share rss forum feed

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

Wireless STB bandwidth utilization

Hello,
A co-worker is getting U-Verse. I've had it for eons and am happy. I do not have a wireless STB but he gets a free one.
Question:
Are the RG's still 802.11g WiFi?
Does the wireless STB use any of this for it's video bandwidth or does it have some sort of dedicated STB wireless system independent of the 802.11 WiFi ?
The point I would like to understand is if one has a wireless STB is it stealing bandwidth from the WiFi of the RG?
Tnx,
J

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net

The wireless receiver does not use the RG's wireless signal. The wireless receiver uses the wireless signal from it's own wireless access point.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to JimThePCGuy

I wonder how ATT plans to have this work with the new 802.11ac standard since they will occupy the same frequency band...

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
reply to JimThePCGuy

Is the STB essentially a half (quarter..) of an Xbox? If using real Xbox as your STB, can/must it also use that dedicated wifi? Can you select better channel, security-settings, etc. for that wifi?

Can (but shouldn't) wire your own networked devices to internet thru an ethernet port on the STB, right (for added latency hit of course)? If you do, are you exploiting the portion of the WAN-BW reserved for TV?

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4

XBox as STB is wired only.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Rangersfan

I have wireless U-verse. Seems to work fine but we're only going from master bedroom closet to MBR, haven't tried it at longer distances. They give you a separate Cisco branded WAP which uses 802.11n on the 5GHz band. It connects to the gateway via Ethernet cable. You can see it on a wifi scanner with its own SSID.