spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

liquoranne

join:2009-01-14

Lucky me with old tier Raids

So i have been back trying out the new expansion for a few weeks now. Trying out casual play due to all the travel commitments i have with work. So far no complains with the expansion. Plenty of dailies to dull the mind as i relax in my hotel.

This past weekend was pretty awesome tho. Took my bear into TK for the first time and got Alar to drop. Not sure how many times ive been thru that place. Guildies were pissed when i got the TK acheive and alar acheive back to back. Also got my staff to drop in black temple. I like what blizzard did with removing the raid requirements to enter the old tier raids. Fun going back in to these old places. Have cleared TK, BT, SSC and gruuls so far. Gonna try Sunwell tonight then start hitting up some wotlk raids. Not sure how far one can progress there solo tho.

Anyone else tryin to solo these old places?

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
Absolutely. Having a blast solo'ing some of the old content... but even better over this last weekend was taking my hunter (L90 BM hunter, ilvl 469) through some old Wrath raids with my wife's toon (L85 arcane mage) and my wife's sister's toon (L85 balance/resto druid). These two aren't big into dungeons/raids... so anything I can do to get them more comfortable in that kind of environment is a big plus. Being in a casual/family guild is nice, but eventually I WOULD like to raid with this guild. LFR is alright for gearing up, but after the first couple of times through a particular instance, I wouldn't really call it "fun" anymore.
EDIT - and, congrats on the Ashes of A'lar.

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
Have you guys been having a problem soloing SSC? When i get to Lady Vashj, none of the tainted cores ever drop to disarm the shield?
--
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by Josof:

Have you guys been having a problem soloing SSC? When i get to Lady Vashj, none of the tainted cores ever drop to disarm the shield?

None of that none-sense liquoranne is trying to brag about getting Ashes of Alar.

liquoranne

lol having farmed ZG countless times and doing TK a number of times during BC, having the ashes drop on my first time thru with my bear was just...well...who wouldnt brag? lol

But i am curious on how people are doing old raids solo. I did Ony last night with my bear and holy crap was that annoying...Getting her to land was a pita. Good thing i had the Heart talen that increased my dmg spells and made em cost no mana or i wouldnt have ever gotten her to land. Still took forever. I went thru 2 of those CD's which are 6 mins apart, so the one fight easy took 20 minutes. My fingers were getting sore.

liquoranne

reply to Josof
said by Josof:

I dont remember having an issue here. Being you can move with the cores now since they patched it, that was the biggest issue if solo'n was your thing.

There are some good video's available if your stuck and need to see. I just went in without much of a strategy and bull rushed most fight.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to liquoranne
For Sunwell, Kalecgos is still impossible to solo as far as I've noticed, but you can skip him.

Oh, and my own luck with running through an old raid - Did BT the other day. OG Warglaive and the Bulwark of Azzinoth. Too bad I was on my monk. My warrior/paladin would have loved the shield.

liquoranne

so solo'n chess event in kara can be pretty frustrating...took me like 10 tries....kinda luck of the draw...even tho i found a pretty good strat.

stonhinge
Premium
Topeka, KS
yeah, chess largely depends on where the fire gets dropped when he cheats.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

liquoranne

ya if it drops on your queen and king...its over....what i did was move my castles to the center of the board first then get my king close so he can start cleaving....the AOE of the castles and the cleave of the king is just too much. Then i hop on the queen and cast at the enemy king/bishop...whichever is lower in hp. Worked like a charm.

So far that and Ony has been the hardest fights to solo...mainly Ony cause im a bear. Didnt have time last night to jump into Sunwell. Hope to complete my tier4 set tonight, as that is my favorite druid set.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
I ran BT, Sunwell and Syjal on my warrior and I got, almost full t6 only missing chest and helm, bulwark, cotton candy mace and sick shoulders.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to liquoranne
I've been trying TK on my Rogue. The first couple of times, I couldn't manage to kill Kael'Thas. Since I can't equip the staff, I would get essentially permanently CC'd in Phase 3 until I died, doing almost no damage. After a little reading and some experimenting, I figured out how to successfully separate the Advisors enough to kill the problem ones one at a time before the others showed up. After that, Kael'thas was easy, but didn't drop the mount. I'll be trying that again.

I'm also trying to solo Obsidian Sanctum 10 man with all 3 drakes up, but haven't managed that so far. My best attempt was getting Sartharion to 9%.

Aside from those, I've been doing Heroic Sethekk Halls and Magister's Terrace for the mounts almost every day as well, but no luck on either yet.

I've also done AQ20 and 40, Karazhan and Molten Core, but haven't really gotten around to trying any of the others.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

liquoranne

reply to Jobbie
Ya im looking forward to going back to Hyjal, that place was pretty cool. Also, i never really appreciated the size of Kara until last night. I do not remember it being so vast. This weeks goal is to solo ulduar, hyjal and start ICC. Only thing i believe i need help on is lootship cause i believe its not soloable. Also never thought about doing OS+3, might be fun giving that one a go as well, even tho i already have the drop.

Curious too see how far i can progress solo as with the changes to guardian druid abilities in this change, i can heal myself fairly well with a crit build. Too bad tho that transmog is basically worthless with a guardian as 98% of the time im in ss...)= oh well.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
I went with Lothario's hunter to make it a lot easie, and he got his tier set and the sick bow transmog from Hyjal, we both were pulling 90k+ dps on bosses so they were melting really fast each one has around 8 mil health.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Lothario

join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON
I need to do bwl to tame chromaggus. Has anyone soloed razor gore?

stonhinge
Premium
Topeka, KS
Blizzard says it's possible, they did add a spell to Razorgore while controlled that lets you sleep one dragonkin.

