uniqs
poolShark
join:2002-11-21
Marshall, IL

poolShark

[Cable HSI] Free Modem Upgrade

Click for full size
Free upgrade email
I am still renting my modem from Mediacom and I recently received an email about a free modem upgrade, because my current modem is old and outdated. My modem is an old DOCSIS 2 - Ambit U10C018.

Has anyone else that is still renting the modem received this email? I'm surprised that Mediacom is actually going around and trying to upgrade rented modems, especially after seeing posts on here about users getting the faster tiers that require the newer D3 modems and yet are given the runaround about not needing them.

This kinda makes me wonder if it is a sneaky way to get me off my grandfathered 12Mb no caps plan onto the newer capped plans. Sure, the email says free and no cost upgrade and since I'm already paying the rental fee anyway, then it seems like there would be no change whatsoever except for getting a new shinny modem. However, it seems like most companies have an ulterior motive and don't do things like this just for the heck of it.

After all, it's not like my service tier requires the more capable D3 modem, although from what I have read on here it would most likely help out by giving me faster downloads anyway. My current modem is working perfectly and I am not having any problems at the moment.

MediacomChad, do you have any info about this free modem upgrade offer?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Nothing more than you have there. Have you called in on it?
poolShark
Marshall, IL

poolShark

No, I haven't called in yet. Past experience has taught me to not trust what the CSRs say. So, I thought you, as a more reliable and trustworthy source, might have some inside info.

I'm always skeptical about accepting any "goodwill" offers from companies these days, because it seems like there is always some kind of fine print that a person misses.

Even though a modem upgrade shouldn't change my grandfathered tier and result in me having caps, there may be some fine print with this offer somewhere that says something to that affect.

If I decide I want a new shinny modem, then I may just go buy my own anyway. That way I can get rid of the rental fee. I assume Marshall, IL has DOCSIS 3 capability, correct?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

DOCSIS 3.0 is currently available in Marshall.
alarson83
join:2007-01-06
West Des Moines, IA

alarson83 to poolShark

to poolShark
Your best bet? Buy yourself a new docsis3 modem off of amazon (ive been satisfied with my motorola sb6120) and save yourself the modem rental costs.

bulletsam
join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL

bulletsam

I second this suggestion. I too bought my SB6120 from Amazon, its been flawless for about a year now.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to poolShark

Premium Member

to poolShark
That ambit modem is no longer on the approved modem list. You're one lucky guy! I'm surprised you have any service.
poolShark
Marshall, IL

poolShark

Is the Ambit no longer on the approved list, because it isn't DOCSIS 3? Perhaps that is why Mediacom sent that email, because they no longer approve of their own equipment that they once did.

Cbltech1
@mchsi.com

Cbltech1

Anon

That's exactly what it is. Ambits have been mothballed for several years.