join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Condensation on Attic fan, normal??

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Since I am getting condensation on my windows, I decided to get in the attic and look to see if there is any condensation..

I couldn't find any other than the attic fan, is this bad? How can I fix? What else should I look for?

I sent my humidifier to 1 (lowest before off)

Thanks!

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

Depending on the type of construction, and local codes may be different, at a minimum you should have 1 sq.ft of vent opening area for every 300 sq.ft of attic floor area. More is better.

If vents are inadequate or blocked, moisture vapor can't escape readily enough and can condense on cold surfaces.

One thing to look at is it's possible there is heated air leakage into the attic from the living space.

Check any plumbing vent or chimney pipe chases for a good seal. If you have pull down attic stairs, make sure it's properly weatherstripped.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

said by jack b:

One thing to look at is it's possible there is heated air leakage into the attic from the living space.

OK, I'm gonna dive into this a little and ask--- When did this become such a hot-button problem? I realize the issue, just playing devil's advocate a bit, because for decades it was pretty much standard-fare for bathroom vent fans to simply dump into the attic space. Most "older" carpenters etc that you ask about it will agree, and most also say they never saw damaging effects from the old practice.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by SuperNet:

Since I am getting condensation on my windows, I decided to get in the attic and look to see if there is any condensation..

I couldn't find any other than the attic fan, is this bad? How can I fix? What else should I look for?

I sent my humidifier to 1 (lowest before off)

Thanks!

I am scared of Mold
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to mattmag

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

said by jack b:

OK, I'm gonna dive into this a little and ask--- When did this become such a hot-button problem? I realize the issue, just playing devil's advocate a bit, because for decades it was pretty much standard-fare for bathroom vent fans to simply dump into the attic space. Most "older" carpenters etc that you ask about it will agree, and most also say they never saw damaging effects from the old practice.

Same here. We moved into our previous house in 2000. The inspector noted the bathroom fan discharged right into the attic. Said we should fix it because of mold. In 2012 when we sold it, I fixed it and put the vent through the side of the house. Total attic mold - 0. Nothing, nada. Beams and insulation were fine.
itguy05

itguy05 to SuperNet

to SuperNet

said by SuperNet See Profile
I am scared of Mold

Why? Mold is everywhere in the air we breathe. Just don't create an environment for it to grow (ie: keep moisture to a minimum) and it should not be a problem.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

I'm not sure where you are getting this information from. It's against most building codes and certainly a bad practice to have exhaust fans vent into the attic. They should vent directly to the outside.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by Msradell:

said by mattmag:

I'm not sure where you are getting this information from. It's against most building codes and certainly a bad practice to have exhaust fans vent into the attic. They should vent directly to the outside.

You mean it's against CURRENT building codes? I'm sure at one point it was was well within code.

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978
join:2001-11-03
Fruita, CO

Red_Menace to mattmag

to mattmag
Code and old standards aside, the question was about condensation. Moisture in warmer air leaked (or sent) into a cooler attic will condense on the colder parts (such as a metal fan housing) if it isn't vented properly, that is all.