More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to lijacobs

MVM

to lijacobs

Re: Trouble getting FiOS service restored after Sandy

I see a few approaches, depending on whether the neighbor wants to push VZ to fix this, wants to try and resolver it himself (with your help), or he's willing to spend a few bucks to fix it.

1) If he wants VZ to fix it, then it's probably time to escalate this to Executive Customer Relations.

2) Try and resolve the MOCA bridge issue. I can't tell from what you posted exactly what VZ installed. Need to know the exact model number of the ONT. I guessing VZ installed a router at the ONT via cat5 then installed a pair of ECB2200Vs to get ethernet to the second floor where the previous router was. Need more information about the exact configuration (all the pieces). Also not clear if the neighbor has FIOS-TV or not.

3) If the neighbor really wants the router on the second floor, has given up on VZ and is willing to spend about $80, pick up a D-Link DXN-221 and use it as a MOCA WAN bridge.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How to use a MOCA WAN bridge?
lijacobs
join:2010-07-30
Woodmere, NY

lijacobs

said by More Fiber:

I see a few approaches, depending on whether the neighbor wants to push VZ to fix this, wants to try and resolver it himself (with your help), or he's willing to spend a few bucks to fix it.

1) If he wants VZ to fix it, then it's probably time to escalate this to Executive Customer Relations.

2) Try and resolve the MOCA bridge issue. I can't tell from what you posted exactly what VZ installed. Need to know the exact model number of the ONT. I guessing VZ installed a router at the ONT via cat5 then installed a pair of ECB2200Vs to get ethernet to the second floor where the previous router was. Need more information about the exact configuration (all the pieces). Also not clear if the neighbor has FIOS-TV or not.

3) If the neighbor really wants the router on the second floor, has given up on VZ and is willing to spend about $80, pick up a D-Link DXN-221 and use it as a MOCA WAN bridge.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How to use a MOCA WAN bridge?

1) I gave him the contact info for the president's hot line
2)He has FiOS TV. He has the Telltabs 1600-611 which is BPON and doesn't support MOCA LAN. They could have switched him to another splitter at the didtribution hub and given him an Alcatel ONT since GPON is supported in his CO (Far Rockaway, NY - NYCQNYFR) and others served by that CO have Alcatel ONTs. As it turns out they added an Actiontec MI424 next to the Telltabs ONT in his garage and are using that to supply MOCA LAN to his original Actiontec MI424 on the third floor which is now acting as an ethernet switch. This setup, however, is not working.

What is disheartening is that everything worked fine before VZ and not this customer decided to take his third line off of copper and change his ONT and while waiting for the replacement ONT to be delivered they disconnected all of his telephone service for 5 weeks. When I did troubleshooting for Verizon 10 years ago my colleagues and I would have concidered it insulting to treat a customer this way and we would never leave a job half done as seems to be what happened in this case.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by lijacobs:

they added an Actiontec MI424 next to the Telltabs ONT in his garage and are using that to supply MOCA LAN to his original Actiontec MI424 on the third floor which is now acting as an ethernet switch. This setup, however, is not working.

There are two solutions to this, and IMO there's only one real solution. One complicating factor is who gets to fix it.

1. Cat5 needs to be run to the second floor, and VZ should have done that.
2. The Actiontec in the garage providing MoCA LAN connection upstairs is a half-assed viable solution but may not have been setup right. You may be able to get a quicker fix by following this FAQ. »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax? But I think it's a poor long-term solution.