share rss forum feed

zorxd

join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to Haplo

Re: [Homephone] VOIP thoughout the house using existing line

You can pull/cut the wires. No problem. As long as there is only one source of voltage on a copper pair, you will be fine. Bell is a source, an ATA is one too. Don't mix them!

If you have cable internet it's simple. Just disconnect Bell.
If you have DSL internet, you have to use different pairs for DSL and VoIP.

Haplo

join:2013-01-21

1 edit

I have cable. I don't want to cut anything. I was wondering if pulling out the gray cable in the picture below would be enough or if I have to do remove another cable. Most specifically do I need to remove something in the bell part of the box?

»/r0/download/1···arc1.jpg

bell guy

@bellmobilite.ca

u dont have to do nothing to the box outside, all u need to do is look for a modular jack near ur hydro panel, if not, simply add one, its only 2 wires screwed onto 2 terminals you disconnect bell from the inside wiring and put your voip into the inside wiring and that sit.

Haplo

1 edit

That sounds really complicated. Pulling the wire from outside box wont do the trick?

That also wont work for me because my VOIP modem is going to be setup in my bedroom where my cable modem is. The hydro panel is in the basement.

Edit: This is the vid I was talking about.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBupiEkVUNA

Haplo

reply to bell guy

Is there anyway to do it though the Telephone box? My VOIP modem is going to be in my room (2nd floor) and the Hydro panel is in the basement. There were multiple people saying you could do the same thing from the panel outside and that it's actually a lot easier.