how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lazidazi

@frontiernet.net
reply to Critsmcgee

Re: Insulating Attic

You use fiberglass insulation under the rigid board to create a higher r-value insulation while moving the thermal envelope.

Appreciate your reply!

To be sure I understand, one would put (at least) R-19 fiberglass bats, between roof rafters, then put rigid board along bottom edge of rafters. Correct?

I currently have blown-in insulation between [8"] ceiling joists. If I attend the rafters, as per above, will that then suffice [assuming all other air gaps between living space & attic are stopped] as far as insulating the attic?

Attending the rafters w/insulation is going to be quite expensive!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to robbin
Yeah, it allows you to NOT have a ventilated attic, where the goal would be to keep the attic space as cold as possible. All of the insulaiton is against the roof's inner surface, with the vapor retarder (in this case, the rigid foam boards' foil sheet) facing the attic. Spray foam like Icynene can be used for this as well as unfaced fiberglass (the spray foam has more R/inch but either can work).

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to lazidazi
said by lazidazi :

Attending the rafters w/insulation is going to be quite expensive!

check your ROI when looking at costs and finance accordingly.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Re: Attic flooring

Not sure exactly how much it cost to have done last year since they lots of other work as well at the same time. The total bill was $3,200 so I'm guessing maybe half that was the insulation and rigid board for the roof. They did about 250 sq. ft. so maybe somewhere around $6 per sq. ft. for them to do. I got a 75% discount as my power company covers the first 75%. I couldn't pass up $3,200 in work at a cost of $800 last year. I'm pretty sure we've already made that $800 back in heating cost saving so far. Normally buy 1,000 gallons of oil a year. We're on pace to use around 600 gallons which is less then last year which was 700 gallons and this year is a fair deal colder then last year. Right now oil is running about $3.60 a gallon and based on the heating degree days we should use 800 so that's a 200 gallon savings if it holds. That's a 1 year ROI. I'd do any home improvement project regardless of cost if it was a 1 year ROI!
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Draiman
They just said this year is 2% below 'normal and last year was 11% below 'normal. That means the new insulation is really helping out!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
The flooring in the first section is done.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
Nice.

Question: any reason not to have staggered (the joints) the flooring? All the sheets look lined up...

How do you like the Panasonic driver? I am really happy with mine...so long between charges.
--
Splat

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
said by cableties:

Question: any reason not to have staggered (the joints) the flooring? All the sheets look lined up...

That would just increase the material cost, waste, and labor adding no real value in return for attic flooring.

said by cableties:

How do you like the Panasonic driver? I am really happy with mine...so long between charges.

That's a Makita Impact Driver. I bought it about 2 years ago and can't live without it anymore. The battery takes 15 minutes tops to charge and normally lasts 8-12 hours of use. I did all that flooring on the same battery for example.
--
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
Click for full size
Here's the next section I need to install lighting and a floor. The insulation is about 2" higher then the joists so there will be a little compaction but the room below is 2-3 degrees warmer then any other room in the house anyways so it might actually help level it out which would be a good thing. It's roughly a 14' x 14' area.
--
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to Draiman
"That's a Makita Impact Driver. I bought it about 2 years ago and can't live without it anymore. The battery takes 15 minutes tops to charge and normally lasts 8-12 hours of use. I did all that flooring on the same battery for example."

It looks just like my Panny driver (impact). And I agree, best tool I've had with amazing torgue and battery life!
--
Splat

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
I framed out the knee wall opening this week-end. I'll take some pictures tonight and post them. The last part is building the knee wall door. Thanks to Dennis's thread on the topic I was able to build one in the new garage so building another should be cake.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's a few new pictures. I'll be building the door to go in the frame this week sometime. I plan to have the knee wall door completely done by the end of the week and move on to the next section.
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
Click for full size
I finished up the knee wall door yesterday.

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA
reply to Draiman
That turned out nice!