uniqs
share rss forum feed

seadan1

join:2004-07-11
Seattle, WA
reply to plencnerb

Re: Netflix HD Streaming w/Blast tier

My DNS are set via DHCP, currently to:

I am familiar with that Netflix setting -- currently it is at BEST QUALITY -- I figure that if I have 35Mbps service I should take advantage of it and get the best quality I can! I'll do some additional testing, but does setting it to Good quality mean you can never stream HD?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

I really have no idea on that. What I do know is that in the specific case of my girlfriends laptop, I made no changes to her system (drivers, software, additional programs, etc), and she was having the problem I described on only her laptop. All other systems in her house worked fine.

I changed that setting only, and her laptop has been fine ever since.

I guess all I can say is try it at one of the lower settings, and see what happens. If it does not work you can always change it back.

Which, btw, I did in her case. Once I put it lower, and things worked, I switched it back to "Best", and then things failed again, with the same movie. Putting it back to "Good" and things worked. It was like turning on and off a switch.

It also did not matter if I ran the movie from netflix inside of Media Center, Firefox, or IE. All three had the same problem, and all three were fixed just by changing that setting.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to seadan1

I believe lowering the setting restricts what quality level is streamed, no matter your speed.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

said by ExoticFish:

I believe lowering the setting restricts what quality level is streamed, no matter your speed.

it does, the limiter is there as to help people with low caps not go over.

Basically on the lowest setting even if you had Google Fiber you would only get that quality.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

The quality settings are more important for connections that are low in subscribed bandwidth & may suffer buffering.