34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned) to silbaco

to silbaco

Re: Pond scum subspecies

said by silbaco:

They receive better rates because they are Google. Munis and cooperatives struggle greatly under the cost of upstream bandwidth. Sure buying more makes bandwidth less expensive, but in order to buy more you have to spend more. That isn't an option for a small company. Only large corporations or those fortunate enough to be in an area where upstream bandwidth is cheaper.

If my ISP tried to offer 1Gbps for $70 per month, they would lose money on the cost of bandwidth alone.

Your comment was commenting on cheaper bandwidth only. Google is offering the service cheaper because it is subsidized by ads! One has nothing to do with the other and they're two completely different issues.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

if you think every other ISP in the world isnt selling user data your dead wrong
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
You misinterpreted my comment. I was talking about upstream bandwidth the entire time.
silbaco

silbaco to elios

Premium Member

to elios
My ISP isn't. I would know about it if they did.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

thats nice bet your ass AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, and the other big ones are
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Highly possible.

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

1 edit

PaulHikeS2 to elios

to elios
Post withdrawn
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elios

to elios
said by elios:

if you think every other ISP in the world isnt selling user data your dead wrong

Doesn't change what I said. The connection is subsidized. That isn't the case for other ISPs and even if the other ISPs are selling your data they're not going to pass any savings on to you the customer as a result of doing so.

34764170 (banned) to silbaco

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

You misinterpreted my comment. I was talking about upstream bandwidth the entire time.

No, I did not.