All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
xech
join:2012-11-22

xech to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB

Re: Google has to work with verizon

no i don't have fios I just wanted to express my opinion about the current events. I know that 1gbps can be used right now by everyone on fios, a verizon employee told me that their network can switch to 1gbps whenever they want, they don't have to upgrade anything, But they just don't want to right now, I never know why. I know verizon doesn't have as much money as google does but it can do the job, you can still get 1gbps using private isps but its crazy expensive like at least $600 for the service to households.
faze
join:2011-01-10
Reisterstown, MD

faze

1gig internet is kind of useless anyway, 99% of what you're getting data from on the internet is on a DS3 or lower.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to xech

MVM

to xech
said by xech:

I know that 1gbps can be used right now by everyone on fios, a verizon employee told me that their network can switch to 1gbps whenever they want, they don't have to upgrade anything

Not true. My BPON ONT has a 10/100 ethernet connection. No matter what can be pumped on the fiber, the max I can get out is 100 mbps, and don't forget that includes up and down.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to xech

MVM

to xech
said by xech:

no i don't have fios I just wanted to express my opinion about the current events. I know that 1gbps can be used right now by everyone on fios, a verizon employee told me that their network can switch to 1gbps whenever they want, they don't have to upgrade anything, But they just don't want to right now, I never know why. I know verizon doesn't have as much money as google does but it can do the job, you can still get 1gbps using private isps but its crazy expensive like at least $600 for the service to households.

Not at all true on FiOS - that Verizon employee obviously isn't in the know...

brooklynman4
join:2004-09-07
Brewster, NY

brooklynman4

google has only one city wired its to early .
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Never gonna happen, Verizon would need massive upgrades to their backbone to support FiOS at 1Gbps. The new quantum speeds are already straining the network if you look at the threads on here.

Also Google and Verizon are now competitors so I doubt it will ever happen (Although Verizon did get in bed with the Cable Co's to avoid competition to buy more wireless spectrum since the cable co's got to it first when it was on auction after all the analog TV stations got turned off by the FCC, so nothing is impossible.)

It's funny how big businesses agree to not upgrade or build out to new people to force them onto another crappier monopoly. This type of business is akin to the turn of the century monopolies like Standard Oil, the original JP Morgan, and US Steel. It took a Teddy Roosevelt to dismantle all those monopolies and restore order to business America and here we are today in the same position. We have just dug ourselves a deeper hole to get out of this time by letting all these mergers and non-compete deals to happen since the major corporations have pretty much bought out the federal government.

I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon starts chopping up and selling their FiOS network off like they did with copper in a few years from now since they are geared into wireless as their main business now.
VirtualLarry
Premium Member
join:2003-08-01

VirtualLarry

Premium Member

said by McBane:

I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon starts chopping up and selling their FiOS network off like they did with copper in a few years from now since they are geared into wireless as their main business now.

I hope that doesn't happen. VZ's customer reps may not all be the best and brightest, but their network engineers are decent.