Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to RedMageX

Re: [INTERNET] Absurd Cogeco internet charges

said by RedMageX:

It's not a flawed meter, trust me.

I keep an eye on my usage and I know how much I use up.

The cases where there is still usage on the meter when the modem is unplugged is most likely a MAC cloning issue (black market type inet thieving system).

The usage tool gets it's information directly from the modem, so given logical thought on that note, no modem, no usage. If there is usage, swap the modem

NONSENSE !

If Cogeco's meter can be 'GAMED', then it IS a FLAWED METER !

If Cogeco cannot conjure up a better (more secure) way to measure usage than seems to be the case, then they should STOP MEASURING USAGE !

'NUFF SAID !

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

RedMageX

join:2011-10-06
Oakville, ON
It's not "gaming" the system. It's a known (albeit rare) situation and the only thing you can do about it is verify it's happening and swap the modem.

The term "Black Market" I used refers to illegal "hacking" (I hate to use that term since it's completely improperly used 99% of the time), and how much more secure than a UNIQUIE identifier can there be?

And regarding measuring usage, I would assume you feel that all companies that provide internet access through whatever means(ISP, cellular, etc) should have you agree to a contract with a specific usage given, and then NOT meter your usage? I think your logic is a bit backwards friend

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
START Today!
said by RedMageX:

It's not "gaming" the system. It's a known (albeit rare) situation and the only thing you can do about it is verify it's happening and swap the modem....

I get what you're saying, but from what I've been reading, this 'situation' is less rare than some believe.

There ARE further ways to identify a user, other than the MAC of the modem, and Cogeco ought to be leveraging the technology at their disposal to do so.

After all, it IS their reputation and profit margin which is 'on the line', and some of their other stupid rules (check my 2012 post history in this forum for full details), such as not allowing us to use our own external email address for notifications and forcing us to use one assigned by THEM, and then not running THEIR email boxes for us properly, regarding auto-forwarding - these are just more nails in their coffin.

Call it whatever you wish - Cogeco could do better for their customer base.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to RedMageX
It's not a flawed meter? Trust you?

Yeah ok.

Have a look around at the posts in this forum for the last 2 years. Please, try and keep up.

The meter, and the UBB system used by Cogeco, is flawed. If I were in charge of IC/MC, half of Cogeco's execs would be in prison.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

got_milk

join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON
said by dillyhammer:

If I were in charge of IC/MC, half of Cogeco's execs would be in prison.

Only half? You're awfully forgiving today.

I agree, however - every month Cogeco's bandwidth meter and the meter on my router never match up - Cogeco's meter always reports a significantly higher usage as well (in the magnitude of gigabytes). I'm on Business Standard so I'm (currently) not charged for overages but on a typical residential plan some of these discrepancies would definitely push me far into overage territory.
Expand your moderator at work

WarningU2
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Burlington, ON

Re: [INTERNET] Absurd Cogeco internet charges

Ummm I think there is something to this complaint but with a different conclusion.

Having recently joined the collective and Cogeco home phone I have this wacking big Arris modem, and I have noted an increase in my bandwidth since its introduction.

Unlike others here though ... I'm not sure its not invalid.

I'm thinking now its accurate based on my own monitoring the last few days. I downloaded BitMeter OS to my computers on my home network. The bandwidth used (reported by Coegeco) is close to what is being reported by BitMeter.

What I'm thinking is that my old modem wasn't reporting the bandwidth utilization correctly. Just my observation.

WiMax

join:2003-07-12
Canada
reply to Shecat2000
Move to a TPIA like Start. Cogeco won't help you, they don't care as long as they are making money from you. That's the bottom line.

Axanon

join:2008-12-18
Milton, ON
reply to Shecat2000
They are STEALING from people. Last time I checked, that was illegal in this country.

When you make a long distance phone call, the phone company doesn't just add on extra time. The gas company doesn't just say you used more gas.

See my post about the bandwidth discrepancy I just started noticing after I *thought* I was getting a better deal. »[INTERNET] Just switched to Turbo 20 noticing Bandwidth discrepa

rudeboy24

join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON
i don't understand why Measurement Canada doesn't get involved its a measurement of usage that you pay for ..just like electricity/gas.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to WarningU2
said by WarningU2:

....I'm not sure it's not invalid.....

....What I'm thinking is that my old modem wasn't reporting the bandwidth utilization correctly. Just my observation.

SHHHHH, then !

BTW, congrats on the Triple Negative.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to rudeboy24
said by rudeboy24:

i don't understand why Measurement Canada doesn't get involved its a measurement of usage that you pay for ..just like electricity/gas.

Yep, it's one of life's mysteries - much like the CaraMilk secret.