spc
uniqs
KC108
join:2012-06-20
Markham, ON

KC108 to hybrid_r

to hybrid_r

Re: [Cable] Peak hours SUPER slow!

I posted in the Teksavvy Direct Forum and this is the reply I got after troubleshooting.

"Hi,
I have just now received an update on your Slow Speeds ticket. Unfortunately, Rogers was unable to find anything on their network that would cause these issues. Power levels are completely within specifications, which would mean that the issue isn't signal related.
Now, looking at the POI you are connected to, it appears the issue could be caused by nightly congestion, especially if the slow downs only occur in the evening.
As for the possible congestion issue, TekSavvy has already taken the initiative to order a capacity upgrade for this POI. Rogers has not yet provided us with an ETA at this time as to when the Link upgrade will be installed."

Basically, I'm SOL until Rogers get their crap together. I should minimally be getting the speeds that I am paying for. Maybe it's time to look for another internet provider?
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

said by KC108:

I posted in the Teksavvy Direct Forum and this is the reply I got after troubleshooting.

"Hi,
I have just now received an update on your Slow Speeds ticket. Unfortunately, Rogers was unable to find anything on their network that would cause these issues. Power levels are completely within specifications, which would mean that the issue isn't signal related.
Now, looking at the POI you are connected to, it appears the issue could be caused by nightly congestion, especially if the slow downs only occur in the evening.
As for the possible congestion issue, TekSavvy has already taken the initiative to order a capacity upgrade for this POI. Rogers has not yet provided us with an ETA at this time as to when the Link upgrade will be installed."

Basically, I'm SOL until Rogers get their crap together. I should minimally be getting the speeds that I am paying for. Maybe it's time to look for another internet provider?

Possibly, but before you go there let's see if we can get Gabe or someone with higher-level knowledge of the network to let us know if your POI is actually congested. If so, changing providers would help, but if not the problem is likely at the node level and changing providers won't make any difference as long as you stay on cable.
KC108
join:2012-06-20
Markham, ON

KC108

said by The Mongoose:

said by KC108:

"Hi,

Possibly, but before you go there let's see if we can get Gabe or someone with higher-level knowledge of the network to let us know if your POI is actually congested. If so, changing providers would help, but if not the problem is likely at the node level and changing providers won't make any difference as long as you stay on cable.

Sorry for my ignorance, but who is Gabe? I like TekSavvy, but these slowdowns everyday are really hindering my work flow.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to KC108

Premium Member

to KC108
said by KC108:

"Hi,

Congestion @ the POI does NOT necessarily equate to TSI not having enough capacity from the POI.

If nothing else has happened at that POI other than Rogers giving their customers a speed bump, then the obvious culprit is Rogers lack of investment in capacity @ the POI - either a bigger/faster CMTS or backhaul for their own use.