spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

surf_safe

@comcast.net

Does Flash update now install GoogleChrome?

I tried to update my flash plugin for Opera and I noticed it tried to install Google Chrome along with the flash. I didn't see any option to omit the install of Google Chrome. Is this common now when updating flash? I tried to cancel the download/install but I think it did install, but I was able to delete from Programs & Features. Seems kinda of sneaky of them.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

2 recommendations

Foistware such as Google Chrome or Google Toolbar or Ask Toolbar has been asking to hitch a ride with software updates for several years. I suppose it helps pay the bills for free software, but it is definitely dodgy.

You can get a foistware-free Flash update at:

»www.adobe.com/products/flashplay···on3.html

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to surf_safe

said by surf_safe :

I tried to update my flash plugin for Opera and I noticed it tried to install Google Chrome along with the flash. I didn't see any option to omit the install of Google Chrome. Is this common now when updating flash? I tried to cancel the download/install but I think it did install, but I was able to delete from Programs & Features. Seems kinda of sneaky of them.

Adobe has been bundling other software with their flash player for some time now. Exactly what software is bundled (and whether or not you can "opt out") depends on the financial incentive offered to Adobe by the other party. Here is a screen shot showing the bundled package du jour (this bundled add-on apparently can be disabled):

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

surf_safe

@comcast.net
reply to surf_safe

Nevermind, I missed the install check box for GoogleChrome at the download page. I just quickly clicked download without looking first. My bad.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to surf_safe

The auto-updater doesn't do this.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26