Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jpaik

join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON
reply to bt

Re: Okay, NOW Wind will definitely be foreign owned

The parent company is seeing Canada as a market to leave asap.

AFAIK, the regs prevent Wind from being sold to an incumbent company until 2014. I predict that Wind's owners will petition cabinet to change those rules. If unsuccessful, one of the incumbents will buy Wind on Jan 2, 2014.
--
minimum waste, maximum joy

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by jpaik:

Not from reading this article, i don't think so:

Wind's big backer says it's here to stay
»m.theglobeandmail.com/technology···e=mobile

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22

said by silvercat:

Not from reading this article, i don't think so:

Wind's big backer says it's here to stay
»m.theglobeandmail.com/technology···e=mobile

That article is four and a half months old...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Guspaz:

That article is four and a half months old...

Right, and the last time they were on record as saying they wanted out of the Canadian market was before the foreign ownership rules changed. The whole reason they wanted out was specifically because of that.

This kind of rampant speculation is typical any time there is any sort of structural or ownership change at a major company. Hell, people are now all going crazy thinking Rogers is going to take a move on Cogeco because they're buying up the former Mountain Cable areas of Shaw. People have been saying that Rogers is going to buy Cogeco for more than a decade now, and yet nothing has happened.

jpaik

join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON

Rogers is a Cogeco shareholder.

Intentions to buy a majority interest will never be revealed until after the markets close. Speculating is a waste of time.
--
minimum waste, maximum joy

funny

join:2010-12-22
reply to jpaik

said by jpaik:

AFAIK, the regs prevent Wind from being sold to an incumbent company until 2014. I predict that Wind's owners will petition cabinet to change those rules. If unsuccessful, one of the incumbents will buy Wind on Jan 2, 2014.

really the cost per gb and the cost they sell to you is so profitable no one in right mind once they get a foothold in canada is gonna leave.
cogeco is perfect example where did they sell...they sold hte homeland isp of course ten bought into more of northamerica with a presence now in the usa.

thats how profitable all internet is in canada and it snot helping anyone but a very very very small few while other areas of the world run right past us all.