spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Synbios
join:2002-05-18
Arlington, VA

Synbios

FiOS too expensive?

I have been looking at internet only plans for FiOS in Arlington, VA (22209). I live in an apartment building that has the ONT in the basement and VDSL from there. These are the current plans available (not counting promotions, these are the actual monthly prices)

3/1 $65
10/2 $75
20/5 $85
30/5 $95

Who in their right mind would pay $65 for 3/1 service? That's reminiscent of Cable/DSL from 2000. If these speeds are so bad why are they so expensive? I know people with FiOS in other ares and are paying a fraction of these prices for more than twice the speed in most cases. These speeds and prices are embarrassing.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Well if you have a better option, than purchase it.
ScrawnyB
join:2004-05-18
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB to Synbios

to Synbios
It probably has to do with the fact you're on VDSL.

FiOS pricing isn't the greatest to begin with unless you're bundled.

In this case, 50/25 and 210 channels is roughly 84.99 to 89.99/month.

However, if you want internet only (in my area):
3/1 = $60
15/5 = $70
50/25 = $80
150/65 = $100
300/65 = $210
Synbios
Arlington, VA

Synbios to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Well if you have a better option, than purchase it.

I do have a better option. I will be getting Comcast with a 50/10 line for $73 a month. I was just wondering why FiOS has such terrible pricing. They're not going to get my business with speeds and prices like that.

Thanks for your input ScrawnyB. If they had plans like that in my area I would have gladly paid an extra $7 bucks a month for 50/25 line over the 50/10 line from Comcast.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to Synbios

MVM

to Synbios
said by Synbios:

Who in their right mind would pay $65 for 3/1 service?

No one. Well, maybe a couple of folks out of millions who have no idea what they're doing. And VZ would love to take their money.

Pricing structure is designed to push bundles. Best pricing is with triple play, while double play saves you a little bit monthly.

Internet-only or TV-only is only slightly less than a double play which is marginally less than a triple.

I'd love to see the breakdown of subscribers and plans. But I'd say most folks are in a triple play of some sort.
pittpete1
join:2009-06-12

pittpete1 to Synbios

to Synbios
I do have a better option. I will be getting Comcast with a 50/10 line for $73 a month--------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that including the modem lease?
Synbios
Arlington, VA

Synbios

said by pittpete1:

I do have a better option. I will be getting Comcast with a 50/10 line for $73 a month--------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that including the modem lease?

Not including the modem lease, but I have a SB6120 that I bought a few years ago when I was on Charter.

brooklynman4
join:2004-09-07
Brewster, NY

1 edit

brooklynman4

I have the 60/40 quantuim package with there phone service I pay 80 a month its worth it when your on fiber trust me.
Synbios
Arlington, VA

Synbios

said by brooklynman4:

I have the 50/40 quantuim package with there phone service I pay 80 a month its worth it when your on fiber trust me.

That's a great deal. I guess I just wish true FTTH was available to me. Since it's not, I don't know why their costs aren't significantly reduced to reflect the terrible speeds of the VDSL method.
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona to Synbios

to Synbios
VZ thinks demand for their product is infinitely inelastic (people will still buy, given any price...). Eventually this methodology will fall apart. Like another poster said, people would love to take Verizon's money away from them. The former VZ CEO said flat out that they're not competing on price, they're competing against others with their superior product. I do periodic comparisons between VZ and Comcast, and when the dust settles, it's still neck and neck when you figure in FCC costs, equipment rental etc etc....

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Synbios

Premium Member

to Synbios
When you're pricing higher than Time Warner as they are up here you know you may have crossed over the line. Don't get me wrong I love VZ FiOS and when I first started with them they had great price points compared to their competitors but in the last year or so their prices have skyrocketed. I've have to downsize my plans twice just to stay within what I'll pay. The next increase I'm back, sadly, with friggin' TW but I'll be damned if I'll just continually be used as an ATM. It doesn't work that way with me.

