Search similar:

uniqs
Somersett
join:2004-12-04
Scotland

Somersett to StuartMW

to StuartMW

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Unable To Install

Same here. I had to manually update when I logged on a short time ago.

Darth Bane
@bellaliant.net

Darth Bane

Anon

I just updated to 455 but the latest update is actually 547, so it's definitely not fixed yet.

Here's a thread about the problem at Microsoft.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

Really disappointed in this. Even if you update manually through the program you get old definitions.

Apparently Windows Defender (Win 8) is not having any issues. Wouldn't it be the same servers? Seems almost as if MS has started abandoning MSE.

Three days without resolving this is ridiculous. Imagine how many people don't know how to update manually through the program let alone download the current definitions. I'm sure many systems have/will be compromised because of this.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by baess:

Even if you update manually through the program you get old definitions.

Rubbish.

I just did an manual update on two machines and got the above.
baess

baess

said by StuartMW:

Rubbish.

I just did an manual update on two machines and got the above.

Not rubbish for me as a manual update didn't give me the most current definitions on two different computers.

1st stays at. .533 (manually dl'd earlier)
2nd stays at .502 (even older).

Furthermore a manual check through WU doesn't even bring up an available update on the 2nd and brings an old definition on the first.

So why is yours working when numerous others report it is not?

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

1 recommendation

Exidor to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
It appears to me that there may be some confusion about doing a manual update for MSE.

Some users may consider a manual update to be simply clicking the Update button within MSE.

Other users would define a manual update as:

"Download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates for your PC"

from »www.microsoft.com/securi ··· mse.aspx

On my system, I could not do a manual update from within MSE but could do a manual update by downloading and installing the latest definitions updates from the above link.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

Plus the file you download must be run under an Administrator account (e.g. "Run as administrator").
baess

baess to Exidor

to Exidor
said by Exidor:

It appears to me that there may be some confusion about doing a manual update for MSE.

Some users may consider a manual update to be simply clicking the Update button within MSE.

Other users would define a manual update as:

"Download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates for your PC"

from »www.microsoft.com/securi ··· mse.aspx

On my system, I could not do a manual update from within MSE but could do a manual update by downloading and installing the latest definitions updates from the above link.

I specifically mentioned "through the program". I have been able to download definitions from microsoft.com throughout this. There is still a problem with the program.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by baess:

There is still a problem with the program.

No there is not. There's a problem with the Microsoft update mechanism.

Definitions are being generated and can be downloaded/installed. Many in this thread have been doing it.

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

Exidor to baess

Premium Member

to baess
said by baess:

There is still a problem with the program.

I agree! Sorry for any confusion on my part.

ahulett
Premium Member
join:2003-02-02
Little Elm, TX

1 recommendation

ahulett to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
The team that owns publishing signature updates identified something else (I don't know what) and is working to resolve. I don't have any ETA but thought I'd at least mention it's known and under review.

//A

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Just got an update via Windows Update on one box. Used the Update button in MSE on another and that worked. Both have update 548 created 1/22/2013 5:28.
chevysales
join:2001-01-24
East Haven, CT

chevysales

21 page thread at ms forum for MSE on this issue...

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· e4390b69

only way i or it seems anyone has been able to update is by downloading def and nis files at manual update portal.

BTW this isn't effecting windows 8 defender.

i have a desktop and 4 lappys on our home network and this is a pain in butt. windows 7 pro 64 bit

ms manual updates here pick 64 or 32 bit
»www.microsoft.com/securi ··· mse.aspx

also the NIS file they have posted will put event log error in event log as its one release back. this according to reading windows update log which is one place MSE logs all updates. spent a day with this and it gets a poor rating from AV comparatives yet i read other sources like fred langa etc where it is touted as good.

on another note also updated java to 7.11 and then turned it off in IE9 as reliving these drive by viri is crazy and we have CERT telling us turn off java.

Darth Bane
@bellaliant.net

Darth Bane

Anon

Seems to be fixed now. Just did an update and got 575, which is what the latest definitions are.

CovMac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA

CovMac

Premium Member

Got an auto-update this A.M. at 5:58 CST to .629. So auto-update seems to have been fixed.
Somersett
Scotland

Somersett

I am not so sure. I opened MSE a few minutes ago and clicked on 'Update.' The programme downloaded and installed definitions 1.143.707.0 I then visited the Microsoft Malware Protection Website to find that it was showing the latest definitions as 1.143.709.0. I re-opened MSE and clicked on update. It indicated that my definitions were up to date and did not download 1.143.709.0.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Auto-updates are working fine for me as are manual (Update button within MSE).

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Somersett

Premium Member

to Somersett
Seems to be sort of fixed. I checked and was up to .705 (without me manually downloading), said up to date. I clicked the update button and it updated me to .723 (maybe it just wasn't time for the updater to run again).

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by La Luna:

(maybe it just wasn't time for the updater to run again).

Automatic definition updates only occur a few times per day. The actual times seem to be randomized. That said you can use the option to force a definitions update before a scheduled scan is run.

ahulett
Premium Member
join:2003-02-02
Little Elm, TX

ahulett to Somersett

Premium Member

to Somersett
said by Somersett:

I am not so sure. I opened MSE a few minutes ago and clicked on 'Update.' The programme downloaded and installed definitions 1.143.707.0 I then visited the Microsoft Malware Protection Website to find that it was showing the latest definitions as 1.143.709.0. I re-opened MSE and clicked on update. It indicated that my definitions were up to date and did not download 1.143.709.0.

This is OK. Two things to keep in mind: 1) there may be a delay between when an updated signature package is available at the Security Portal and at Windows/Microsoft Update, and 2) we update the portal more frequently than WU/MU. Dynamic Signature Service is available, too, to help provide coverage between updates.

Regards,
Aaron

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Yep, have that box checked.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Somersett

Premium Member

to Somersett
Hmm... no updates overnight. I wonder if the servers have borked again?
Somersett
Scotland

Somersett

Microsoft Malware Protection Centre is now showing the latest definitions as 1.143.1.1804.0.

My copy of MSE is showing 1.143.1.1696 and when I click on 'Update' in the GUI, it says up to date.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Somersett:

My copy of MSE is showing 1.143.1.1696 and when I click on 'Update' in the GUI, it says up to date.

Exactly what I'm seeing as well.

1.143.1.1696 created 2/6/2013 3:15

FYI manually downloaded definitions (links above) are the same as above.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Somersett

Premium Member

to Somersett
Mine was still at 1696 just now, but when I clicked update it successfully downloaded and installed 1804.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Mine auto-updated to 1.143.1804 2/7/2013 3:31 about 40 minutes ago but I just noticed.