Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

St0ney

join:2001-02-25
uranus

1 edit

DVD player that plays everything

I am looking to buy a DVD player that plays all regions and all types of CD/DVD media and format.

i play a lot of burned dvd-r and cd-r (VCD)

What do you recommend?

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

1 recommendation

I haven't kept up in awhile. The king used to be the Oppo units. Aside from that you are likely looking at a Philips model.
--
Google is your Friend

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to St0ney

Oppo still makes the best players imo, look for the current Blue-Ray version (OPPO BDP-103). It's pricey, but there is precious little that it won't play.

St0ney

uranus

forgot to mention that im only wanting to spend ~$50. so i guess that Oppo is out of question.

and dont need bluray. just dvd player.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

I don't know of any under $100 that are region free frankly, much less under $50.

St0ney

uranus

»www.amazon.com/Philips-Region-10···d+player

would this be what im lookin for?

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

Would be close enough, but as far as to what it plays in terms of media don't expect it to play things like .mkv and .divx, or all of them flawlessly at least.

St0ney

uranus

»www.amazon.com/Sony-Ultra-Compac···d+player

would this be any better? im not sure which one to get. Want the one that can play back most formats and media discs

Dogg
Premium
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to St0ney

I would go Philips over Sony. Sony players are notorious for being very picky about the types of media that are supported. I should also note that ALL players in that price range will be very limited in their file support (both file type and encoding settings). Check the players specs and file support information very carefully.

For budget players such as this, you would typically look for a DivX certified unit for best playability. That will give you support for most avi/divx and mpg files. Note I said most, as these type players typically choke on HD type files and don't support the newer formats such as mkv or mp4.

Personally, you won't find much in your budget. For best support of "all" file types, you would be best served with a dedicated media player, such as the WD models. At which point most any region free player can handle your DVD playback needs.
--
Google is your Friend

St0ney

uranus

what is the "WD models"?

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

Dogg is referring to Western Digital streaming players. You will be able to play most DVD's with the Phillips, but it will not play absolutely everything (only thing that will is a PC).

Dogg
Premium
Belleville, IL
reply to St0ney

Sorry. Yes, the WD Live models: »www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330
--
Google is your Friend

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA
reply to St0ney

I have two Toshibas (don't have the model # at the moment) but they are older ones (5yrs or so) and they play pretty much everything. There is a button combo to make it region free (no it's not up,up,down,down,left,right,left,right,B,A,Select)

I mainly use my HTPC these days though.

St0ney

uranus

WDC looks intersting, but it doesnt have optical disk drives?

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

No, and you need an external hard drive or network storage to do anything other than stream media from the internet.

Joey1973

@verizon.net
reply to St0ney

I got a Pioneer quite a few years back from here:
»www.barrel-of-monkeys.com/
Region-free was a major focus of what they sold at the time, and they still sell region-free players. I've had no problems with the player nor did I have any with the company (but, as I said, it's been quite a few years). (The DV-578A cost about $125 at the time. It's an old model, of course, so no longer available. Pioneer actually made good stuff back then--don't know about now.)

Dogg
Premium
Belleville, IL
reply to St0ney

No it does not. You would use the WD with an external HDD (or I believe you can now stream from a PC/server) for your media playback AND a standalone region free DVD player for your DVD collection.
--
Google is your Friend