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek to Synbios

to Synbios
I pay 149.99 for my bundle so my 150/65 cost about $59

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Synbios

Premium Member

to Synbios
Nothing around here ( and most of Florida ) is anywhere close to the speed and low latency's FIOS provides. Price, well the only other option for my 84/39 line would be dedicated and 10X the cost.
dmine45
join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA

dmine45 to Synbios

to Synbios
It's more than fast Internet. It's reliable Internet, good quality VoIP phone, and better HD video (for those on the triple play such as myself). It's a package deal that no cable company can ever beat.

Is FiOS more expensive? Probably. But they excel in everything EXCEPT customer service. Fortunately I hardly ever need to call them about anything since the service is rock solid, even during power outages (since the fiber is passive unlike cable).

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to Synbios

to Synbios
I think its pretty obvious that Verizon does not want people just purchasing internet service as overhead for the Fiber installation does not even out over 5-7 years.

Triple/double play is the only way that FIOS can make a decent return (their viewpoint, not mine) on their investments.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to birdfeedr

to birdfeedr
Yea FiOS plans are highly rigged to encourage use of their triple play.
In my area PrimeHD TV is only $10 more than just internet 15/5.
And if you want a dvr, it costs $10 more for the double play than the triple play with their current promotions, than if you upgrade to the triple play you get the dvr is free.

FIOSMAN
@verizon.net

FIOSMAN to dmine45

Anon

to dmine45
Long time customer here, I was recently transitioned to FIOS 3/1 (Already had DSL and phone) Now I pay ~35 per month. I also get ~5/4 consitently. No issues at all the first 8 months.
Isn't the issue with Comcast Cable the slowdowns that occur when a lot of people are on in the same neighborhood?

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79 to Synbios

to Synbios
I agree it's expensive but from a business stand of view it's really not when you use multiple devices
manshow
join:2013-01-23
Washington, DC

manshow to Synbios

to Synbios
said by Synbios:

I have been looking at internet only plans for FiOS in Arlington, VA (22209). I live in an apartment building that has the ONT in the basement and VDSL from there. These are the current plans available (not counting promotions, these are the actual monthly prices)

3/1 $65
10/2 $75
20/5 $85
30/5 $95

Who in their right mind would pay $65 for 3/1 service? That's reminiscent of Cable/DSL from 2000. If these speeds are so bad why are they so expensive? I know people with FiOS in other ares and are paying a fraction of these prices for more than twice the speed in most cases. These speeds and prices are embarrassing.

few people actually pay retail prices. promo prices are in line with competitors.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Excluding the VDSL packages (Those IMHO should really be cheaper) the bandwidth for the price is actually a bargain compared to hosting a server somewhere.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to Synbios

to Synbios
I dropped from my 155/65 to 15/5 because I don't download anything anymore.
ScrawnyB
join:2004-05-18
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

Don't ya hate that when you're downloaded all of the internets and left nothing to spare?
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Yep I now save $35 a month in my pocket.

FIOSINSSMD
@verizon.net

FIOSINSSMD to Synbios

Anon

to Synbios
I have FIOS 15/5 and 2 DV phone lines and pay about $77.00 including all taxes in Silver Spring, MD. Do have a loyal customer and another bundle discount but thats only about $15 off.
Check with them and see what you can get.
The ran fiber, installed a 612 ONT, and ran about 75' of cat5e ethernet cable to the actiontec router they installed. All at no cost to me.
Synbios
Arlington, VA

Synbios to FIOSMAN

to FIOSMAN
said by FIOSMAN :

Long time customer here, I was recently transitioned to FIOS 3/1 (Already had DSL and phone) Now I pay ~35 per month. I also get ~5/4 consitently. No issues at all the first 8 months.
Isn't the issue with Comcast Cable the slowdowns that occur when a lot of people are on in the same neighborhood?

3/1 line for 35 a month is more in line with what I consider a fair price. That's especially awesome that you get a lot more than the advertised speed.
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona to Synbios

to Synbios
I was stepping thru the pricing wizard for my mother, who I'd like to get on FIOS. The price was 'x' when I had 15/5 selected, and when I selected "3/1" the price INCREASED BY $30 A MONTH.. I kid you not. They really want to sell those faster packages.

She's not an existing VZ DSL customer, she's actually on [what was] Cavalier for voice and data.