join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Re: Google Declares War on the Password

said by antdude:

»www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/20 ··· assword/

"... Want an easier way to log into your Gmail account? How about a quick tap on your computer with the ring on your finger?

This may be closer than you think. Google’s security team outlines this sort of ring-finger authentication in a new research paper, set to be published late this month in the engineering journal IEEE Security & Privacy Magazine. In it, Google Vice President of Security Eric Grosse and Engineer Mayank Upadhyay outline all sorts of ways they think people could wind up logging into websites in the future — and it’s about time..."

Interesting. I was watching once upon a time last night. They needed to access a cell phone, but didn't have a pass word. So they used the guy's key fob and put it near the phone to unlock it.

The only problem I have with such a method, is what happens if you leave it on the shelf by the sink, or it falls off the key ring, etc?

You'd think a thumb print, retina scan would be the way to go, as you can't leave them behind.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
said by Snakeoil:

You'd think a thumb print, retina scan would be the way to go, as you can't leave them behind.

Next to come in the world of malware, after keyloggers: fingerprint loggers and retina image loggers.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
Couldn't a fob device be copied as well?

There really is no such thing as secure when you are surfing the web/have your computer connected to a network.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Actually, you leave thumb prints behind you every time you touch anything with your thumb (and anyone with access to the "protected" device has access to your thumb print too). I recently demonstrated that principle to someone who was in love with the finger print scanner on their notebook.

I won't go into the gory details of how a retina scanner can be compromized.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Thumb prints can be copied.

As far as retina scans go, call me suspicious, but I'm not about to allow some Dell Lowest-Bidder Laser Eyeballomatic to point at mine.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Couldn't a fob device be copied as well?

Not if it's properly constructed to be tamper resistant.