Which still makes it really hard to solo. But it's within the realm of possibility.

I'd suggest finding someone who doesn't need/want the same things you do and taking two in there. Gets much easier then, as one person can handle adds and the other can handle Razorgore.
--

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to Zupe
said by Zupe:

I'm also trying to solo Obsidian Sanctum 10 man with all 3 drakes up, but haven't managed that so far. My best attempt was getting Sartharion to 9%.

Definitely doable. I did on my 'lock. (took about 8 attempts though) And I don't use potions or any other fancy tricks other than the normal spells.

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to liquoranne
Just solo'ed Tempest Keep... a couple of the encounters were moderately challenging, but pretty easy overall. Got one of the hunter armor tokens to drop (shoulders from Riftstalker set), but wasn't lucky enough to get the mount to drop. Quite a fun instance; enjoyed heading back to Outland for the first time in a few months.

Pryck

join:2012-02-03
Fredericksburg, VA
reply to liquoranne
I am able to one shot the Razorgore event just about every time unless it's something I screw up. On my rogue all I do is kill the first 3 adds near the orb and quickly gain control of him. I start destroying the eggs whatever is nearest to me at that point and work my way to the opposite wall from my character and usually have that half of the room cleared by the time the first channel ends. When I know the channel is ending I run Razorgore to the farthest point opposite myself again so when I regain control of my toon I aoe a few times and gain control of Razorgore again. I have plenty of health left on him by the time the last egg is cleared. I have done this every week for a few months and never had to attempt it more than twice (usually like I said because of my own mistake). The rest of the instance is a breeze.

Other older raids successfully solo'ed on my rogue have been SSC, TK, Gruuls and Mag's Lair, Kara up to chess (I get frustrated and stop). Started working on Ulduar and ICC last week. I get stuck in ICC on boss after the gunship and have not been successful on him. Also in Sunwell have not been able to down Brutallus even with keeping recouperation up fulltime and rotating cooldowns I still run out of health before he even gets below 30%. I have checked different places online and they say it's near impossible on a class without some sort of pet; not sure on that I just haven't been close to downing him myself.

liquoranne

I know brut is doable as a guardian druid. Self heals plus tanky plus good damage.

As for chess, i found a great strategy to solo it. Start by picking king casting bloodlust then cleave. Then move the pawns diagonally from the rooks. Move one rook out one space diagonally and cast his aoe. Move the pawn in front of the king on space. By this time you should get the Cheat from the enemy so be prepared to move your king. (bishops uncontrolled will automatically heal your king so some damage is acceptable). The only problem is if your king and queen are over fire...this is pretty much a wipe. Once your king is safe move both rooks diagonally to the center area and have them AOE. Move your king forward and start cleaving. Take control of your queen when able and cast on their king as the DoT the queen does and fireballs are a significant source of damage. Try to stay in the king the majority of the time as he does the most damage. Doing it this way will greatly enhance your chances to win as the rooks+king AOE is ridic and the queens single target is awesome. Again, uncontrolled bishops auto heal the king and king only i beleive.

Pryck

join:2012-02-03
Fredericksburg, VA
reply to liquoranne
Thanks for the tips on chess I will give that a shot. I spent hours one evening trying different ways and was unsuccessful and just gave up entirely. Your method sounds pretty straight forward; I will give it another go around this weekend and hopefully I will be victorious!

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
It must be our lucky week on DSLR, as I went through TK for the first time since BC on my warrior solo on Saturday and had the Ashes of Al'ar.

As for Brutallus, I also cannot do it solo, as Arms at least. The stacking debuff he puts on you is brutal (pun somewhat intended).

liquoranne

Congrats man. Yea getting that drop was deff. a nice moment. Not sure how many clears i did during BC, but i was deffinately stoked.

As far as Brut is concerned, i guess having a strong self heal is really important for him. Again, i didnt have much of an issue with him due to our self healing. Do prot wars have much self heals? OR any other war spec? Not too familiar with war's as i havent touched mine since WotLK

stonhinge
Premium
Topeka, KS
reply to liquoranne
ooooh, found some tips for monks soloing Razorgore. Use zen sphere, and when the adds spawn, bring razorgore close, then get 2 chi, pop zen sphere and go back to MC. the healing aggro should pull all the adds off Razorgore. repeat as needed. Mistweaver gets it a bit easier, Renewing mists on Razorgore should take care of things.

Man, that just got easier.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
reply to liquoranne
said by liquoranne:

Congrats man. Yea getting that drop was deff. a nice moment. Not sure how many clears i did during BC, but i was deffinately stoked.

As far as Brut is concerned, i guess having a strong self heal is really important for him. Again, i didnt have much of an issue with him due to our self healing. Do prot wars have much self heals? OR any other war spec? Not too familiar with war's as i havent touched mine since WotLK

Thanks. I was definitely stoked, too.

As for self heals, warriors can get Second Wind (most do for PvP and soloing old content) which, while beloew 35% total hp, allows you to regen 3% (2% next patch) total hp per second. However, prot warriors have several ways to mitigate damage/block the debuff, which is the real key to soloing Brutallus, for warriors at least. My problem being that I have no prot gear.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
I LoL'd at brut when I went in as prot. He did a total of about 30k damage to me. I even changed impending victory to second wind just in case. One shot Macro + max Vengenance = 500K + shield slam crits. God I love prot.

stonhinge
Premium
Topeka, KS
reply to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

My problem being that I have no prot gear.

To be honest, you probably don't need a whole lot of prot gear unless you start going after the 80 and up stuff. Level difference is enough to give you avoidance vs trash, and boss mobs aren't going to be that tough. Pick up one of the MoP crafted shields and any str 1H and you should be fine in DPS gear with a prot spec.
--