Search similar:

uniqs
alfnoid
MVM
join:2002-02-18

alfnoid

MVM

Electric service drop touching porch

Looking at buying a house and the electric drop is touching the "roof" (just 2x6's or similar running overhead) of the porch outside before reaching the demarc on the side of the house.
I don't feel that is ok, but would like to get the opinions of some others.
This is in Indiana BTW.

So is this something the seller should have to deal with? (my opinion)
Or would it be up to me after buying?

thanks

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Yup that is a problem.

Here is a discussion about service entrance.
»www.mikeholt.com/mojonew ··· 0219.htm

There is probably also requirements from the local utility that may be stricter. Here is what our utility requires:
»www.psnh.com/Contruction ··· ons.aspx

/tom

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to alfnoid

MVM

to alfnoid
Can you post a pic?
machsix
join:2006-02-08
Crownsville, MD

machsix to tschmidt

to tschmidt
If you are looking to buy. Look into a qualified electrical inspector or a local electrician.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to alfnoid

Mod

to alfnoid
said by alfnoid:

So is this something the seller should have to deal with? (my opinion)
Or would it be up to me after buying?

Could go either way, depending on the state you live in and whether it's city or country. You haven't given us much information. Pics would also be nice.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to alfnoid

Premium Member

to alfnoid
Call the POCO to inspect/remedy before you buy.

My house has the drop rubbing the edge of the roof 16' up from the ground due to the design of the house and where the utility company made the connection to the distribution wires at the street to avoid a tree. They installed a heavy plastic sleeve over the wires to protect them from abrasion where they touch the roof edge.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to alfnoid

Premium Member

to alfnoid
YMWV depending on the power company. For instance, when I lived in S. Florida, the neoighbors service drop was running under and rubbing his gutter. Several calls to FPL yielded no results even after serveral supervisors sow it, said it could be a life safety issue if it rubbed through and said it would get fixed immediately.

After several rounds with no resolution, I followed up with letters and picture to both FPL and the State. As far as I know, it is still there running the gutter and one day will short out and cause the homeowner a bad day.

And yes, he was aware and very appreciative that I was helping him try and get it corrected.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

garys_2k

Premium Member

Wow! I guess the next step would be to a local TV station's "Problem Solver" team where, hopefully, the bad press may help spur some action from the utility.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

1 recommendation

cybersaga to alfnoid

to alfnoid
Even if you find out that they don't legally have to fix it, you can put in your purchase conditions that it must be fixed before the closing date.

You can put just about anything in the conditions of sale - as long as they agree to it, they have to do it.
iLearn
join:2013-01-16
canada

iLearn to alfnoid

to alfnoid
If you are talking about the main service entrance wires touching your roof then, as far I know - they need to be at least 3 feet away from pitched roofs. But I cant be sure, unless you can post a pic please.
Expand your moderator at work

Jack Legg
@comcast.net

Jack Legg to alfnoid

Anon

to alfnoid

Re: Electric service drop touching porch

This is a question for your attorney.
You're not buying a house without being represented by an attorney, are you?

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to MaynardKrebs

MVM

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Call the POCO to inspect/remedy before you buy.

I would recommend this one as your first action. In many places the POCO will conduct safety inspections free of charge. Whether or not that service drop is the homeowners responsibility or not varies (something to ask while you schedule the inspection) but if you are lucky the POCO will fix it at their own expense (eliminating the debate with the seller about who is going to pay for the fix).
alfnoid
MVM
join:2002-02-18

alfnoid

MVM

I don't have a picture that shows it unfortunately.
I wouldn't be able to get one until day of inspection.

I'll just ask them to fix it before closing by putting it in the contract.

I don't want to call the utility out when I don't own it yet.

tryem
@tmodns.net

tryem to alfnoid

Anon

to alfnoid
Generally the drops for anything are taken csre of by the respective companies. Elec. Phone cable. but they will want the fix request to come from the owner.

You might suggest to the current owner ti havr it fixed fir their own safety etc
iLearn
join:2013-01-16
canada

iLearn to alfnoid

to alfnoid
Your home inspector should know this.