share rss forum feed

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Trouble getting FiOS service restored after Sandy

I'm trying to help a neighbor who has been having nothing but heartache getting his FiOS service restored after Sandy. Before Sandy he had FiOS TV, internet and 2 phone lines served out of his ONT. He had an additional 3rd phone line over copper. After power was restored all was working except his 3rd phone line over copper. To make a long story short, after many service calls, hours spent with customer service and a period of 5 weeks when VZ disconnected all of his phone service he still doesn't have his service fully restored. Customer service said that they couldn't repair his copper and that they had to order an ONT which supported 4 phone lines. They installed the 4 line ONT but the one that they installed alledgely doesn't support MOCA WAN. The ONT is installed in his garage and the router is in a second floor room. The repair technician would not run cat 5 to his router from the ONT and tried to install a jury rig using MOCA adapters. They were never able to get the MOCA adapters working properly. As it stands now his TV and his 3 phone liines are working but his internet only works once in a while.
My questions - which I'm directing to any FiOS techs reading this is - couldn't the repair tech. have installed an ONT which supports 4 phone lines, TV service and MOCA WAN? If there is no ONT that supports 4 tel. lines and MOCA WAN shouldn't repair service have run a CAT5 cable from his ONT to his router? Since he had full service before Sandy should repair service have closed out this trouble report without fully restoring service?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

If they are Tellabs, the 611 is the ONT with 4 POTS lines but no MoCA. If they are Motorola, the 1000JI has 4 POTS lines and MoCA.

The repiar technician should have run CAT5 to resolve the data issue - no excuses.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to lijacobs

I see a few approaches, depending on whether the neighbor wants to push VZ to fix this, wants to try and resolver it himself (with your help), or he's willing to spend a few bucks to fix it.

1) If he wants VZ to fix it, then it's probably time to escalate this to Executive Customer Relations.

2) Try and resolve the MOCA bridge issue. I can't tell from what you posted exactly what VZ installed. Need to know the exact model number of the ONT. I guessing VZ installed a router at the ONT via cat5 then installed a pair of ECB2200Vs to get ethernet to the second floor where the previous router was. Need more information about the exact configuration (all the pieces). Also not clear if the neighbor has FIOS-TV or not.

3) If the neighbor really wants the router on the second floor, has given up on VZ and is willing to spend about $80, pick up a D-Link DXN-221 and use it as a MOCA WAN bridge.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How to use a MOCA WAN bridge?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

smrtech

join:2009-09-21
Springfield, PA
reply to lijacobs

I have an Alcatel-Lucent SOHO ONT, I believe it is
O-821G with 3 phone lines enabled. I am pretty sure
this supports MoCA, but I don't use MoCA.

Can't they go to another ONT model?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

It depends what is available in the CO and the customer's serving splitter.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to smrtech

said by smrtech:

Until we know the exact model of ONT, we can't determine if the neighbor is on BPON or GPON, which determines which ONTs can be used.

If the neighbor is on BPON (which I suspect) and a Tellabs ONT, as nycdave See Profile pointed out, the only option is the 611 which doesn't support MOCA.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by More Fiber:

said by smrtech:

Until we know the exact model of ONT, we can't determine if the neighbor is on BPON or GPON, which determines which ONTs can be used.

If the neighbor is on BPON (which I suspect) and a Tellabs ONT, as nycdave See Profile pointed out, the only option is the 611 which doesn't support MOCA.

I'd be happy to give him my 611 in exchange for a new ONT... I only need two telephone lines and Ethernet for my Internet.

Wish it were that easy!

lijacobs

Lawrence, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

I see a few approaches, depending on whether the neighbor wants to push VZ to fix this, wants to try and resolver it himself (with your help), or he's willing to spend a few bucks to fix it.

1) If he wants VZ to fix it, then it's probably time to escalate this to Executive Customer Relations.

2) Try and resolve the MOCA bridge issue. I can't tell from what you posted exactly what VZ installed. Need to know the exact model number of the ONT. I guessing VZ installed a router at the ONT via cat5 then installed a pair of ECB2200Vs to get ethernet to the second floor where the previous router was. Need more information about the exact configuration (all the pieces). Also not clear if the neighbor has FIOS-TV or not.

