All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mkaishar
join:2000-12-20

mkaishar

[Equipment] UBNT or MikroTik?

Not for a WISP, but might have a project coming up soon and need to weigh in on the pros/cons of each brand.

It's a nursery needing to get lit up, mostly for a wireless LAN and less for the internet connectivity. Outdoor terrain with a mix of flat, trees, hillside, etc...not sure yet until I get the topology map.

Looking at routing the entire LAN from hop to hop, does UBNT or MikroTik support routing directly on their units?

I would like to avoid adding more devices if not necessary, this is why I was looking for an integrated solution.

Technical complexities are not an issue, my networking skills can cover everything, assuming the wireless, los, Fresnel, etc...all is taken care of, which would you pick?

Thanks,
Mark

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

Both support routing, Mikrotik is more advanced then the UBNT gear. Any reason your not just bridging it all? Seems like this would be the easiest and quickest way unless there is some reason it has to be routed..
mkaishar
join:2000-12-20

mkaishar

hey martin,

the problem with bridging in a windows network is broadcast domains and the necessity for each device to respond.

all things being equal would you go the ubnt or mikrotik route?

mark

bburley
join:2010-04-30
Cold Lake, AB

bburley

I have deployed a couple dozen MikroTik routers and I couldn't be happier. Happy enough that even the odd glitch that turns up (no brand is immune from this) doesn't discourage me.

What I still haven't done is deployed a complete 900 MHz MikroTik based tower yet, but I am certain that I will do that soon.

UBNT radio's seem to work very well on the RF side (except the cold temperature problem) but the frustrations with the lack of networking features on the ethernet side have me losing interest in them despite the low cost. If I had never been exposed to MikroTik, I might not have known the difference.

If I can get the MikroTik's to perform as well on the RF (900 MHz) side (there are plenty of people that say it does), I will abandon UBNT in a heartbeat.
j2sw
join:2006-05-02
Williamsport, IN

j2sw to mkaishar

to mkaishar
I like the fact the UBNT units are FCC certified. Support for UBNT has been getting better. So has supply.

Having said that I am also a fan of Mikrotik. You can customize QOS at the CPE level, and do some things the UBNT units can not do.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

1 recommendation

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by j2sw:

I like the fact the UBNT units are FCC certified. Support for UBNT has been getting better. So has supply.

Having said that I am also a fan of Mikrotik. You can customize QOS at the CPE level, and do some things the UBNT units can not do.

Simple here,

UBNT for radios, mikrotik for routing.

UBNT cant do OSPF or PPPOE servers, or advanced QoS.
Mikrotik cant do airmax.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

viperm to mkaishar

Premium Member

to mkaishar
For routing routing I would choose the Mikrotiks as well. UBnt gear is so inexpensive for RF transport its almost a no brainer, but if you want the mikrotik stuff works well RF as well. We tired 900 and it failed miserably for us. We had great signals with yaggies and or panels yet the thruput was horrible and it would just drop all the time. Finally gave up on it..
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila to mkaishar

to mkaishar
Have you guys forgotten about UBNT's impossible to get Edgemax routers? Kidding of course (although the spec's look great).

I like Inssomniak's answer.....

UBNT is great at making quality low-cost RF gear. While MT offers the same in a mature low-cost platform that does full routing- BGP, OSPF, RIP, firewall, VLAN, QoS, hotspot, CALEA data retention capable, and on and on.