@comcast.net

[Speed] Comcast Ethernet Vs Business Class

Hi Pros,

Background:

Today we have a Comcast Business Class 50/10
Speed Test's (on avg over 10 test/10 days) = 32 dn / 7 up
Actual Onsite Speeds = 3.4mb dn / 1.2mb up

These speeds are not good and we wanted to know

Qn #1 - If we moved to Ethernet 10mb will we actually be able to get 10mb or will it be like all Cable class solutions?

Qn #2 - Who else has this Deluxe package and is not getting nearly the speed advertised?

(please note all tests were at various times of day or night; tests were performed with all devices on premises off and only the test machine online outside of a firewall)

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Comcast Ethernet ?

What are your signal levels ? As a business customer you should simply be able to call Comcast and get your speed issues resolved rather quickly, in theory.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

said by ExoticFish:

Comcast Ethernet ?

Yep...

»business.comcast.com/landingpage/metro

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

Isn't available in many places though... Right ?

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

said by ExoticFish:

Isn't available in many places though... Right ?

Correct...

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to zonebze

said by zonebze :

Qn #1 - If we moved to Ethernet 10mb will we actually be able to get 10mb or will it be like all Cable class solutions?

Give them a call but I'm pretty sure that's fiber based Metro E.

If it's fiber based Metro E, you will get your provisioned speeds.

zonebze

@comcast.net
reply to zonebze

Signal
here is our current....

note: we today have Business Class Cable - and want to know if this will be the SAME results when moving to Ethernet?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

Those look fine, but we need to see the upstream channel information as well.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

depster

join:2001-06-07
united state
reply to zonebze

Ethernet is a dedicated business class service. Bandwidth will be provisioned to your nearest POP. You will pay much more than what you are with the cable option.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to zonebze

Those speeds are similar to what I get on 27/7. For the brief time I had 50/10, I always got the full speed (actually, about 52/11).

You might want to double-check with Comcast that you're provisioned for the right tier.
--
KI6RIT

zonebze

@comcast.net
reply to pflog

opps not enough coffee yet, here is up stream

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

Signals aren't bad. You need to contact Comcast before considering switching, if that's even an option for you.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to zonebze

Agree with ExoticFish See Profile that the signals look fine.

Can you run shaperprobe and post the results here? n_w95482 See Profile may be onto something and perhaps you are on the 27/7 boot file and not the 50/10 boot file.
--

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by pflog:

n_w95482 See Profile may be onto something and perhaps you are on the 27/7 boot file and not the 50/10 boot file.

Either that, or a bean counter in the OP's company decided to save a few bucks by dropping down to the 27/7 tier, but didn't bother to tell the IT folks (or was afraid to tell them). And if that is the case, a switch to Metro Ethernet is not going to happen.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by NetFixer:

said by pflog:

n_w95482 See Profile may be onto something and perhaps you are on the 27/7 boot file and not the 50/10 boot file.

Either that, or a bean counter in the OP's company decided to save a few bucks by dropping down to the 27/7 tier, but didn't bother to tell the IT folks (or was afraid to tell them). And if that is the case, a switch to Metro Ethernet is not going to happen.

Yep, that's also quite possible

And yeah, if 50/10 was cost prohibitive for them, I would love to see the CFO's face when they ask for Metro ethernet!
--

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to zonebze

One of my clients is switching from a telepacific 3x3 bonded T1 to a 10/10 (might not be symmetrical) ethernet connection from comcast. I believe the current scheduled install date is in March.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5
reply to zonebze

Comcast's ethernet pricing is pretty standard unless construction costs are horrible. 20mbps/20mbps is typically $888 per month on a 5 year with comcast, but you can get that on a 3 year if the fiber construction isnt bad.

We have around 70 sites with metro ethernet, 12 of those with comcast, and 4 more in process with them. its a whole other class of service so you really cant compare it to cable modem "business class" from comcast.

cooldude9919

reply to zonebze

Heres 40mbps/40mbps outside Nashville (distance is way off obviously)

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by cooldude9919:

Sometimes the Comcast speedtest distance is more off than others.
Here are the results from my standard HFC 16/3 business class connection from M'boro:

Of course when you consider where the test designer thinks that Memphis is located, the strange distance estimates are somewhat understandable.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

cooldude9919

said by NetFixer:

said by cooldude9919:

[att=2]

Sometimes the Comcast speedtest distance is more off than others.
Here are the results from my standard HFC 16/3 business class connection from M'boro:

[att=3]

Of course when you consider where the test designer thinks that Memphis is located, the strange distance estimates are somewhat understandable.

[att=1]

Yea im really suprised the memphis thing hasnt been fixed yet.

Also obviously fiber has no speedboost, just sometimes a little overhead on the speed policy.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by cooldude9919:

Yea im really suprised the memphis thing hasnt been fixed yet.

