uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to seadan

Re: Netflix HD Streaming w/Blast tier

Be aware that Netflix is pushing their own OpenConnect CDN for streaming the data to you. With that, you can get higher bitrate HD and 3D. Comcast does NOT currently peer with OpenConnect, so you can only get basic HD. Further, during primetime, it's overloaded. I tried watching last night and gave up as I could see it streaming continuously (hardwired Ethernet with a nearby swithc) instead of the data/pause/data/pause activity. It also kept dropping to Medium/HD instead of the normal High/HD. Speed tests were fine.

seadan

join:2004-07-11
Seattle, WA
Yup, Roku is up to date with the latest SW available for that version.

The issues seem to be more during primetime -- weekend evenings -- but I haven't done extensive testing at other times to see how it responds. It does seem like Comcast is overloaded...so who can we talk to about getting that addressed, or re-routed over a faster link?

johnnn

join:2007-01-25
Ypsilanti, MI
I have been on Blast with near-perfect RF conditions over the past year or so. Comcast runs congested peering/transit links regularly and does nothing to address that congestion. I have settled for a permanently lower monthly bill rather than switch to AT&T...for now. Good luck =/

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to seadan
What DNS servers are you using just out of curiosity ?
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to seadan
I generally have no issues if I do it earlier in the day, like a weekend morning or afternoon. It's just the peering or CDN is overloaded, or Netflix is deliberately throttling at peak times to try and push their OpenConnect CDN.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
said by andyross:

I generally have no issues if I do it earlier in the day, like a weekend morning or afternoon. It's just the peering or CDN is overloaded, or Netflix is deliberately throttling at peak times to try and push their OpenConnect CDN.

Purposely throttling would really come back to bite them in the ass. I don't believe they're doing that.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates