jeffmoss26 to pandora

to pandora

Re: My addition will take almost 2 miles of Cat 6

medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

3 edits

medbuyer

when our manufacturing bldg. was being built, i saw boxes and boxes of cat6 and fiber being laid out as planned....i would presume we probably laid out at least 2 miles or more...

in my bullpen alone with 4 workstations, each station had 2 runs of cat6, 1 for voice and 1 for data. office alone has like 50 runs or more and manufacturing floor filled with network capable cnc, grinding, turning, milling etc. machines not counting the network connected / monitored processes and or machines are like 50-75 runs....

but 28 runs on one single room in a house? that's insane!! not to mention the waste of money...all for the love of gigabit gaming...

m sure the low voltage company was seeing dollar signs for the install...

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

I don't understand why pandora See Profile is getting so much criticism for his plans. If I could afford it I would wire my home with a similar number of cables (if not more, I'd probably add some cables for purposes he hasn't mentioned).

Those who can't imagine about furniture being rearranged every couple of years probably aren't married. If you are raising children you find that not only does furniture change but the entire purpose of some rooms tends to change over time.

Having that many outlets with multiple communication cables in each room clearly is luxury but I don't think it is unreasonable. If it is done when the rooms are being build (as is the case here with the new home addition) then the added costs aren't that extreme either (a retrofit of that many outlets in an existing home is a totally different story).

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

quote:
Those who can't imagine about furniture being rearranged every couple of years probably aren't married. If you are raising children you find that not only does furniture change but the entire purpose of some rooms tends to change over time.
Not that often for moving furniture - maybe once every 3-4 years max and the rooms - have not really changed in purpose.

Certainly if he can afford it - more power to him but I can fully understand the insanity of 20+ drops per room.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer to leibold

to leibold
said by leibold:

I don't understand why pandora See Profile is getting so much criticism for his plans. If I could afford it I would wire my home with a similar number of cables (if not more, I'd probably add some cables for purposes he hasn't mentioned).

you rearrange furniture every 2 years just because you got kids?

i got kids too and I don't rearrange furniture every 2 years, in fact, I haven't moved any of my furniture for the last 5 years. unless of course, we get some more.

his plans are for his use and our criticisms are for him to listen / ponder or ignore however he chooses.

everybody incl. me can't understand his 28 runs in one room in a 1970's house with an addition. even he himself admitted that only some will be active...it's not like he's gonna have 10 to 12 hardwired devices in one or every room, unless it's the home theater room or similar, but hey, it's his money right!?

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold

MVM

said by medbuyer:

even he himself admitted that only some will be active...it's not like he's gonna have 10 to 12 hardwired devices in one or every room

You are looking at it from a different point of view. Your view seems to be that if you spend money on installing those cables you want to get some benefit/use out of them. That is of course a perfectly valid point of view, but not the one I'm using to look at it (and by the sound of it pandora See Profile too).

The alternate point of view is that for those 2 to 4 networked devices that actually end up in the room there is going to be a conveniently close outlet that can be used without running a long patch cord across the entire room. There clearly is an added cost for this convenience and in my own home I only have one cable drop (two outlets) per room (retrofitting an old home is just too much work or too expensive). That doesn't stop me from wishing I had many more, especially when I have to use one of those mini-switches. Those mini-switches tend to block several power outlets with their external power supplies which then means I no longer have the power outlet I need for the network device I want to attach (this means using a power-strip for an even bigger mess of cables).

jig
join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

1 recommendation

jig to leibold

to leibold
spoken by someone who hasn't crimped 28 cat6 cables to corresponding rj45 ends...

i don't really see a rational person thinking that furniture will change more than once in a child's room... there's basically a single transition from when they're "young" to when they start driving, and that's mainly to conform the bed to their growing length and to add (if it's not already there) a school work desk. that's pretty easy to plan for. no mention of conduit for the runs, so when cat7 comes out or you need fiber, what are you going to do?

i'll note that the number of runs bandied about here far exceeds the cabling colleges supply in their dorms.

this really sounds like a commercial install for an already specified business need, not a residence. beyond that, many parents would prefer their kids (1) use media appliances in a central location where they can be periodically monitored, and (2) have bedrooms that are geared more towards sleeping, not sequestering themselves away from the rest of the family. 400amp service, rooms with cameras outside the doors, almost 30 cat6 runs to each room... doesn't add up. i'd have to look it up, but i think that's significantly more than what kim dot com had in his house in NZ, and that's not really a rational measure, is it?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by jig:

i don't really see a rational person thinking that furniture will change more than once in a child's room... there's basically a single transition from when they're "young" to when they start driving, and that's mainly to conform the bed to their growing length and to add (if it's not already there) a school work desk. that's pretty easy to plan for.