Actually they almost had it right for a few days several months ago. They relabeled the balloon to say "Winchester, TN", which is pretty close to the icon's location on the map, but I really doubt that Comcast has a major data center in Winchester.
--

wTheOnew

join:2012-03-09
reply to depster

said by depster:

Ethernet is a dedicated business class service. Bandwidth will be provisioned to your nearest POP. You will pay much more than what you are with the cable option.

You will pay more seems like such an understatement. Expect at least an order of magnitude more. Got an estimate for 20/20 Metro E for work. Was... shocked..

said by cooldude9919:

Comcast's ethernet pricing is pretty standard unless construction costs are horrible. 20mbps/20mbps is typically $888 per month on a 5 year with comcast, but you can get that on a 3 year if the fiber construction isnt bad.

That's actually wandering back into the realm of reasonable. My quote was close to double that.

cooldude9919

said by wTheOnew:

said by depster:

You will pay more seems like such an understatement. Expect at least an order of magnitude more. Got an estimate for 20/20 Metro E for work. Was... shocked..

said by cooldude9919:

That's actually wandering back into the realm of reasonable. My quote was close to double that.

Ive gotten it for that in Nashville area, Atlanta area, and Denver area. You may have to make them sweat a bit and say you have a competitive offer, but as i said if you try a little they will waive all the constuction costs instead of rolling it into the contract. I got them to wave nearly 60k in costs for 4 sites. Its all about the IRR(payback) so if their payback is less than 12 months its an easy case for them. In my recent case their payback is esimated at closer to 16 months on only a 36 month term, given that they will still net nearly 70k. Factor in their construction estimates are usually high and worst case, its even better for them.

noisefloor

join:2010-05-09
reply to zonebze

Sounds like there is an issue with your own equipment. 90% of the time when signal levels are within spec and there aren't upstream SNR issues on the node this is the case.
Could be a faulty ethernet cable, your router might be junk, your PC might be the problem etc... Schedule a tech call and he will come with a laptop and plug into the modem and verify speeds.

zonebze

@comcast.net

so to answer a couple comments within the thread;

a) we contracted 50/10 so will speak with Comcast to resolve that piece - maybe get a kickback for the 4-5 months of wrong provisioning...

b) we have pricing on Ethernet 10/10 of 3 year / $967

c) Shaper Results

------------ start here -------------------

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.168.233.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7695 Kbps.
Downstream: 34554 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 7254 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19732-20012 KB;
Shaping rate: 28709 Kbps.

------------------ Shaper Results End -------------------

d) Max maintainable speed with Business Class - point to point?
has anyone tried to maintain a 10/20/30mb transfer between
to points for a long duration?

cooldude9919

2 edits

said by zonebze :

so to answer a couple comments within the thread;

a) we contracted 50/10 so will speak with Comcast to resolve that piece - maybe get a kickback for the 4-5 months of wrong provisioning...

b) we have pricing on Ethernet 10/10 of 3 year / $967

c) Shaper Results

------------ start here -------------------

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.168.233.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 7695 Kbps.
Downstream: 34554 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 7254 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19732-20012 KB;
Shaping rate: 28709 Kbps.

------------------ Shaper Results End -------------------

d) Max maintainable speed with Business Class - point to point?
has anyone tried to maintain a 10/20/30mb transfer between
to points for a long duration?

What city/state are you in?

If its a place where AT&t is the phone company, you can get ACC business (att subsidiary) where 10mbps is $899 and 20mbps is $998 on a 2 year term no install. You could use this as competitive leverage to try to get comcast down as i would prefer comcast over ATT myself. If not ATT you could get quotes from XO communications or someone else that does EOC and use it to drive them down.
The ethernet markets have become very competitive the last few years, and comcast knows it, they have tons of capital to spend and will do so to get the business if the metrics are right.

zonebze

@comcast.net

we have offices in

San Jose, CA
Reno, NV
Chicago, IL
Detroit, MI

The location we are having issues is San Jose, CA

cooldude9919

said by zonebze :

we have offices in

San Jose, CA
Reno, NV
Chicago, IL
Detroit, MI

The location we are having issues is San Jose, CA

Are you under contract for a bit on the cable modem side? If so that realistically limits you to comcast a bit, though dont tell them that. If you stay with comcast the ethernet should be considered an "upgrade" so that contract should be able to go away.

If you can swing metro-e price range and are serious about it, may be worth looking at all the options. The SLA, reliability, and speed consistancy always make ethernet and easy sell for me.

»www.zayo.com/interactive-network-map
Ive gotten zayo to quote 50mbps/50mbps for $1000 when the fiber is very close.

Get a quote from twtelecom, they may have metro fiber near you

Easy one, ATT is your LEC, so you can get acc business fiber. Tell comcast you want 20mbps for $888 on a 3 year since ATT can do 20mbps for $999 on only a 2 year.

zonebze

@comcast.net

Great tip on the Zayo network,

Our SJ office is on top of the Long Haul and Metro fiber...

Now the quote...