bottom edge of roof rafters: When one does this, is insulation at/between the ceiling joists then not needed? Is the rigid insulation at the rafters all that's needed for the attic? [including, of course, what he's done on the gable ends, et al]

You use fiberglass insulation under the rigid board to create a higher r-value insulation while moving the thermal envelope. R-19 fiberglass is the most common under the rigid board which is R-13 for a 2" thickness for a total of R-32. If you can get more then R-19 under the rigid board that's great. Some people use foam instead of fiberglass.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to lazidazi
said by lazidazi :

This type of discussion should probably have a thread of it's own but in the meantime I will quote what I posted to another member earlier in this thread.

said by robbin:

You should research conditioned or unventilated attics. It has become more popular in recent years.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
reply to Draiman

lazidazi

@frontiernet.net
reply to Critsmcgee

Re: Insulating Attic

You use fiberglass insulation under the rigid board to create a higher r-value insulation while moving the thermal envelope.

Appreciate your reply!

To be sure I understand, one would put (at least) R-19 fiberglass bats, between roof rafters, then put rigid board along bottom edge of rafters. Correct?

I currently have blown-in insulation between [8"] ceiling joists. If I attend the rafters, as per above, will that then suffice [assuming all other air gaps between living space & attic are stopped] as far as insulating the attic?

Attending the rafters w/insulation is going to be quite expensive!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to robbin
Yeah, it allows you to NOT have a ventilated attic, where the goal would be to keep the attic space as cold as possible. All of the insulaiton is against the roof's inner surface, with the vapor retarder (in this case, the rigid foam boards' foil sheet) facing the attic. Spray foam like Icynene can be used for this as well as unfaced fiberglass (the spray foam has more R/inch but either can work).

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to lazidazi
said by lazidazi :

Attending the rafters w/insulation is going to be quite expensive!

check your ROI when looking at costs and finance accordingly.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Not sure exactly how much it cost to have done last year since they lots of other work as well at the same time. The total bill was $3,200 so I'm guessing maybe half that was the insulation and rigid board for the roof. They did about 250 sq. ft. so maybe somewhere around $6 per sq. ft. for them to do. I got a 75% discount as my power company covers the first 75%. I couldn't pass up $3,200 in work at a cost of $800 last year. I'm pretty sure we've already made that $800 back in heating cost saving so far. Normally buy 1,000 gallons of oil a year. We're on pace to use around 600 gallons which is less then last year which was 700 gallons and this year is a fair deal colder then last year. Right now oil is running about $3.60 a gallon and based on the heating degree days we should use 800 so that's a 200 gallon savings if it holds. That's a 1 year ROI. I'd do any home improvement project regardless of cost if it was a 1 year ROI!
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman
They just said this year is 2% below 'normal and last year was 11% below 'normal. That means the new insulation is really helping out!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
The flooring in the first section is done.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
Nice.

Question: any reason not to have staggered (the joints) the flooring? All the sheets look lined up...

How do you like the Panasonic driver? I am really happy with mine...so long between charges.
--
Splat

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
said by cableties:

Question: any reason not to have staggered (the joints) the flooring? All the sheets look lined up...

That would just increase the material cost, waste, and labor adding no real value in return for attic flooring.

said by cableties:

How do you like the Panasonic driver? I am really happy with mine...so long between charges.

That's a Makita Impact Driver. I bought it about 2 years ago and can't live without it anymore. The battery takes 15 minutes tops to charge and normally lasts 8-12 hours of use. I did all that flooring on the same battery for example.
--
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
Click for full size
Here's the next section I need to install lighting and a floor. The insulation is about 2" higher then the joists so there will be a little compaction but the room below is 2-3 degrees warmer then any other room in the house anyways so it might actually help level it out which would be a good thing. It's roughly a 14' x 14' area.
--
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to Draiman
"That's a Makita Impact Driver. I bought it about 2 years ago and can't live without it anymore. The battery takes 15 minutes tops to charge and normally lasts 8-12 hours of use. I did all that flooring on the same battery for example."

It looks just like my Panny driver (impact). And I agree, best tool I've had with amazing torgue and battery life!
--
Splat