When I was growing up I rearranged my room on a regular basis -- sometimes multiple times per year.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to leibold

to leibold
said by leibold:

said by medbuyer:

even he himself admitted that only some will be active...it's not like he's gonna have 10 to 12 hardwired devices in one or every room

You are looking at it from a different point of view. Your view seems to be that if you spend money on installing those cables you want to get some benefit/use out of them. That is of course a perfectly valid point of view, but not the one I'm using to look at it (and by the sound of it pandora See Profile too).

The alternate point of view is that for those 2 to 4 networked devices that actually end up in the room there is going to be a conveniently close outlet that can be used without running a long patch cord across the entire room. There clearly is an added cost for this convenience and in my own home I only have one cable drop (two outlets) per room (retrofitting an old home is just too much work or too expensive). That doesn't stop me from wishing I had many more, especially when I have to use one of those mini-switches. Those mini-switches tend to block several power outlets with their external power supplies which then means I no longer have the power outlet I need for the network device I want to attach (this means using a power-strip for an even bigger mess of cables).

for 2-4 or even 6 devices in one room, wouldn't 3 or even 4 outlets in each wall with 2 cat6 runs be more than enough so that you won't need a switch or anything else that you need to have power nearby?

and again with planning, you can locate those outlets in a good location such that you won't be running long patch cords unless you got a room the size of a football field.
said by robbin:

When I was growing up I rearranged my room on a regular basis -- sometimes multiple times per year.

and how many ethernet outlets did you have back then?

you did your own room and that's fine, whatever suited to your zen space is what's important right.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

1 edit

2 recommendations

GadgetsRme to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

said by jig:

i don't really see a rational person thinking that furniture will change more than once in a child's room... there's basically a single transition from when they're "young" to when they start driving, and that's mainly to conform the bed to their growing length and to add (if it's not already there) a school work desk. that's pretty easy to plan for.

My daughter in law rearranges furniture anywhere from 3 to 6 times a year just because she likes to do it. They have a house that would make you scream to cable. The kids are sent outdoors if they need play time, no gaming on the computer unless it is educational, so for them wireless works. Pandora has gaming requirements so hard wired connection is better. Pandora wants minimum exposure of cables and switches so multiple access points are required. It is a personal preference on how to do it. Anyone denigrating his choice is really out of line. Saying you wouldn't do it that way is one thing, being critical calling it stupid or any other similar adjective is another and really not acceptable.

Edit: spelling
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer

said by GadgetsRme:

Anyone denigrating his choice is really out of line. Saying you wouldn't do it that way is one thing, being critical calling it stupid or any other similar adjective is another and really not acceptable.

you know that dslreports are forums right? where anybody can voice out their opinion whether it's right or wrong and however the OP chooses to digest those is up to him...

bottomline is everybody or rather most who have read and or posted just can't understand his planned network. if gaming is his forte, nobody's questioning that.

if he offered more details as to why, then maybe we could have all understood a little better but there wasn't any.

but you know what, I would love to see pics of this install, location and all...maybe even when it's in use...with all that wiring, his house might be a good cover candidate for Electronic House magazine...but wait, he didn't say how many speaker runs of 12 gage in wall rated wire he did....
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

Moffetts

said by medbuyer:

said by GadgetsRme:

Anyone denigrating his choice is really out of line. Saying you wouldn't do it that way is one thing, being critical calling it stupid or any other similar adjective is another and really not acceptable.

but wait, he didn't say how many speaker runs of 12 gage in wall rated wire he did....

Probably like 8 drops every 72 inches.

jig
join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

jig to GadgetsRme

to GadgetsRme
said by GadgetsRme:

i brought the rationale up because i question it on a more fundamental level. if you'd prefer, you can imagine that the extent of my criticism left off at suggesting pandora install large-bore low-voltage conduit that's easy to fish cables through, if he were going to go through the trouble to do all that cabling anyway. he certainly doesn't appear to be cost-adverse or reluctant to over-engineer.