Mentor, OH
kudos:1

Thanks for the heads up.

Swindle
Shattered Dreams

join:2006-07-24
Tampa, FL
reply to darcilicious

I'll be flipping between Raw and The Following tonight.
--
B-Movie DVDs

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
reply to darcilicious

Well, right off the bat they lost me with the whole prison breakout thing - who do they think will believe that tripe?

Joey1973

@verizon.net
reply to darcilicious

I didn't watch all of it... did it ever veer off into anything "sci-fi-ish"?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

Nope, not sci-fi.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Red_Menace

said by Red_Menace:

Well, right off the bat they lost me with the whole prison breakout thing - who do they think will believe that tripe?

I thought that was a tad over the top as well. But then again, that is par for the course with the majority of shows on TV today.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to darcilicious

I liked it. Mainly because it's seems to be a "dark" show. Kinda like 24 was at times. Lots of death and twists.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

Its not Fringe,.....

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to darcilicious

Good to see Natalie Zea get work with her Winona character on Justified out of the picture.

As for the show, I'll give it a chance. Major suspension of disbelief required (e.g., a goddamn English professor knows jack about IP addresses), but that's a burden that many otherwise excellent shows place upon us.

Kevin Bacon is a plus.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to darcilicious

I Guess this is to replace bones?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to SixOfNine

said by SixOfNine:

a goddamn English professor knows jack about IP addresses

Did he get anything right? or way wrong?

I didn't see it figure I'll watch it like bones.
wait til near the end of season 8 then marathon the show.
--
»Death Star Petition

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
reply to Snakeoil

It was a bit more than a tad. I've worked in a few jails/prisons, and even with tools, keys, and access badges I couldn't pull off that kind of crap. Not to mention how incompetent the FBI and local police were (although they did start out pretty good) - I'm no law enforcement fanboy, but damn...

Of course, it looks like all that was to set up something like a cross between Alcatraz, Criminal Minds, and a couple of story arcs from Bones, but I didn't stick around to see what other series they tried to mix in there.

Joey1973

@verizon.net
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

I'll watch it like bones.
wait til near the end of season 8 then marathon the show.

You can probably do that now and just skip the last couple seasons. The only thing really good that Bones has done lately is "spin-off" The Finder ...and we know what happened to that.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

I meant I'll watch it like I watched bones.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to darcilicious

I guess what I intended to say with my “Its not Fringe” comment was that since its on Fox and Fringe has ended its run on Fox, its just no kind of replacement for Fringe.

I guess I have Fringe on the mind,…..

I'll give it a shot though,......

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

said by SixOfNine:

a goddamn English professor knows jack about IP addresses

Did he get anything right? or way wrong?

They didn't go into any of those details (unlike the whopper from the one-season-and-done The Event, where the hacker said that he "spoofed a PI" ).

I was half-jokingly referring to the bad guy's ability to work major Internet magic from a law library, including, and I forget the exact phrase that a cop used, something like "mutating IP addresses."
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

What if he did spoof a Private Eye's IP?

Joey1973

@verizon.net
reply to DarkLogix

So I gathered, except Bones isn't "near" the end of S8 yet (unless this is going to be a "short" season?). You're saying that you've already "marathon'd" it (all of 1-7, first part of 8)? 1-6 I could see being fun; after that, I dunno... it's gotten kinda "tired" (or maybe it's just me?).

I was "tired" of The Following before the end of the first half of the pilot. (What are they thinking here? "Everyone else is getting dark & twisted with their shows... Hey! let's do that, too!!!" [everybody nods with silly/stupid grins on their faces].)

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Ya while I was on vacation I watched all of bones from season 1 ep 1 to current.
--
»Death Star Petition

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

I Guess this is to replace bones?

It's actually replacing Mob Doctor.

All serial killers these days are geniuses who have a love of literature and also happen to be so good at hacking they might as well be part of ANONYMOUS.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

But Mob dr was replacing house.

so then if this is replacing Mob dr then what's replacing bones and fringe?
--
»Death Star Petition

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
San Benito, TX

As far as I know, Bones is coming back for at least one more year. This year was truncated because of Emily Deschanel's pregnancy.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Ah, I thought this was the last season.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to juilinsandar

said by juilinsandar:

This year was truncated because of ... pregnancy.

God! If only Caron had done that with season 4 of Moonlighting...
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Joey1973

said by Joey1973 :

So I gathered, except Bones isn't "near" the end of S8 yet (unless this is going to be a "short" season?). You're saying that you've already "marathon'd" it (all of 1-7, first part of 8)? 1-6 I could see being fun; after that, I dunno... it's gotten kinda "tired" (or maybe it's just me?).

I was "tired" of The Following before the end of the first half of the pilot. (What are they thinking here? "Everyone else is getting dark & twisted with their shows... Hey! let's do that, too!!!" [everybody nods with silly/stupid grins on their faces].)

I forgot where I read it, but one of the producers from a show that got canceled said that the viewer is jaded.
How many police procedure shows do we have?
How many shows do we have that involve solving crimes based on the autopsies table?
What can the sci-fi bring to the table that hasn't been done already?

Hence why networks take the easy way out and bring the viewer:
Singer competition shows.
Model competition shows.
Make up competition shows.
Cooking competition shows.
Business shows:
1]The apprentice
2]Shark Tank
3]Undercover boss
Wrestling
Sports [yawn, I hate sports]
Stuff where the network has very little cash put into it, hence if it bombs, it's low risk.

And why some "fringe" networks, have scripted shows that do well.
USA, AMC, TNT, FX, Sy-Fy.
Because they are willing to take risks that the major networks aren't, and are happy with an audience of 1 to 3 million viewers.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Ah, I thought this was the last season.

I can only hope that Bones is nearing the end. It isn't aging well.
I wish Fox had given the Finder a longer shot. I thought that show was ok. Sure it wasn't a "on your edge of the seat" type of show. But at least they seemed to mix things up on a weekly bases.
--

Joey1973

@verizon.net
reply to Snakeoil

Actually, I think it's the producers and network execs who are "jaded"; TV has simply become the "drug of choice" for too many viewers these days. But, you can't go wrong--in the view of the network execs--if you just copy what everyone else is doing (with few and minor changes). As I always say, the shows are nothing but filler for the time between commercials (time which keeps dwindling by the decade).

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Snakeoil

Sure, there are a lot of procedurals on tv, but what makes or brakes a series is the character development and relationships. These can draw a viewer in and can make one care about the characters and thus the show. I still enjoy, castle, ncis, and bones even though they're long in the tooth because of their interesting characters.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

At of the ones you mention:
NCIS both of them, and Castle, seem to be able to keep things more focused on the cases they are working, and show a little bit of the interpersonal relationships.

Bones on the other hand has gotten to the point where it's nearly 50/50. And the personal stuff isn't that interesting.
--