dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to HiVolt

Re: Rogers Buying WIND Mobile?

said by HiVolt:

And of course this doesn't mean anything, as no Canadian provider covers the whole country.

»www.rogers.com/business/nb/en/sm···overage/

They cover probably 90% of the population with what they have... isn't 80% of the population that lives within 100 miles of the US border?

i didn't mean every square mile of territory...but to cover 90% of the population is still a lot of land area, for a measly 25 million people...in the US, you can blanket California, New York (state) or Texas with very decent coverage, for a fraction of the price, and have roughly the same or more customers...38 million people in California, 26 million in Texas and 19.5 million in New York state.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by HiVolt:

And of course this doesn't mean anything, as no Canadian provider covers the whole country.

»www.rogers.com/business/nb/en/sm···overage/

They cover probably 90% of the population with what they have... isn't 80% of the population that lives within 100 miles of the US border?

i didn't mean every square mile of territory...but to cover 90% of the population is still a lot of land area, for a measly 25 million people...in the US, you can blanket California, New York (state) or Texas with very decent coverage, for a fraction of the price, and have roughly the same or more customers...38 million people in California, 26 million in Texas and 19.5 million in New York state.

Look at all the empty territory in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta that IS covered. There are very few people actually living outside of Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg. Yet the network coverage in those provinces alone is extremely extensive with a lot of build cost and a long term ROI. That coverage is there because big corporate energy customers demand it, but seriously, some of the towers in the boonies may go DAYS before they're actually connected to a device.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
said by shaner:

Look at all the empty territory in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta that IS covered. There are very few people actually living outside of Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg. Yet the network coverage in those provinces alone is extremely extensive with a lot of build cost and a long term ROI. That coverage is there because big corporate energy customers demand it, but seriously, some of the towers in the boonies may go DAYS before they're actually connected to a device.

exactly my point...i mean, look how long it took for a tower to get installed in Grand Bend?...the reason it took so long was due to the seasonal demand for service there, and why for the first few years it was a mobile tower (COW), not permanent.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to shaner
said by shaner:

One of the advantages of the prairies is that they don't actually need a lot of towers to cover the whole map.

That said, I had major problems with reception on the Trans Canada through Manitoba and Saskatchewan with Rogers.
--
Tom