uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Just the usual French attack on US companies

France has been fighting this war against US multinationals for some time. The primary tool against US tech companies has been monopoly lawsuits. The main victim there was Microsoft, and Intel also in the sights of French/EU regulators. They tried that tactic against Google, and still are, but so far Google has beaten back the monopoly attacks. They then tried privacy regulation as the next tactic against Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc. That battle is still ongoing. The tax the collection of privacy data is just a corollary of the privacy attack. But let's not forget that all of the above is just more of the economic warfare France and the EU had waged against US multinationals for many years.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

Why the hell should France not be able to tax what they want to tax? That is a right of any government.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by ArrayList:

Why the hell should France not be able to tax what they want to tax? That is a right of any government.

But as signatories to international WTO trade agreements and also to bilateral trade agreements with the US, certain actions are out of bounds. Can they do it anyway, sure. But then they open up themselves to sanctions on trade and import duties against their own companies - like huge import taxes on wines, clothing companies, etc.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to FFH

Perhaps GOOG should buy out the French gov't..they have the money to don't they?

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA
reply to FFH

no complaints here.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA
reply to bn1221

I don't think you can literally buy a government.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink

said by ArrayList:

I don't think you can literally buy a government.

ROFLMAO!
--
"Executive orders" or rule by fiat. You decide.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to ArrayList

Because France is part of the EU, and thus GOOG "recognizes" a vast sum of their earnings back to the UK where is pays much lower taxes. Notice how GOOG is buying a $1b plot of land in the UK to build their EU HQ. Interestingly enough they are doing that SO they don't have to repatriate the earnings back to the US and pay US taxes on it.

It's all a shell game....

Blame it on the EU, not GOOG. They are just playing the game. France is trying to create a toll booth before exiting France, which is actually a great way to break up the harmonious EU which is supposed to be borderless

While I agree that if revenue comes from France should be taxed as such, laws are made up by lobbyists so for every loser there is always a winner, and it is never fair. Get used to it when the government intervenes.

djm61
Change? HAH

join:2001-06-20
Simi Valley, CA
reply to ArrayList

Have you looked an Congress lately?

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA

who in their right mind would want to own Congress?