3) If the neighbor really wants the router on the second floor, has given up on VZ and is willing to spend about $80, pick up a D-Link DXN-221 and use it as a MOCA WAN bridge.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How to use a MOCA WAN bridge?

1) I gave him the contact info for the president's hot line
2)He has FiOS TV. He has the Telltabs 1600-611 which is BPON and doesn't support MOCA LAN. They could have switched him to another splitter at the didtribution hub and given him an Alcatel ONT since GPON is supported in his CO (Far Rockaway, NY - NYCQNYFR) and others served by that CO have Alcatel ONTs. As it turns out they added an Actiontec MI424 next to the Telltabs ONT in his garage and are using that to supply MOCA LAN to his original Actiontec MI424 on the third floor which is now acting as an ethernet switch. This setup, however, is not working.

What is disheartening is that everything worked fine before VZ and not this customer decided to take his third line off of copper and change his ONT and while waiting for the replacement ONT to be delivered they disconnected all of his telephone service for 5 weeks. When I did troubleshooting for Verizon 10 years ago my colleagues and I would have concidered it insulting to treat a customer this way and we would never leave a job half done as seems to be what happened in this case.

tito79

join:2010-03-14
Brewster, NY
reply to lijacobs

Can you please post pictures of his setup or atleast of his ont ? thanks

lijacobs

Lawrence, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by tito79:

Can you please post pictures of his setup or atleast of his ont ? thanks

He now has the Tellabs 1600-611

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

Tito97 is trying to find out if it's new and gray or refurbished and yellow.

And actually I'd call that color "Ivory".

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to lijacobs

said by lijacobs:

they added an Actiontec MI424 next to the Telltabs ONT in his garage and are using that to supply MOCA LAN to his original Actiontec MI424 on the third floor which is now acting as an ethernet switch. This setup, however, is not working.

There are two solutions to this, and IMO there's only one real solution. One complicating factor is who gets to fix it.

1. Cat5 needs to be run to the second floor, and VZ should have done that.
2. The Actiontec in the garage providing MoCA LAN connection upstairs is a half-assed viable solution but may not have been setup right. You may be able to get a quicker fix by following this FAQ. »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax? But I think it's a poor long-term solution.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to lijacobs

I agree with the options birdfeedr See Profile posted.
From what you've described, it sounds like the bridging on the upstairs MI424-WR is not setup correctly.

There are generally 2 causes of this setup not working correctly.

1) It is IMPERATIVE that the Broadband (Coax) interface on the upstairs MI424-WR is DISABLED. Otherwise, the two routers will fight for control of the WAN connection to ONT and you will have intermittent connectivity as you describe. Follow the instructions part 2 of the FAQ that birdfeedr See Profile linked.

2) Bad coax/splitter/connector. This is less likely since that coax segment was working before, but in any case you should check the MOCA LAN stats.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How to check MOCA stats?
--

tito79

join:2010-03-14
Brewster, NY

Well was a try good luck.

lijacobs

Lawrence, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

1) It is IMPERATIVE that the Broadband (Coax) interface on the upstairs MI424-WR is DISABLED. Otherwise, the two routers will fight for control of the WAN connection to ONT and you will have intermittent connectivity as you describe. Follow the instructions part 2 of the FAQ that birdfeedr See Profile linked.

I'm going to see if my neighbor can get any satisfaction from the president's hotline before I make any changes to his setup myself.

Since the Tellabs 1600-611 ONT doesn't provide MOCA WAN is it really necessary to disable the Broadband (COAX) interface?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by lijacobs:

Since the Tellabs 1600-611 ONT doesn't provide MOCA WAN is it really necessary to disable the Broadband (COAX) interface?

Oops.

You're absolutely right. There is no MOCA WAN.
So no, no need to disable it, although I would probably do so on principle.
--

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to lijacobs

Make sure the upstairs MI424-WR has its DHCP server disabled and its LAN IP address is different then the downstairs one. It sounds like their IP addresses are the same and everything works when his computers "lock" onto the correct one, but stops working when locked onto the other.

/M